Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dented Seat Stay (Aluminum)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-23, 02:21 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts

Just want to know what my options are. Long story short: Brand new bike, week old, got taken out in a group ride. Along with chipped paint and some bent parts the rear seat stay got dented. I will know soon if a new frame is even possible but if not can I continue to ride it like this? What should I look for l?
and if it fails will it be catastrophic or slow?

Old 09-06-23, 02:50 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
I would say that is cosmetic only.

Touch up the paint and stay out of groups who ride like they have something to prove.

/markp
Old 09-06-23, 02:57 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by mpetry912
I would say that is cosmetic only.

Touch up the paint and stay out of groups who ride like they have something to prove.

/markp

Guy was from out of town. Hopefully, I never see him again.
Old 09-06-23, 03:49 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Totally safe. With good touch up paint, filler and patience you can make it go away.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 09-06-23, 04:52 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by Kontact
Totally safe. With good touch up paint, filler and patience you can make it go away.

If I put filler, I wouldn’t know if it cracks right?
Old 09-06-23, 06:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,998 Times in 2,668 Posts
It is not cosmetic only sorry but keep a close eye on it and maybe reach out to the OEM and see if they have a crash replacement or warranty on it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-06-23, 06:55 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by bampilot06
If I put filler, I wouldn’t know if it cracks right?
If it cracks, it won't be down in the dent where the filler is.

And it won't really matter. You aren't going to crash because one stay cracked.
Old 09-06-23, 07:35 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
Leave it as it is as a constant reminder to be aware of those around you at all times and the unpredictability and chaos that can ensue...
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 09-06-23, 07:38 PM
Paul_P

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
It is not cosmetic only sorry but keep a close eye on it and maybe reach out to the OEM and see if they have a crash replacement or warranty on it.
What about insurance, either their's or yours ?
Old 09-06-23, 07:40 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Kai Winters
Leave it as it is as a constant reminder to be aware of those around you at all times and the unpredictability and chaos that can ensue...
Sure. Wear torn bike shorts as well.
Old 09-06-23, 11:42 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
It's a seat stay, and the dent doesn't seem too catastrophic (sharp crease or crack) so odds are it'll last until something else kills off the bike.

Use body filler and a bandaid. Or use some trim, and do the same on the other side and forget about it.
Old 09-07-23, 01:02 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Matching and Blending Clear coated Metallic Paint is NOT easy.

Leave it be... ride it.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 09-07-23, 02:40 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by Kai Winters

A jerk from out of town joined our group ride. I am assuming he decided to go for a KOM during the ride. I was number 3 in the pace line. Number 1 peeled off, Number 2 had to slightly go around him, I followed number 2. This guy decided to go between the number 1 guy who was rotating to the back and the number 4 guy. He hits number 1 tire, doesn’t go down but loses control and catapults into number 4 and they both get thrown into me all at 28-30 mph.

So aware of my surroundings? Not really much I could do to avoid this. Completely unnecessary.

Took this right before the crash.

Along with the dent. It bent a chain ring, bent the hanger, broke the barrel adjuster off the RD. bent the rear wheel, slight wobble in the front wheel, and cracked my helmet.

Havnt looked to see if my home insurance policy would cover it, but that would just cause my rates to go up.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 09-07-23, 06:46 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Man, tough crowd.

Sucks your new bike got wacked. On the bright side you now no longer have to worry about that first scratch.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 09-07-23, 07:07 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
A jerk from out of town joined our group ride. I am assuming he decided to go for a KOM during the ride. I was number 3 in the pace line. Number 1 peeled off, Number 2 had to slightly go around him, I followed number 2. This guy decided to go between the number 1 guy who was rotating to the back and the number 4 guy. He hits number 1 tire, doesn’t go down but loses control and catapults into number 4 and they both get thrown into me all at 28-30 mph.

So aware of my surroundings? Not really much I could do to avoid this. Completely unnecessary.

Took this right before the crash.

Along with the dent. It bent a chain ring, bent the hanger, broke the barrel adjuster off the RD. bent the rear wheel, slight wobble in the front wheel, and cracked my helmet.

Havnt looked to see if my home insurance policy would cover it, but that would just cause my rates to go up.
bent a chain ring! Nasty.

Nice bike. Is that an alu Emonda?
Old 09-07-23, 07:19 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by choddo
bent a chain ring! Nasty.

Nice bike. Is that an alu Emonda?

Yes the 2023 ALR.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 09-07-23, 11:28 AM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
FWIW: I'm a structural engineer. Which, of course, does not make me a professional bicycle designer.

I have some level of concern for seat stays because:

1) I believe that they support the bulk of the rider's weight and are among the most -- if not the most -- heavily taxed compression members of a bike frame.

2) Seat stays tend to be slender, as yours are.

In my work, I routinely deal with industrial building columns that get dented by forklifts. If the dent is very near the bottom of the column, I don't usually fix it. If the dent is near the middle of the column, I absolutely do as the dent will promote premature, catastrophic buckling without warning.

I like that your dent is kind of near the end of the member. I would like it if it were closer to the end of the member.

Does your frame have a brake bridge above the rear tire (disk brake obviously)? That would add to my comfort level a bit as the connection to the adjacent stay would tend to brace the damaged stay.

If this were my own bike, I would be a bit concerned.

To a degree, this might be something that you could load test, ideally simulating dynamic effects somehow. Maybe have a big guy stand on the pedals and jump up and down at the least.

As for fixing, I'd like to see the dent pulled out. I doubt that would be possible without damaging the paint however.

Old 09-07-23, 11:33 AM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Looks like no brake bar.

Old 09-07-23, 12:01 PM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74
FWIW: I'm a structural engineer. Which, of course, does not make me a professional bicycle designer.

I have some level of concern for seat stays because:

1) I believe that they support the bulk of the rider's weight and are among the most -- if not the most -- heavily taxed compression members of a bike frame.
Interestingly, not according to this simulated analysis of a 75kg rider - in fact the body of the seat stays don't even feature in the high stress areas for any of the load cases they assessed (front & rear wheel bump, climbing out of saddle, climbing in the saddle). The upper area of the join of seat stay to seat tube did show up as a stress point for rear wheel bump and climbing in the saddle but with stresses quite a bit lower than other areas. Outside of the chain stays took the brunt of it, moreso on the drive side, especially when climbing out of the saddle.
https://pdf.sciencedirectassets.com/...07160/main.pdf
Old 09-07-23, 12:08 PM
bampilot06

I just went back to the shop to look at the bike again. I concerned the seat stay had buckled where the dent was, and also the seat stay was bent towards the chain stay.

Happy to report no sign of buckle nor did the seat stay bend towards the chain stay. Looks like it’s just the dent.

I am still waiting to see whether or not I can get a new frame.

I sold two bikes to build this so, if I a new frame isn’t an option, then I will have to just ride it as it.
Old 09-07-23, 12:50 PM
Harold74

Interestingly, not according to this simulated analysis of a 75kg rider
Can you repost the link? I didn't take me to the paper which I'd love to check out.

...in fact the body of the seat stays don't even feature in the high stress areas...
I'll reserve final judgment until I see the paper but the stress analysis may not be relevant here. OP's problem isn't material stress, it's member capacity. And those two things can be quite different. Members that experience mostly tension or flexure will tend to achieve stresses close to their yield stress. Same goes for joints. A slender compression member like a seat stay, however, is likely to buckle long before it reaches it's yield stress.

However much of a rider's weight is assumed to rest on the rear wheel, the seat stays will wind up resisting a compression load larger than that. It's just truss math. And dynamic factors will only increase that load.

Last edited by Harold74; 09-07-23 at 12:55 PM.
Likes For Harold74:
Old 09-07-23, 12:52 PM
Harold74

Another potential issue with this is fatigue. Aluminum is very prone to fatigue issues. Hence the sacrificial derailleur hanging thing. To an extent, the dent will act as a stress riser for the compression stresses passing through it. And that ought to lower it's fatigue resistance.
Old 09-07-23, 12:55 PM
Harold74

Happy to report no sign of buckle nor did the seat stay bend towards the chain stay. Looks like it’s just the dent.
That's great, I was going to ask about that.

I sold two bikes to build this so, if I a new frame isn’t an option, then I will have to just ride it as it.
If it's any consolation, were I to bet money on the outcome here with no regard for your safety, I would absolutely bet that you will not have problems with the stay. I'd take maybe... 8:1 odds on that.
Old 09-07-23, 01:04 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2487 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74
Can you repost the link? I didn't take me to the paper which I'd love to check out.

I'll reserve final judgment until I see the paper but the stress analysis may not be relevant here. OP's problem isn't material stress, it's member capacity. And those two things can be quite different. Members that experience mostly tension or flexure will tend to achieve stresses close to their yield stress. Same goes for joints. A slender compression member like a seat stay, however, is likely to buckle long before it reaches it's yield stress.

However much of a rider's weight is assumed to rest on the rear wheel, the seat stays will wind up resisting a compression load larger than that. It's just truss math. And dynamic factors will only increase that load.
From this page (where results of FEA testing are presented), a brief explanation of why seatstays are usually very slender:

The patterns in which the total energy is distributed among the frame tubes are also interesting. For example, the seatstays absorb most of the vertical impact loads, but they do not play a major role in the other cases. Since vertical impact is not a significant factor in overall performance, the seatstays thus become prime candidates for shedding excess material (subject to strength constraints).
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 09-07-23, 01:18 PM
Harold74

Originally Posted by Trakhak
The patterns in which the total energy is distributed among the frame tubes are also interesting. For example, the seatstays absorb most of the vertical impact loads, but they do not play a major role in the other cases. Since vertical impact is not a significant factor in overall performance, the seatstays thus become prime candidates for shedding excess material (subject to strength constraints).
Thanks for sharing that (quote from Sheldon's site). This is basically what I've been getting at. Seat stays are one of the few members on a bike frame that don't have to deal with significant bending moments. As such, they've been made slender to shed weight. But that very slenderness tends to make them fragile with respect to things like damagage.

Another plus for OP is that, with disk brakes, I'd have to imagine that much less braking induced bending stress would wind up up in the seat stays relative to rim brake setups. And that which would remain for disk brake setups would wind up in the non-drive side which is undamaged.
Likes For Harold74:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.