Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano recalls cranksets

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimano recalls cranksets

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-23, 08:24 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
For what it's worth, I have a crankset covered by this recall so I stopped into my LBS a few days ago and inquired about the process. The first words out of the owners' mouth were "You're not getting a new crank if it isn't broken." To which I replied, "How exactly is 'broken' defined?" The answer was, 'There has to be a visible gap between the two bonded surfaces of the crankarm.'

In other words, this is more like CYA from Shimano. They are absolutely not going to be giving away a million new high-end cranksets, so don't get your hopes up.

As an aside, this recall is an important topic, so perhaps it would be better to split the pedal-thread-standard conversion off into its own post. Just a suggestion.
I'm not sure why anyone would expect a working crank to be replaced, or even want to receive a crank that doesn't match the aesthetic of their out-of-production groupset.

This isn't a one-and-done. Shimano will forever be required to replace affected cranks if they start to crack.
Old 09-28-23, 08:44 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I'm not sure why anyone would expect a working crank to be replaced, or even want to receive a crank that doesn't match the aesthetic of their out-of-production groupset.

This isn't a one-and-done. Shimano will forever be required to replace affected cranks if they start to crack.
Because they are suspicious it will crack without sufficient warning in the future and they’ll be hurt.
Old 09-28-23, 08:48 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by choddo
Because they are suspicious it will crack without sufficient warning in the future and they’ll be hurt.
That is unlikely. The ones where people got hurt were likely already split open and felt funny. I've seen a bunch of people come in complaining their drivetrain felt mushy. None of them broke off.

So now you have to pay attention to the condition of your crankset. (It wouldn't hurt to inspect other things now and then, too.) It will be obvious if the bond starts to go, but it will not go from perfect to sheared off in one ride.

Flip this around - knowing that Shimano makes cranks this way, would you buy a brand new Hollowtech crank? Why assume you'll be safe on one of those? Or a recall replacement for that matter?
Old 09-28-23, 08:58 PM
choddo

That is unlikely. The ones where people got hurt were likely already split open and felt funny. I've seen a bunch of people come in complaining their drivetrain felt mushy. None of them broke off.

So now you have to pay attention to the condition of your crankset. (It wouldn't hurt to inspect other things now and then, too.) It will be obvious if the bond starts to go, but it will not go from perfect to sheared off in one ride.

Flip this around - knowing that Shimano makes cranks this way, would you buy a brand new Hollowtech crank? Why assume you'll be safe on one of those? Or a recall replacement for that matter?
Sure but if this has never happened to you, you have no idea how long it takes to go from absolutely fine to “on your arse on the tarmac”
Second question - seems more likely they’ll have learned what not to do from this.
Old 09-28-23, 09:08 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by choddo
Sure but if this has never happened to you, you have no idea how long it takes to go from absolutely fine to “on your arse on the tarmac”
Second question - seems more likely they’ll have learned what not to do from this.
They've known about this for a very long time, and kept at it because the numbers weren't bad enough to tell on themselves.

Consumers need to make choices about what they trust. If you trust Shimano cranks, trust their inspection.
Old 09-28-23, 09:40 PM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
I'm not sure why anyone would expect a working crank to be replaced...
Because that is precisely what occurs in many recalls.

or even want to receive a crank that doesn't match the aesthetic of their out-of-production groupset.
Many people prioritize safety over aesthetics.
Likes For TC1:
Old 09-28-23, 09:57 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
...It wouldn't hurt to inspect other things now and then, too...

Absolutely!

Especially with some of the newer components using special light weight alloys and composites.
Old 09-29-23, 02:31 AM
choddo

They've known about this for a very long time, and kept at it because the numbers weren't bad enough to tell on themselves.

Consumers need to make choices about what they trust. If you trust Shimano cranks, trust their inspection.
Yeah that’s true but the fact they (seem to have) figures out their mistake 3-4 years back before being forced to change process gives some level of confidence in the current range.

btw, just remembered a mate of mine had 2 go. First one he did get a feeling it was going beforehand. Second time was out of the blue on a short punchy climb. Luckily not hurt.

He’s not the kind of person to ignore his bike but he’s not OCD cleaners either.