Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

BEWARE – Merlin Metalworks, DEAN Bikes, Janus Cycle Group

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

BEWARE – Merlin Metalworks, DEAN Bikes, Janus Cycle Group

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-23, 09:54 AM
Steve_sr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Mackers
So you rode a different bike on your tour?
Yes, my Litespeed road bike. It didn't really like the rail trail sections but survived.
Old 08-03-23, 10:01 AM
Steve_sr

Originally Posted by smd4
You may very well be correct. It's not like people don't get screwed over. But do we really have "full context?" I haven't followed this saga except for this thread. Did Merlin/DEAN/Janus ever respond? (Not that I would expect they would, but I have seen such responses occasionally). Or do we just have the OP's side of things?
They stopped responding once I reported that the bike was basically unrideable due to the seat tube defect. THe new folks didn't recognize that this was a problem and likely had no idea how to fix it.
Old 08-03-23, 10:06 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve_sr
Yes, my Litespeed road bike. It didn't really like the rail trail sections but survived.
Thanks for clarifying, makes more sense now.

(re. fork and seat tube situation)
Old 08-03-23, 10:07 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
They stopped responding once I reported that the bike was basically unrideable due to the seat tube defect. THe new folks didn't recognize that this was a problem and likely had no idea how to fix it.
I didn't mean a response filtered through you. To paraphrase Rick H., it's not that I don't trust what you say--I just don't trust anyone. I'd rather hear their side of the story from their point of view, but that's not likely to happen.

I'm not sure why you just don't unload this turd? There are so many other bikes/builders to choose from.
Old 08-03-23, 10:08 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
This stuff is designed for carbon and not aluminum interfaces
SUPERGRIP™ CARBON AND ALLOY ASSEMBLY COMPOUND

I assume by alloy they mean including aluminum. Many of us have had slipping seat posts from time to time and have solved the problem with friction paste, can't see why it can't be used across different materials. Better than hanging the bike on a wall and not riding it as from what you describe that is the only reason the bike can not be ridden.

I can understand that the purchasing experience has not been wonderful but from what you describe efforts have been made to mitigate your disappointment. Good luck and hope you find enjoyment with the bike eventually.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 08-03-23 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-03-23, 10:12 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Good luck and hope you find enjoyment with the bike eventually.
I wouldn't wait for that eventuality. I'd just sell it and move on. This is becoming melodramatic.

Life's too short.
Old 08-03-23, 10:56 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3675 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
It could be worse. Remember this? Beware of the Desperado and here more and here mtbr and here rbr

Last edited by shelbyfv; 08-03-23 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-03-23, 11:12 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
It could be worse. Remember this? Beware of the Desperado and here more and here mtbr and here rbr
Those were all before my time here. But startingly similar! $14,000? Ouch.
Old 08-03-23, 11:14 AM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve_sr;

I have considered financial redress with the builder but this gets complicated. Small Claims court might be an option if I wasn’t located 2000 miles from the builder. Court is always in the jurisdiction of the business, outcome is not guaranteed and the costs involved in being there can be significant. Credit card chargeback is useless as they won’t get involved in a dispute over “the quality of a good or service”.
You mention chargeback. In the UK we have a thing called section 75 if you have paid with a credit card, and it makes the credit card responsible for defective goods. I have no idea if you have this in the US or maybe something else similar?

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org....-bought-credit

This lets you raise a claim against your bank or lender for a breach of contract or misrepresentation by the supplier of goods or services for such things as;
  • I’m unhappy with what I was told about the goods or services before I bought them
  • goods I paid for are of poor quality or defective
  • the services I paid for weren’t carried out with reasonable care and skill
  • I bought something that turned out to be unfit for its intended purpose
  • the item I paid for never turned up, or the service I was expecting was cancelled and I didn’t get refunded
  • I’m unhappy with how the supplier tried to put things right
  • my purchase was cancelled or disrupted because of the Covid-19 pandemic

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/section75-protect-your-purchases/
Section 75 means that if you pay for something costing over £100 and less than £30,000 on credit, the lender's equally liable (along with the retailer) if something goes wrong.

Last edited by cb400bill; 08-03-23 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-03-23, 11:26 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
This stuff is designed for carbon and not aluminum interfaces

FWIW, the instructions that came with my custom Kirk (steel) said specifically to use this type of product, weather aluminum or carbon seatposts. explanation was (not exact words) was that as carbon frames are not as precise sizing wise as a milled metal frame, seat posts are gettin produced slightly undersized to deal with the impreciseness. Not every seatpost I would guess and maybe more carbon posts than aluminum, but it was enough of an observed concern that is was very clearly called out

bit of surprise to me who as always used grease

Old 08-03-23, 11:38 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by awac
You mention chargeback. In the UK we have a thing called section 75 if you have paid with a credit card, and it makes the credit card responsible for defective goods.
My guess is that after two years, that ship has sailed.

Sell the bike!
Old 08-03-23, 11:51 AM
Steve_sr

SUPERGRIP™ CARBON AND ALLOY ASSEMBLY COMPOUND

I assume by alloy they mean including aluminum. Many of us have had slipping seat posts from time to time and have solved the problem with friction paste, can't see why it can't be used across different materials. Better than hanging the bike on a wall and not riding it as from what you describe that is the only reason the bike can not be ridden.
I don't think that any friction compound would be effective in this situation as there is so much slop in the tube that the post will rock side-to-side and work its way down.

BTW, the Litespeed has the same titanium tube with an aluminum shim regular clamp has gone almost 100K miles with no seat tube issues. No friction paste required.

I can understand that the purchasing experience has not been wonderful but from what you describe efforts have been made to mitigate your disappointment. Good luck and hope you find enjoyment with the bike eventually.
I don't see how you can call this disaster a "disappointment". Once notified that they left a customer with a defective and unrideable bike they cut off all communication!
Old 08-03-23, 12:01 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
I didn't mean a response filtered through you. To paraphrase Rick H., it's not that I don't trust what you say--I just don't trust anyone. I'd rather hear their side of the story from their point of view, but that's not likely to happen.

I'm not sure why you just don't unload this turd? There are so many other bikes/builders to choose from.
From the other thread:

There is no 'other side of the story'. The frame builder plain screwed up and is now playing possum.

As to selling the frame- exactly who would buy an unuseable frame with a problem like this?
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 08-03-23, 12:26 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
As to selling the frame- exactly who would buy an unuseable frame with a problem like this?
Is this a rhetorical question??

So...from here on out, all we have to look forward to from the OP is threads *****ing and moaning about this terrible bike? He doesn't want to be out there riding? He'd rather just complain? After two years of this?

Last edited by cb400bill; 08-03-23 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-03-23, 12:45 PM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

My guess is that after two years, that ship has sailed.

Sell the bike!
But do you have a section 75 in the US, it might help someone else. I am trying to find a cut off date on section 75, not found it yet.
Old 08-03-23, 12:46 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by awac
But do you have a section 75 in the US, it might help someone else. I am trying to find a cut off date on section 75, not found it yet.
Here, it's probably at the discretion of each credit card company.

EDIT: A Google search says "120 days if you have a complaint about the quality of goods or services." (Experian--a credit rating agency). Like I said...that ship is well over the horizon. Might be docking at Southampton by now!

Last edited by smd4; 08-03-23 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-03-23, 12:48 PM
awac

Here, it's probably at the discretion of each credit card company.
Check it out. It is not a well known or publicised thing here…..I always pay with credit card now if it is over £100.
Old 08-03-23, 01:29 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Is this a rhetorical question??

So...from here on out, all we have to look forward to from the OP is threads b itching and moaning about this terrible bike? He doesn't want to be out there riding? He'd rather just complain? After two years of this?
He dropped $7000 on this bike. I'd say he is perfectly within his right to complain. Also- the point is this thread is to warn other people about this company. A public service in other words.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 08-03-23, 01:35 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
From the other thread:

There is no 'other side of the story'. The frame builder plain screwed up and is now playing possum.

My understanding is these frames came with an aluminum sleeve. In this case, the sleeve is not installed and not sure why. The purchaser did not use a sleeve, or the manufacturer assembled the bike without a sleeve. I doubt that the manufacturer shipped the bike with the post installed, so that is on the person assembling the bike. Perhaps the post is the wrong size? My recent new steel adventure bike, which I had built required a sleeve to fit a standard 27.2 post, this sleeve came with the bike. Something just doesn't seem right about all this.
Old 08-03-23, 01:48 PM
smd4

He dropped $7000 on this bike. I'd say he is was perfectly within his right to complain. Also- the point is this thread is to warn other people about this company. A public service in other words.
I consider myself warned. So I guess we don't have to see any more threads on this particular bike frame?
Old 08-03-23, 01:49 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Folks don't seem to check references anymore. Thus we have rants on internet forums. My thoughts are you roll the dice and take your chances. If you can afford a $7k bike build then perhaps you should also be able to afford an out of town lawsuit. OP's side of things sound compelling to me but as others have said it is just one side. Sounds like shoddy workmanship. However a chain, $30. Did you ride on the fork? If so then it is used and the builder loses money on that part. Oversize seat tube you could have one custom manufactured by a local machine shop if the size isn't available elsewhere. No matter what a distasteful and expensive proposition. I can understand the desire to soil a reputation.
Old 08-03-23, 01:51 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
You have to look at the thread in framebuilding to understand how truly awful this frame is. Person who put the shim in at the builder's probably said "can't see it from my house" and laughed.
Old 08-03-23, 02:10 PM
icemilkcoffee 

I consider myself warned. So I guess we don't have to see any more threads on this particular bike frame?
This is the one and only thread which named the builder. In any event, feel free to ignore thread if you've already been warned.
Old 08-03-23, 02:17 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by unterhausen
You have to look at the thread in framebuilding to understand how truly awful this frame is. Person who put the shim in at the builder's probably said "can't see it from my house" and laughed.
Maybe so. Maybe it was welded together with hot glue. Absolutely none of this matters at this point. The time has passed to get a chargeback from the CC company. I don't know the laws in the OP's state, but it's likely the statute of limitations has passed to allow him to seek legal redress. The way I see it, these are the options:

1). Continue looking for ways to make the bike rideable; and live with what he's got. Consider it a $7,000 lesson. The time for crying is over with.

2). Try to sell the frame to an informed buyer, and take the proceeds and buy a new dream bike. Consider it a $7,000 lesson. The time for crying is over.

3). Do either of the above, and make a BBB complaint, just for s's and grins.

Merlin/DEAN/Janus continues on their merry way, until adverse reputation starts to eat away at business. The threads posted here may help in that regard...at least among the folks who frequent this place. The manufacturer is clearly finished responding to the OP--for reasons we may not even know about.

Last edited by smd4; 08-03-23 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-03-23, 02:37 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out if the bike was $7000, or the frame was. If it was the complete bike, strip it of all the components and buy another frameset. Sure, it may cost the OP money again, but it's far better than hanging a useless $7K piece of wall art.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.