Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fork Crack Diagnosis

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Carbon Fork Crack Diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-23, 04:47 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
I agree, the minimal does look sexy. I've been eyeing up one on tradeinn.com which seems to be the cheapest place for me for anything they have in stock: Link. The page title says 1" but the commentary discusses 1" and 1.125" without an option to select. I might have to enquire with their help desk.

Originally Posted by Camilo
... and if you want to go high zoot, there's always Wound Up.
That option I did not discover on my own. Thanks for that.

But if you use a regular stem with a shim, regular spacers and top cap work.
Nooo... I tried that. Prior to tightening the cap bolt, the spacers were all shifty laterally. Unacceptable. My shim was only 38 mm long, same as my stem.

I have a true, 1" Syncros stem in my parts bin that came with the Zeppelin. I'm going to sit on it until 2050 an then sell it on eBay to finance my retirement.
Old 06-15-23, 09:14 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
I would take some goo gone and verify that that it is not a crack. I'd peel off the sticker and clean it up with the goo gone and see if the line goes away. If it doesn't a new fork is a couple hundred and an ambulance trip is a couple thousand. Carbon does fatigue and carbon forks weren't really meant to last a life time.
Old 06-15-23, 10:08 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,201 Times in 761 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74
I agree, the minimal does look sexy. I've been eyeing up one on tradeinn.com which seems to be the cheapest place for me for anything they have in stock: Link. The page title says 1" but the commentary discusses 1" and 1.125" without an option to select. I might have to enquire with their help desk.

That option I did not discover on my own. Thanks for that.

Nooo... I tried that. Prior to tightening the cap bolt, the spacers were all shifty laterally. Unacceptable. My shim was only 38 mm long, same as my stem.

I have a true, 1" Syncros stem in my parts bin that came with the Zeppelin. I'm going to sit on it until 2050 an then sell it on eBay to finance my retirement.
I think I must have used a shim sleeve below the stem too so the spacers wouldn't shift. OR.... maybe I used 1" spacers. At the time, they were easy to find on Ebay, I still have some I think
Old 06-16-23, 09:16 AM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I would take some goo gone and verify that that it is not a crack. I'd peel off the sticker and clean it up with the goo gone and see if the line goes away.
Oh, there's no chance that the imperfection is just the edge of a decal. I think that the best case scenario is that it's a paint crack initiated by the presence of the decal but not a carbon crack.
Old 06-16-23, 09:18 AM
Harold74

I think I must have used a shim sleeve below the stem too so the spacers wouldn't shift.
That never even occurred to me but might, on balance, be a better solution. The numbers should work out about right using three spacers, a 40 mm stem and two 40 mm shim sleeves. That's pretty much how it's set up presently anyhow.
Old 06-16-23, 09:55 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts

wut

does this mean I won’t be forced to sell our beanie baby collection ?

edit: ughhh you are prob referring to 1” threadless ... darn

Last edited by t2p; 06-16-23 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-16-23, 10:47 AM
Camilo

That never even occurred to me but might, on balance, be a better solution. The numbers should work out about right using three spacers, a 40 mm stem and two 40 mm shim sleeves. That's pretty much how it's set up presently anyhow.
You're bringing back my vague memory of this. I believe my spacer stack was about the same as the length of the shim, so I somehow made a shim work under the stem for the spacers. I do use a tall stack of spacers - 35-40mm
Old 06-16-23, 11:11 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,632 Times in 1,048 Posts
Just looked into how to evaluate cracks in Carbon materials. WOW... Holy Mackerel Batman... It's a bugger. Even with Magnaflux methods, Sonogram, X-Ray, and stress flexing there is really no guarantee.

I also called over to a friend of mine who is a retired structural engineer. He laughed as he told me that it is common for aircraft engineers to ditch some carbon composites and return to well know alloys for reassurance of predictable strength and inspection purposes.

So is the fork toast or not?

DUH? But failure could be catastrophic...
Old 06-16-23, 03:33 PM
Camilo

I would take some goo gone and verify that that it is not a crack. I'd peel off the sticker and clean it up with the goo gone and see if the line goes away. If it doesn't a new fork is a couple hundred and an ambulance trip is a couple thousand. Carbon does fatigue and carbon forks weren't really meant to last a life time.
I don't disagree with the cost of a new fork vs. an ambulance ride. But why do you say that CF forks aren't really meant to last a lifetime? Why not? And does this imply that steel or aluminum forks are intended to last a lifetime? Or are they all intended to last a good long time, but not a life time?
Old 06-16-23, 04:55 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 411 Posts
... Carbon does fatigue and carbon forks weren't really meant to last a life time.
Carbon fiber is not a crystalline structure like metals and so has no "fatigue life" which is a metallurgical term that just doesn't apply here. If it's structure is damaged from a load or event it is damaged goods, broken and should be taken out of service or repaired if possible.

Last edited by easyupbug; 06-16-23 at 05:02 PM.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 06-16-23, 09:04 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
I don't disagree with the cost of a new fork vs. an ambulance ride. But why do you say that CF forks aren't really meant to last a lifetime? Why not? And does this imply that steel or aluminum forks are intended to last a lifetime? Or are they all intended to last a good long time, but not a life time?
Although bikes often come with "lifetime" guarantees, there's a reason the warranty doesn't last past the original owner, most people who regularly use them won't keep them very long before upgrading to something new. I've even had arguments on frame failures where they argued being over 25 years old meant that it was outside the warranty period since they considered 25 years a lifetime for a bike. Companies also only keep replacement framesets for 5-10 years, and past a certain point you're often only getting a credit towards a new bike since the replacement frameset they might offer you isn't compatible with your old parts. I wouldn't trust an aluminum fork, particularly a bonded one any more than I would a carbon fork. I would trust steel far more but unless its a low mileage bike there's a point I'd relegate it to social rides.

Originally Posted by easyupbug
Carbon fiber is not a crystalline structure like metals and so has no "fatigue life" which is a metallurgical term that just doesn't apply here. If it's structure is damaged from a load or event it is damaged goods, broken and should be taken out of service or repaired if possible.
You're right that it doesn't have a fatigue life but it does have a service life. Carbon does experience micro fracturing that can slowly build into cracks, they're meant to last quite a while but I wouldn't trust one with an unknown history or showing signs of stress. GCN covers this extensively
Old 06-16-23, 10:50 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Although bikes often come with "lifetime" guarantees, there's a reason the warranty doesn't last past the original owner, most people who regularly use them won't keep them very long before upgrading to something new. I've even had arguments on frame failures where they argued being over 25 years old meant that it was outside the warranty period since they considered 25 years a lifetime for a bike. Companies also only keep replacement framesets for 5-10 years, and past a certain point you're often only getting a credit towards a new bike since the replacement frameset they might offer you isn't compatible with your old parts. I wouldn't trust an aluminum fork, particularly a bonded one any more than I would a carbon fork. I would trust steel far more but unless its a low mileage bike there's a point I'd relegate it to social rides.

You're right that it doesn't have a fatigue life but it does have a service life. Carbon does experience micro fracturing that can slowly build into cracks, they're meant to last quite a while but I wouldn't trust one with an unknown history or showing signs of stress. GCN covers this extensively https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeNX9QqN6B8
This really has not been fully discussed and opined on in the over 30 years carbon mass produced bicycles have been offered. This would be a good opportunity for the forums to freely discuss the merits and the negative aspects of carbon fiber used in bicycle products. Your comments are insightful and innovative and may save countless lives from inevitable death.

I also like where you going with have manufactures keep replacement frames on hand for multiple decades just in case, I see nothing problematic with that idea whatsoever.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 06-16-23 at 10:56 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 06-17-23, 03:07 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 1,473 Times in 1,020 Posts
I think I must have used a shim sleeve below the stem too so the spacers wouldn't shift.
I agree that shimming the entire exposed length of the steerer is the way to go for a 1" steerer. I used a 60 mm long, 25.4 mm to 28.6 mm seat post shim: Amazon.com: Thinvik 60MM Bike Seat Post Shim 22.2mm, 25.4mm, 27.2mm to 25.4mm,27.2mm,28.6mm,30.4mm,30.8mm,31.6mm Bicycle Seatpost Tube Adapter-25.4mm Shim to 28.6mm : Everything Else
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 06-17-23, 08:30 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
1" threaded steel fork... Available new, in qualities ranging from garbage to as-good-as-has-ever-been-made.

1" threaded headset... Available new, in qualities ranging from garbage to as-good-as-has-ever-been-made.

1" quill stem... Available new, in qualities ranging from garbage to as-good-as-has-ever-been-made.

Remove and replace front end. Add a pound or so to bicycle. Ride not-significantly-heavier bicycle. Without having random "am I gonna die today?" thoughts drifting through your head.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 06-18-23, 10:28 AM
biker222

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I had a 2000 Zeppelin Airborne that ended up with crack on down tube near bottom bracket after 17yrs.
Had some scary high speed descent wobbles with that bike in Colorado. The new Dean Ti frame is big improvement in descending.
Likes For biker222:
Old 06-19-23, 06:57 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
As I said, I put the Ritchie Comp fork in. In looking at the picture (my bike is hanging upside down, which is why the pic has this orientation - also I held up the cardboard to block the distracting background). I think I'd like a think internal spacing tube to get better alignment of the spacers. But the setup works.

Old 06-19-23, 08:04 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
As I said, I put the Ritchie Comp fork in. In looking at the picture (my bike is hanging upside down, which is why the pic has this orientation - also I held up the cardboard to block the distracting background). I think I'd like a think internal spacing tube to get better alignment of the spacers. But the setup works.

why don’t the spacers line up? Are you using 1 1/8” spacers on a 1” steerer tuber? You need 1” spacers to press down on the headset wedge correctly.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 06-19-23, 08:35 AM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
^^^ Get some proper 1" spacers or you'll get slop which if isn't an immediate problem it might cause the fork race and headset cups to work loose after some miles. You need close fitting spacers to keep things flush and especially with a stack that long. https://www.jensonusa.com/Problem-So...t=All+Products
Old 06-19-23, 12:04 PM
Harold74

Originally Posted by ShannonM
1" threaded steel fork... Available new, in qualities ranging from garbage to as-good-as-has-ever-been-made.

1" threaded headset... Available new, in qualities ranging from garbage to as-good-as-has-ever-been-made.

1" quill stem... Available new, in qualities ranging from garbage to as-good-as-has-ever-been-made.

Remove and replace front end. Add a pound or so to bicycle. Ride not-significantly-heavier bicycle. Without having random "am I gonna die today?" thoughts drifting through your head.

--Shannon
I priced out all of those options previously and found them largely unpalatable relative to my perception of the overall value of the bike. I too have Google. In CAD, for quality stuff, the butchers bill for that list can be well in excess of $500 CAD. In the 1" threadless, procurable in Canada category, the options are very slim and quite expensive.

I'm probably going to replace the 1" fork on my Airborne this afternoon with either the Ritchey Comp or the Columbus Minimal. I'm only willing to do that now because I rebuilt the bike two years ago and, having spent some significant saddle time on it now, I finally feel that the investment is justified. The Zeppelin Airborne has an uncommon geometry with a front end that started off too low for me. It was very much in question whether or not I'd be able to get the fit dialed in with that bike.

I do have the odd "am I gonna die today?" thought when riding. And that does suck. That said, as a structural engineer, my days are filled with "am I gonna kill anybody in this building or on this bridge today?" thoughts. I'm quite used to digesting risk in high stakes situations.
Old 06-19-23, 12:07 PM
Harold74

I think I'd like a think internal spacing tube to get better alignment of the spacers. But the setup works.
I agree. I see no functional issue with it so long as the spacers are providing reliable, uniform compression at the headset and stem interfaces which, I'm sure, they are.
Old 06-19-23, 02:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3675 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts

Hard to tell from the pic but is the stem one that could be flipped? You might be able to lose some of the excessive spacer stack and still retain your bar height.
Old 06-19-23, 02:31 PM
Harold74

Originally Posted by biker222
I had a 2000 Zeppelin Airborne that ended up with crack on down tube near bottom bracket after 17yrs.
I've read reviews indicating weld problems. If I'm not mistaken, the Airborne is one of the cheapest Ti frames ever sold. This is one of the reasons that I've been reluctant to use mine on the indoor trainer.

One thing that I may have working in my favor is that I'm not a strong rider by any stretch of the imagination. I could probably use a Coke can for a bottom bracket and be alright.

Originally Posted by biker222
Had some scary high speed descent wobbles with that bike in Colorado. The new Dean Ti frame is big improvement in descending.
I have read reviews of this being a problem and have actually experienced it myself. It was absolutely terrifying. Due to a lack of frame torsional stiffness as I understand it. I guess this was a non-issue with steel but, when we switched to other materials, it took a while before frames were designed for a specific torsional stiffness.

Was you bike set up with drop bars in classic road bike fashion?

I inherited my bike set up for triathlon use with aero bars and bullhorns. That's how it was when I got the speed wobble. A couple of years back, I rebuilt the bike as a drop bar setup hoping that would dampen lateral vibration of the front end a bit. I also went with wide, flared gravel bars to try to improve matters even more (Redshift Kitchen Sink). It looks quite ridiculous on a road bike. I haven't had speed wobble on the bike since I switched to drop bars but, then, I also haven't taken the bike over 50 kph since then either. The Airborne gives a lovely ride in my opinion and I'm currently using it for 90% of my training rides which are close to home and on rolling hills. I don't know that I'm ready to trust the Airborne in the mountains yet. I have a Lynskey as an eventual replacement for the Airborne.

Old 06-19-23, 02:51 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
I've read reviews indicating weld problems. If I'm not mistaken, the Airborne is one of the cheapest Ti frames ever sold.
Hmmm... I've put about 8,000 miles on my Carpe Diem over the last ~22 years (it's just one of my bikes). I'm a heavier (~215 pounds) rider. My frame has held up well.
It *was* less expensive than some alternatives, but I was able to specify a lot of the features. I have no regrets, and no worries.

This has been a good bike for over 20 years.
Old 06-19-23, 02:59 PM
Harold74

Originally Posted by sweeks
My frame has held up well...This has been a good bike for over 20 years.
I'm glad to hear it. Hopefully mine gets a similar run. My Airborne wasn't ridden from 2005 to 2020 so she's only about eight years old in terms of riding time

I like that your seat stays meet up with your top tube concentrically. I think that would improve weld crack resistance at that joint which is where some cracking has been reported on the Airborne's
Likes For Harold74:
Old 06-19-23, 05:20 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
^^^ Get some proper 1" spacers or you'll get slop which if isn't an immediate problem it might cause the fork race and headset cups to work loose after some miles. You need close fitting spacers to keep things flush and especially with a stack that long. https://www.jensonusa.com/Problem-So...t=All+Products
Except what has been discussed is to use a sleeve inside the 1 1/8 spacers so there's no slop. The same sleeve that is used to adapt a 1-1/8 stem to the 1" steer tube. I've done both (used 1" spacers and 1-1/8 w/ sleeve). Both work.
Likes For Camilo:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.