Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Single question to assess shade tree mechanics?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-23, 07:49 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts

While (coincidentally) changing out chainrings, I got to thinking about how some riders barely fix their own flat tires, some build their own bikes, and there's a wide range of demonstrated mechanical aptitude in between. And of course you have those who are still riding a 40 year old bike, fixing it as they go, and others who just bought a new bike because it has 12 speeds. )The latter probably won't have anything old enough to repair!) So I was wondering, is it possible to ask a single question, and figure out if the person responding is a good enough wrench to handle just about any repair that it's worth an amateur's time to buy? I'm thinking, leave things BB threading and chasing to a proper bike shop, and handle anything less than that at home.

And of course, since I was working on chainrings, the question that came to mind was, "Have you ever changed your own rings?" The implication would be someone who has can probably change their own cables and housings, wrap their own bars, etc. Is it fair to judge a person's bike maintenance skills like that? Would there be a better question to ask?
Old 05-05-23, 08:22 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
“My bike is shifting poorly. How do I fix it?” If the answer is “check the limit screws” run away. Run far away.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-05-23, 09:22 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
How do you stress relieve wheels when you are building them?

If someone can properly build wheels, it is likely they can do normal adjustments, install bearings properly, and use hot melt wax on chains.
Old 05-05-23, 09:28 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
While (coincidentally) changing out chainrings, I got to thinking about how some riders barely fix their own flat tires, some build their own bikes, and there's a wide range of demonstrated mechanical aptitude in between. And of course you have those who are still riding a 40 year old bike, fixing it as they go, and others who just bought a new bike because it has 12 speeds. )The latter probably won't have anything old enough to repair!) So I was wondering, is it possible to ask a single question, and figure out if the person responding is a good enough wrench to handle just about any repair that it's worth an amateur's time to buy? I'm thinking, leave things BB threading and chasing to a proper bike shop, and handle anything less than that at home.

And of course, since I was working on chainrings, the question that came to mind was, "Have you ever changed your own rings?" The implication would be someone who has can probably change their own cables and housings, wrap their own bars, etc. Is it fair to judge a person's bike maintenance skills like that? Would there be a better question to ask?
You might be better guided by the wrong answers you get, like "adjust limit screws to fix bad shifting" comment. If I want to know what kind of a mechanic I'm talking to, I would ask what all they do in their annual maintenance overhaul. This will give you a good idea of what they know how to do and how thorough they are.
Old 05-05-23, 09:40 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
this is a genuinely interesting question ! Reading many of the threads in this forum may provide some answers.

/markp
Old 05-05-23, 09:53 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
I agree with wheel building experience.

I help assess new volunteers at a non-profit shop, so I'm interested in these answers too. Good question.
Old 05-05-23, 09:57 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
You might be better guided by the wrong answers you get, like "adjust limit screws to fix bad shifting" comment. If I want to know what kind of a mechanic I'm talking to, I would ask what all they do in their annual maintenance overhaul. This will give you a good idea of what they know how to do and how thorough they are.
Well, if you pick the right components, you never have to do annual maintenance. I have 14 bikes in my garage and I never take one apart unless I’m swapping out the frame. I have to do so little maintenance on my own bikes that I volunteer to work on bikes.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-05-23, 10:08 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,438 Times in 2,764 Posts
Do "shade tree" bike mechanics exist? Outside of shops, folks I know with bike skills seem to work only on their own bikes and sometimes bikes belonging to friends. Interesting question, though. Someone could have been an ace mechanic for years but not have any interest in hydraulic brakes, Di2 or new Shimano front derailleurs. I think replacing chain rings would be a pretty low bar. Curious to see other suggestions.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-05-23, 10:19 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I agree with wheel building experience.

I help assess new volunteers at a non-profit shop, so I'm interested in these answers too. Good question.
I consider wheel building to be a true “master mechanic” skill but someone can be a fairly competent mechanic without knowing how to build a wheel. In fact, most “good” mechanics probably don’t know the first thing about wheel building. They can true a wheel or replace a spoke but actually building a wheel from components isn’t a common skill…even in commercial shop settings.

I too assess…and teach…new volunteers at non-profits. There isn’t really one simple thing that tells me if people know what they are doing or not when it comes to working on bikes. I can usually tell quickly if the person has zero experience, of course. If they ask, “what’s a tire?”, I know I’m working with a newbie. But often even relatively competent mechanics can have gaps in their knowledge. Someone this week asked me if a derailer looked bent (it was) but he had no idea how to use the derailer hanger alignment tool. A bit of instruction and he was up to speed. His other work is competent enough but as with most people there are gaps in knowledge.

I’ve had several fairly competent volunteer mechanics go through my mechanics class learn something that they had never known before. Not many people going through my wheel building class actually build a wheel outside of class but they often tell me that they find the exercise helpful to understanding how truing works.

Old 05-05-23, 10:29 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Do "shade tree" bike mechanics exist? Outside of shops, folks I know with bike skills seem to work only on their own bikes and sometimes bikes belonging to friends. Interesting question, though.​
Kinda. Most of the ones I run across are working in volunteer organizations. Over the decades, I run across a lot of “professional” mechanics who really aren’t.
Someone could have been an ace mechanic for years but not have any interest in hydraulic brakes, Di2 or new Shimano front derailleurs. I think replacing chain rings would be a pretty low bar. Curious to see other suggestions.
I somewhat agree. I can do hydraulics but don’t like to (too messy). I’ve not seen any Di2 shifters at my local co-op but we don’t see too many new bikes at all. Those kinds of things go to commercial shops and are too new to hit the donations pipeline yet.

I would also look at the mechanic question from 180°. Many newer mechanics are competent on new systems but wouldn’t be able to adjust a cantilever brake to save their lives. I’m sure there are some out there who couldn’t figure out how to get a freewheel off a hub.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-05-23, 10:47 AM
pdlamb

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Do "shade tree" bike mechanics exist?
I surely hope so! It's my favorite place to work on my bikes (unless it's too hot, or too cold). Nice thing about working on bikes, the tree doesn't haveto be an oak with a horizontal branch strong enough to hoist the engine.

I think replacing chain rings would be a pretty low bar. Curious to see other suggestions.
I was thinking more about longevity of the bike or rider, TBH. The time before you start truing or building a bike wheel can be a matter of buying a machine built wheel, or grinding a rim down to needing to replace it. At least IME, replacing a chain ring started after I trued and built wheels, or replaced chains, brake pads, cassettes, bottom brackets, etc. ad nauseum.

FWIW, I like the idea of listening for wrong answers. The problem I see with that is that an answer may be right, though not the best answer, simply because it could have been what the respondent experienced last that caused his or her problem. For a misbehaving derailer, for instance, "check for a bent derailer hanger" is technically correct, though it's probably not what most of us would check first.
Old 05-05-23, 11:08 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Well, if you pick the right components, you never have to do annual maintenance. I have 14 bikes in my garage and I never take one apart unless I’m swapping out the frame. I have to do so little maintenance on my own bikes that I volunteer to work on bikes.
My bikes don't get annual maintenance overhauls. Now years ago when I raced, my race bike got a new headset every winter. (They stayed like-new about 8000 miles. Bike went about 5000 a year. I didn't want my no-hands steering to get funky late summer.) Winter bike did get a thorough overhaul every spring along with re-built wheels. It went all through the winter as my "car" on the salt roads of Boston. Bike was a mess and wheels were square by March. Beyond that, work as needed.
Old 05-05-23, 11:14 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
I think a good entry-level, just set foot in the door question for them would be "how do you remove a non-drive-side (left) pedal?"
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 05-05-23, 11:23 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
"Ever overhaul a Sturmey AW?"
Old 05-05-23, 11:25 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I'd be real impressed if a mechanic could replace bearings on a Powertap hub, face a BB, overhaul Campy shifters, isn't afraid of mixing and matching component brands, knows the advantages and disadvantages of different lubricants, etc. But answering a RD adjustment question correctly is so lame as to be meaningless in determining if a mechanic knows anything.

If they can stop SRAM HRD brakes from squeeling, they go right to god-like in my hierarchy.
Old 05-05-23, 12:17 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Interesting topic! To use your own example, what if someone started out with a fixie or single speed and changed chainrings for a desired gear ratio? They may have never changed cables and housings, or adjuster a derailleur.

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
How do you stress relieve wheels when you are building them?

If someone can properly build wheels, it is likely they can do normal adjustments, install bearings properly, and use hot melt wax on chains.
For what it’s worth, I have built hundreds of wheels, but stopped being a (paid) mechanic and wheel builder many years ago and only recently added disc brakes and tubeless tires to my stable. I have yet to need to service my hydraulic brakes, I am still doing a lousy job of setting up tubeless tires (including on the new wheels I just built for myself), and I have yet to even touch electronic shifting.

Last edited by urbanknight; 05-05-23 at 12:30 PM.
Likes For urbanknight:
Old 05-05-23, 12:26 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I'd be real impressed if a mechanic could replace bearings on a Powertap hub, face a BB, overhaul Campy shifters, isn't afraid of mixing and matching component brands, knows the advantages and disadvantages of different lubricants, etc. But answering a RD adjustment question correctly is so lame as to be meaningless in determining if a mechanic knows anything.

If they can stop SRAM HRD brakes from squeeling, they go right to god-like in my hierarchy.
Considering that so many people get the derailer adjustment…not just the rear, by the way…wrong, it’s a good place to start. Replacing bearings in a hub, and facing a frame for a bottom bracket are fairly sophisticated mechanical operations to perform and usually beyond the ability of “a shade tree mechanic” if for no other reason that they don’t have the tools to do some of that kind of work. Mixing and matching components brands requires a very deep knowledge of components which, again, is probably beyond most “shade tree mechanics”.

I can not tell you the number of people who simply don’t understand how a derailer works nor how to make it work properly and who immediately reach for the nearest screw driver to fix the problem. Derailer problems are never …well, almost never…anything that can be fixed with a screwdriver. If someone can’t fix a derailer problem in less than 30 seconds…usually without tools…they aren’t much of a mechanic.

Old 05-05-23, 12:26 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

“My bike is shifting poorly. How do I fix it?” If the answer is “check the limit screws” run away. Run far away.
The only correct answer to that is to ask for more specifics on how it’s shifting poorly. Anybody who pretends to know how to fix it based on that little info is just blowing smoke.

I consider wheel building to be a true “master mechanic” skill but someone can be a fairly competent mechanic without knowing how to build a wheel. In fact, most “good” mechanics probably don’t know the first thing about wheel building. They can true a wheel or replace a spoke but actually building a wheel from components isn’t a common skill…even in commercial shop settings.
This was my experience as well. When I was a shop mechanic, the head mechanic taught me a great many things and was leaps and bounds faster and more thorough than me, but he couldn’t (or wouldn't) build a wheel. In no way did I ever become a master mechanic either, and I most certainly have “gaps” in my knowledge and skills.

Last edited by urbanknight; 05-05-23 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-05-23, 12:30 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

If someone can’t fix a derailer problem in less than 30 seconds…usually without tools…they aren’t much of a mechanic.
I once adjusted a friend’s RD while riding next to them. Does that impress anyone?
Old 05-05-23, 01:24 PM
pdlamb

Replacing bearings in a hub, and facing a frame for a bottom bracket are fairly sophisticated mechanical operations to perform and usually beyond the ability of “a shade tree mechanic” if for no other reason that they don’t have the tools to do some of that kind of work.
Depends. Cup and cone bearings only take a couple of wrenches (granted, one needs to be a $15 cone wrench). Caged bearings that need a puller and press, I concede your point.

Originally Posted by urbanknight
I once adjusted a friend’s RD while riding next to them. Does that impress anyone?
Depends. Were you riding in a car, hanging out the window at 40 kph?
Old 05-05-23, 01:44 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Surely this depends on whether you made it shift better or worse?
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-05-23, 02:00 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Depends on a few factors imo.
a question about how they service there own stuff doesn't necessarily mean it'll be gradable for their mechanimechanical aptitude. . Asking a gear ratio or compatibility of components also does give much to go off of.
if it's a troubleshooting question to someone else's bicycle, it could shed light on some capabilities.
best approach for finding out is to see them in action, or ask them a specific question about there repairs or maintenance on there specific equipment & making it obvious that you're asking in order to figure out how in-depth they are to mechanical aptitude.
Back dooring it with your question[s] might leave a lot on the table for figuring out.
Old 05-05-23, 02:12 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Ask them what question they would ask to assess a bike mechanic.
Likes For csport:
Old 05-05-23, 02:53 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
Perhaps some interesting answers to; How do you change the shift cable in a grip shifter? Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 05-05-23, 03:00 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
A man's got to know his limit

Well, yeah.

I'm a shade-tree mechanic in the sense that I will work on bikes for friends, family and neighbors. The secret to my success is knowing what I don't know. Most of my "repairs" are lubing a chain, changing a tire or cable, adjusting the brakes or derailers. If there's anything that's much beyond that, I send 'em to the LBS. The last bike I did for a neighbor, I wiped off the crud, oiled the chain and pumped the tires. She was delighted! On a badly-messed-up teenager's bike, I told the parents that I thought it was unsafe and that they should either seek pro help or trash it. And I have changed many a chain ring on my current (30-year-old) bike.

"A man's got to know his limit (screws)."
Likes For BCDrums:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.