Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Network 3.0 Ridiculous Build Thread....

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-23, 05:14 PM
aaronM46

Bikes: A Janky Schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

I started out with a lemon of a bike. You can see the beginnings of this in this thread https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...nt-issues.html .

This NEW thread is to see how ridiculous I can be with the base I started with. I intend to upgrade this 'Base' with whatever I want, to see what I get out of it. Yes, I know this is stupid, dumb, and ridiculous but it will make me happy to do it and may provide others with entertainment and knowledge. Please review the thread mentioned previously to see what has brought me to do this. I am doing this for enjoyment more than anything and any suggestions will be appreciated. Let's keep this civil.

This is what is have started with (Schwinn Network 3.0):

Old 04-21-23, 05:26 PM
aaronM46

Unfortunately, I am right in the middle of this so you won't get to see a lot of the intermediate steps. I am just going to move forward with the build from the picture below. Yes, it is a mess and yes my girlfriend hates it. Luckily she doesn't live here.
Likes For aaronM46:
Old 04-21-23, 05:43 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I’d say you made a pretty good start!
Old 04-21-23, 05:54 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
those are freewheel cogs. at least we now know for certain that you can't put a 9speed cassette on the rear wheel.

also... getting a lighter seatpost without the springy thing will reduce the weight of the bike by over 1/2 lb. .. and that is high up weight, so it will be immediately noticed!

a better crankset with nice straight chainrings made of high grade aluminum will also help! .. and that fork is a porker too... a Marzocchi Bomber or Rockshox Reba with 80 to 100mm travel would make a nice upgrade.

shop now, then buy as money allows.

Last edited by maddog34; 04-21-23 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-21-23, 06:58 PM
aaronM46

Originally Posted by maddog34
those are freewheel cogs. at least we now know for certain that you can't put a 9speed cassette on the rear wheel.

also... getting a lighter seatpost without the springy thing will reduce the weight of the bike by over 1/2 lb. .. and that is high up weight, so it will be immediately noticed!

a better crankset with nice straight chainrings made of high grade aluminum will also help! .. and that fork is a porker too... a Marzocchi Bomber or Rockshox Reba with 80 to 100mm travel would make a nice upgrade.

I am working on a parts list of items I am going to use as we speak. Everything has already been ordered. If something is wrong I can return it. The crankset is an Origin8 48/38/28.

The seat post is already gone.
Likes For aaronM46:
Old 04-21-23, 07:03 PM
aaronM46

Parts List:
Front Derailleur - Shimano FDM313X6
Rear Derailleur - Shimano Sora ‎RDR3000GS
Crankset - Origin8 175mm 48/38/28T
Rear Cassette - Shimano Sora HG50 9 Speed Cassette 14-25T
Rear Disc brake adapter from Amazon - Aluminum - I previously mentioned that the bracket was already on the frame but I was mistaken
Brakes - Zoom Hydraulic Disc Brakes F&R
Shifters - Shimano Altus RapidFire 3x9
Wheels - Croft Comp 700c
Tires - Fincci 700x38c
Fork - Bolany rigid for discs
Bottom Bracket - Shimano BB-UN300
Old 04-21-23, 07:07 PM
aaronM46

I am using an Aluminum disc conversion bracket for the rear brake to start. If it is unacceptable to me I will just weld on a bracket to the frame. I am already leaning this way because why half a** anything?
Old 04-21-23, 07:46 PM
aaronM46

Originally Posted by maddog34

OH, thank you for the fork recommendations. I currently ride on smooth streets so I don't need suspension BUT I have been considering buying parts to swap over when I want to go on trails. For instance, if I want to go on trails I could swap my fork out for a suspension fork. I don't particularly like a suspension fork on the street at all so being able to swap it whenever would be nice. I know that would seem very strange for almost everyone but for me I wouldn't mind the few minutes to switch over.
Old 04-21-23, 08:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 3,999 Times in 2,668 Posts
I wish I had that kind of disposable income that I could waste time and money on a modern low end Schwinn. Though if I had that money I would buy one of those fancy cars to show off or maybe a bling bling jewelry necklace with my name in gold and diamonds (because diamonds are forever)
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-21-23, 08:51 PM
aaronM46

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I wish I had that kind of disposable income that I could waste time and money on a modern low end Schwinn. Though if I had that money I would buy one of those fancy cars to show off or maybe a bling bling jewelry necklace with my name in gold and diamonds (because diamonds are forever)
I am not rich. I just spend carefully almost always so I can do stupid things like this rarely. Also, look up my parts list. Nothing there is expensive if you compare the parts list to actual high-quality components. I chose close to the bottom of the barrel price-wise while carefully inspecting reviews for quality. The parts I have selected are not amazing. They are budget parts that might actually closely compare to something very good. I will find out.

The parts list as a whole makes no sense. Just buy a good bike to start with. My point is to see what is possible. You can take my findings for one component and possibly apply it to your needs.

This clearly isn't scientific and I am going from one grade to a higher grade all at once so I cannot rate each component individually as each is upgraded. I will be able to compare everything as a whole and a wheel feels different than a shifter so I will be able to differ what the components felt like before and after.

Last edited by aaronM46; 04-21-23 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-21-23, 09:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by aaronM46
I am not rich. I just spend carefully almost always so I can do stupid things like this rarely. Also, look up my parts list. Nothing there is expensive if you compare the parts list to actual high-quality components. I chose close to the bottom of the barrel price-wise while carefully inspecting reviews for quality. The parts I have selected are not amazing. They are budget parts that might actually closely compare to something very good. I will find out.

The parts list as a whole makes no sense. Just buy a good bike to start with. My point is to see what is possible. You can take my findings for one component and possibly apply it to your needs.
I know it is near bottom of the barrel components but the bike is underneath the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality and not worth upgrades. The only time I would put more than a tubes worth of money into it would be if I was desperate and had nothing else and in that case I would do the absolute bare minimum to keep the bike safely functional till I can put the money towards a bicycle that will suit my needs. Trying to adapt a bike that is not designed for disc brakes and that is already of lower quality for disc brakes which can put a lot of force into a frame and damage it is just a poor idea as well.

Seth/Berm Peak used those parts because he is a youtuber and needs to film content and it was interesting to watch. He makes plenty of money (which is great as I love his content and want him to continue) but I wouldn't follow in his footsteps with some of those chosen parts.
Old 04-21-23, 09:26 PM
aaronM46

I know it is near bottom of the barrel components but the bike is underneath the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality and not worth upgrades. The only time I would put more than a tubes worth of money into it would be if I was desperate and had nothing else and in that case I would do the absolute bare minimum to keep the bike safely functional till I can put the money towards a bicycle that will suit my needs. Trying to adapt a bike that is not designed for disc brakes and that is already of lower quality for disc brakes which can put a lot of force into a frame and damage it is just a poor idea as well.

Seth/Berm Peak used those parts because he is a youtuber and needs to film content and it was interesting to watch. He makes plenty of money (which is great as I love his content and want him to continue) but I wouldn't follow in his footsteps with some of those chosen parts.
I am starting with a frame. What is 'underneath the bottom barrel' about the frame other than not having a rear disc bracket? The frame appears to be very well made other than the modification to the steel portion I had to make for the B screw on the rear. Adding a conversion bracket for the rear disc is harmless to attempt and if needed I can weld on a new alloy bracket. Just my time would be required. I do have the TIG welder to do it. Do you think that this frame cannot handle disc brakes? I don't believe disc brakes could incur any stress upon this frame. It is not a chopstick thin roadbike frame.

I love this. This is precisely why I am doing this. I am going to be wrong most of the time but I am presenting things. We will see how it goes. Thank You for being respectful! I want to keep up this conversation as I do this.

Last edited by aaronM46; 04-21-23 at 09:30 PM.
Likes For aaronM46:
Old 04-21-23, 09:37 PM
aaronM46

OH, and I don't have a Youtube channel to profit from this. I am just having fun and making friends. Follow along and learn from my mistakes or success.

Do you think I should make non-profit videos of what I am doing? I think it would be me droning like an a** and showing you things I JUST learned in much too much detail than I am actually qualified to teach and actually have no experience in. Much like most Youtube videos.

EDIT: I don't have time to do video editing to put my dumb stuff on Youtube. I could record it but I don't have time to edit it. I do think it would be cool to put it all back together and do it all one part at a time though.

Last edited by aaronM46; 04-21-23 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-21-23, 09:49 PM
aaronM46

So my next step has been to strip the frame of almost everything. There is nothing left except the bottom bracket. The bottom bracket requires a 36mm spanner. It will be here in a few days. I am at a standstill until the parts and tools arrive.

I have considered sanding and repainting the frame in the meantime but I have decided to leave it to show where it started. Someday I will do this.
Old 04-21-23, 09:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I am starting with a frame. What is 'underneath the bottom barrel' about the frame other than not having a rear disc bracket? The frame appears to be very well made other than the modification to the steel portion I had to make for the B screw on the rear. Adding a conversion bracket for the rear disc is harmless to attempt and if needed I can weld on a new alloy bracket. Just my time would be required. I do have the TIG welder to do it. Do you think that this frame cannot handle disc brakes? I don't believe disc brakes could incur any stress upon this frame. It is not a chopstick thin roadbike frame.

I love this. This is precisely why I am doing this. I am going to be wrong most of the time but I am presenting things. We will see how it goes. Thank You for being respectful! I want to keep up this conversation as I do this.
It is a modern Schwinn, Schwinn has long thrown out any concept of quality years ago. The only quality they have had recently has been branding on frames made by others in their Homegrown series or some other odd balls.

Yes I do believe a frame designed only for rim brakes is not designed to handle disc brakes if it were made to handle disc brakes they would have put the mounts for them on there and probably included them with the bike though back in the 90s early 2000s the mounts were becoming a bit more common but many still used linear pull brakes rather than switching to discs. I certainly wouldn't trust a random mount either on a mission critical part. Plenty of great high quality shoes, pads, cables and housing which will provide excellent stopping power to a bike. I do like disc brakes but if the bike isn't designed for them I am fine running rim brakes I am currently staring at 4 bikes with rim brakes that stop extremely well granted two of them are using the top of the top end of road rim brakes, one is on 7403 Dura Ace calipers (so old but high end for the day) but my little hybrid is just running Deore V-Brakes but the pads and shoes are Kool-Stop but that bikes stops really well.

It is an interesting conversation. I am always kind of fascinated where people spend money like this. I am all for a parts bin bike I have built plenty over the years but on those I try not to buy new stuff I try to use what I have in the bins.

I don't think you should make videos unless you have the interest in it. I mentioned Seth as a he did this for content you don't need to do it because you have no need for content you could just buy the bike that suits your needs and go ride it. If he doesn't create content then he is basically putting himself out of a job, which I don't think he wants to do as it got him a home and a very sweet titanium hardtail amongst a whole lot of other great stuff in life but that Sage...Yumm O)))
Old 04-21-23, 10:14 PM
aaronM46

It is a modern Schwinn, Schwinn has long thrown out any concept of quality years ago. The only quality they have had recently has been branding on frames made by others in their Homegrown series or some other odd balls.

Yes I do believe a frame designed only for rim brakes is not designed to handle disc brakes if it were made to handle disc brakes they would have put the mounts for them on there and probably included them with the bike though back in the 90s early 2000s the mounts were becoming a bit more common but many still used linear pull brakes rather than switching to discs. I certainly wouldn't trust a random mount either on a mission critical part. Plenty of great high quality shoes, pads, cables and housing which will provide excellent stopping power to a bike. I do like disc brakes but if the bike isn't designed for them I am fine running rim brakes I am currently staring at 4 bikes with rim brakes that stop extremely well granted two of them are using the top of the top end of road rim brakes, one is on 7403 Dura Ace calipers (so old but high end for the day) but my little hybrid is just running Deore V-Brakes but the pads and shoes are Kool-Stop but that bikes stops really well.

It is an interesting conversation. I am always kind of fascinated where people spend money like this. I am all for a parts bin bike I have built plenty over the years but on those I try not to buy new stuff I try to use what I have in the bins.

I don't think you should make videos unless you have the interest in it. I mentioned Seth as a he did this for content you don't need to do it because you have no need for content you could just buy the bike that suits your needs and go ride it. If he doesn't create content then he is basically putting himself out of a job, which I don't think he wants to do as it got him a home and a very sweet titanium hardtail amongst a whole lot of other great stuff in life but that Sage...Yumm O)))
A frame is just what it is made of and its measurements. What it was intended for does not mean it isn't stout enough to handle something else. Pressures put on a frame by disc brakes vs rim brakes are not like The Incredible Hulk vs PeeWee Herman. Your thoughts are based on findings with no validity. Show me an example where someone converted to disc brakes from rim brakes and the frame failed. You cannot because it is impossible. Just some English dude's speculation without any scientific fact. The pressure put on the frame from ANY type of bicycle brake is on the bracket and is verticle in nature which is elevated by the frame. Any pressure that would break the bracket or brake caliper would have to be enormous in pressure and would break the caliper well before breaking the frame or bracket. I don't know where you heard this nonsense from but basic physics doesn't apply.

EDIT: My conversion bracket that I will try could slip which would cause issues

Last edited by aaronM46; 04-21-23 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-21-23, 10:49 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Such a waste of bandwidth that the starving orphans could use.
Ignore List
Old 04-21-23, 11:21 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
I love building up a Walmart frame, currently rollin' a Kent Glendale. The only true weight weenie part on this bike is the front wheel (Record hub, Sun Equalizer rim and butted spokes) and I've got her down to 20.5 lbs as shown. I'm thinking 19.5 might be possible swapping out tires, saddle, seatpost and bars, maybe even 19 even if I can catch a deal on a light rear hub (I have another Sun Equalizer rim waiting to be built up).

RE: disc brakes. I wouldn't bother on the rear. Too much trouble and Zoom brakes aren't that good anyways, so stick with the V-brakes in back.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 04-21-23, 11:59 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
I'm not sure it matters what the frame was 'designed' for. It matters greatly that there are no disc tabs on the frame. TIG welding a critical alignment component with no jig? No way to heat treat? No way to paint the damaged area? I guess this was why the o.p. asked us to be civil. I fear the dam will not hold for much longer.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 04-22-23, 12:39 AM
aaronM46

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Such a waste of bandwidth that the starving orphans could use.
Ignore List
Such a lib way of thought. Forget the technology that feeds you.
Old 04-22-23, 12:48 AM
aaronM46

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I'm not sure it matters what the frame was 'designed' for. It matters greatly that there are no disc tabs on the frame. TIG welding a critical alignment component with no jig? No way to heat treat? No way to paint the damaged area? I guess this was why the o.p. asked us to be civil. I fear the dam will not hold for much longer.
You have many great points, but keep in mind the stressors we are dealing with. We aren't dealing with much stress at all. You act like it is crazy. Welding is simple.
Old 04-22-23, 02:31 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Parts List:
Front Derailleur - Shimano FDM313X6
Rear Derailleur - Shimano Sora ‎RDR3000GS
Crankset - Origin8 175mm 48/38/28T
Rear Cassette - Shimano Sora HG50 9 Speed Cassette 14-25T
Rear Disc brake adapter from Amazon - Aluminum - I previously mentioned that the bracket was already on the frame but I was mistaken
Brakes - Zoom Hydraulic Disc Brakes F&R
Shifters - Shimano Altus RapidFire 3x9
Wheels - Croft Comp 700c
Tires - Fincci 700x38c
Fork - Bolany rigid for discs
Bottom Bracket - Shimano BB-UN300
A part of me wants to encourage this pointless endeavor just to shed some positivity, but there's nothing on the parts list to keep me engaged. You didn't ask for my opinion but there is literally nothing on that list that I would glance twice at, much less put onto a build. Have fun and good luck, though.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 04-22-23, 05:47 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
Cannondale Quick CX3 $640

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 04-22-23, 06:44 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Building a bottom feeder frame with cool vintage XTR might be more interesting.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-22-23, 07:32 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
You have many great points, but keep in mind the stressors we are dealing with. We aren't dealing with much stress at all. You act like it is crazy. Welding is simple.
Actually, the stresses are appreciable, particularly under hard braking and on stays not designed to handle them. Yes, welding is simple but precise alignment, as required by disc brakes, is not.

I don't want to pile on the negative comments but I agree this is a poorly thought out project. Another attempt at "a silk purse from a sow's ear". Your money and time can be put to better uses.
Likes For HillRider:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.