Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Coaster brake squeak

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Coaster brake squeak

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-23, 06:24 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Coaster brake squeak

20” bike with coaster brake is the bike I am talking about in this post

It just starts squeaking

after pulling it out of the trunk of a car and reassembling it.

it was fine before then

today I took it apart and re greased everything and it still squeaks

it only squeaks when I am peddling. When I coast the squeak stops.

I then took apart the crank set and re greased everything and that was not it

I thought it was the dust cover on the bearing race nut on the sprocket side rubbing on the inside

but I took out the bearing race nut and the bearing on the sprocket side and spun the wheel via the sprocket. With the sprocket side up with one hand on the under side holding up the wheel by the brake lever. It still squeaked.

what else should I try

a bearing race nut is a term that I just made up. Bc when a nut acts as a bearing race and a bearing race acts as a nut. It makes sense to me to call it a bearing race nut.
Old 08-29-23, 07:31 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
My next test was removing the sprocket and spinning the wheel via the spokes this time and there was no squeak. So I inspected the clutch piece and took it apart the clutch the spring and washer that sit inside the clutch had no grease. I put a dab of grease put it all together and no more squeak. Good as new. Hopefully this help someone else in the future.
Likes For AtNjineer: