Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Why Bike Mechanics are A-holes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Why Bike Mechanics are A-holes

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-23, 07:08 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by TobyGadd
Reading this thread made my brain hurt. Maybe all cyclists are a-holes?!
People in general
Likes For dedhed:
Old 10-21-23, 07:25 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
This is mostly on point for me, although I really endeavor to be pleasant, clear, and anti-elitist with customers. One of my favorite things is that, as one of very few mechanics in an area with a small population, I very frequently get thanked for my work when I'm out and about living my life or while riding.
For selfish reasons, I wish you were still here, but it sounds like our loss is Northern CA's gain. I am glad it has been rewarding.
Old 10-22-23, 12:29 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I have often encountered people who are expected to deal with customer interactions that are not equipped by their temperament or experience to do so. Their businesses suffer and one need only read the reviews by customers of businesses on Yelp to realize how widespread the problem can be.

A customer at a restaurant will write a negative review because the waiter took too long to bring them water and ignore mentioning the quality of the food and it is based on one visit and one interaction. They will come at the busiest time of the week and then expect "normal" service. The same applies to a bike shop customer who arrives without bothering to do any online research before arriving and expecting the shop employee to provide this as a free service. Many of these people will then go and buy a bike elsewhere to save a little money.

I have been dealing with local bike shops for the past 50 years and have never had a bad interaction. I find skill levels in my area to be very high and prices to be very reasonable. I added a PNW dropper post to a hardtail bike and the work was completed in an hour and I was charged $50 for the labor. I could have done the work myself but I preferred supporting my local bike shop.
Old 10-23-23, 11:31 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Also, I think one of the biggest frustrations is that the quality of service at shops is really inconsistent because none of the attempts (in the US at least) to regularly certify mechanics to some set of standards has really taken off in the US. I very frequently find things wrong that I know were the work of "professional" mechanics. Mostly it's little stuff--like one of our best customers had an $10kish ex-demo bike, and the B tension was set wrong--which on Shimano 12 speed MTB, literally means turning the bolt until the largest cog aligns with a mark on the back of the derailleur, taking all of 5 seconds to do to spec. It probably shifted fine, but I'm sure it shifts better now. This can make customers distrustful, and it sucks when you're genuinely knowledgeable and offering good, frank advise. One of the best feelings is when you have a customer who trusts that you both know what they want, and trust you to take care of their bikes appropriately. Insufficiently trained mechanics kind of poison the industry for those of us who take it seriously, both in terms of customer trust and in a drive for livable wages.
Old 10-24-23, 08:05 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Rude has become the default setting in our society for reasons that we are all aware of. My wife, a rather aggressive redhead, has on several occasions suggested to entitled Karens that they STFU and show some consideration for the sales person they were ranting at.
Rude is everywhere all the time. Many years ago Mr. Zappa noted, "Do you love it, do you hate it? There it is the way you made it."

Have a day
Old 10-28-23, 06:19 AM
RoadWearier

Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I got a bad review on Yelp once, when I was managing weekends at the bike co-op. It's kind of a funny story, but I won't share it. If I do, I lose, and if I don't I lose.
That's true of sharing most stories on BF.
​​​​​
Old 10-28-23, 06:59 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
Also, I think one of the biggest frustrations is that the quality of service at shops is really inconsistent because none of the attempts (in the US at least) to regularly certify mechanics to some set of standards has really taken off in the US. I very frequently find things wrong that I know were the work of "professional" mechanics.......
Very true. The guy in the video makes it sound as though all mechanics are very competent experts, and at one point he says something to the effect of "We know more than you do." I have horror stories of things that I've seen come out of a bike shop, and probably most of us do too. I think if we started a thread to give examples of shoddy workmanship or outright mistakes committed by "professional" bike mechanics, that thread would end up being pretty long.

I have all the respect in the world for truly good mechanics, but more and more it seems those guys are in the minority.
Old 10-28-23, 08:57 AM
Paul_P

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I have all the respect in the world for truly good mechanics, but more and more it seems those guys are in the minority.
A truly good mechanic can probably fetch a much higher salary in something like the aerospace industry than in a LBS.
When I worked as a mechanic (a while ago) I got paid just a bit more than minimum wage, and I didn't stay there for very long.

Not saying there aren't any good mechanics in bike shops, but they're probably not there for the money.

Last edited by Paul_P; 10-28-23 at 09:13 AM.
Likes For Paul_P:
Old 10-28-23, 09:13 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
I am not aware of any effort to regulate or train bike mechanics. Sure, there are schools and there are chains that have standardization training, but there has never been an expectation that specific education is necessary to work on bikes any more than we expect the kid at Subway to have attended culinary school.

I learned to work on bikes by reading a book. Then I read the specific instructions for components I was working on, if available. Up until recently, this should have been sufficient to make a reasonably mechanical person be able to assemble and adjust something as basic as a bicycle.

The problem now is that all sorts of stuff doesn't work as advertised from the factory and requires techniques that aren't in manuals to be serviced. So the best mechanics are no longer mechanically competent people that can read, but witch doctors with prolific memories.

For bikes mid level and above, I would say the effective quality is much lower today than it was 20-30 years ago. The need for things like disc brake mount facing tools should alarm bike consumers - why are frames leaving the factory like that? Why does a DA hydro lever not work right if you clamp it too tightly to the handlebar? Why do Shimano shifters still eat cables after all this time.

Mechanics are dealing with a lot of junk, and the public might be reasonably upset that new bikes are much harder to get right than old bikes.
Old 10-28-23, 10:22 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Reading this thread made my brain hurt. Maybe all cyclists are a-holes?!
Nah, we're just better than you.
Old 10-28-23, 10:48 AM
TobyGadd

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Nah, we're just better than you.
Since I'm a cyclist, I suppose that means that I'm better than myself as well? Or something.
Likes For TobyGadd:
Old 10-28-23, 10:53 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul_P
A truly good mechanic can probably fetch a much higher salary in something like the aerospace industry than in a LBS.
When I worked as a mechanic (a while ago) I got paid just a bit more than minimum wage, and I didn't stay there for very long.

Not saying there aren't any good mechanics in bike shops, but they're probably not there for the money.
so true ! a friend who is a helicopter mechanic, flies all over the world working on helos that service oil rigs - makes 300K a year.

got his start wrenching in a bike shop.

which tells me that there are important skills that are taught / learned by fixing bikes - but there are more rewarding and renumerative ways to use those skills

which is sad

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 10-28-23, 11:20 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
so true ! a friend who is a helicopter mechanic, flies all over the world working on helos that service oil rigs - makes 300K a year.

which tells me that there are important skills that are taught / learned by fixing bikes - but there are more rewarding and renumerative ways to use those skills

which is sad

/markp
Well, that and 2 years of on the job aviation training and an extensive exam.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 10-28-23, 12:05 PM
RoadWearier

Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
After wrestling around with a front brake caliper I gave up and took it to a shop. He replaced it for $75 and appeared to have it working. When I got it home it wasn't working at all and was rubbing terribly on the wheel. So I ended up having to readjust it. Next time I'll save myself $75.
Old 10-28-23, 03:32 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
If a repair or servicing is simple and only requires a special tool, like a brake caliper offset wrench, I will buy it. It may take me twice as long as a professional but I do not bill myself by the hour. I also have relied many times on the youtube videos that so many generous people have posted on the internet.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 10-28-23, 03:42 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts

which is sad

/markp
I went from working on bikes to copyediting articles for scientific journals. (Speaking of which: it's "remunerative," not "renumerative.")
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 10-28-23, 04:31 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Originally Posted by Trakhak
I went from working on bikes to copyediting articles for scientific journals. (Speaking of which: it's "remunerative," not "renumerative.")
I looked it up and you are right ! learned something today !

renumerativer - Search (bing.com)

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 10-28-23, 04:40 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Since I'm a cyclist, I suppose that means that I'm better than myself as well? Or something.
Yea, but you're not a(n) [insert sub set here] cyclist, therefore (ergo) I'm the more pure cyclist or something.

*whew*
being that snarky takes a lot out of you!!

Come hang out in the "not cool" section.... a lot less pressure here
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 10-28-23, 04:41 PM
CrimsonEclipse

which is sad

/markp
Troubleshooting skills transfer well to more complicated sectors.
(also, how to NOT smash your <explicative deleted> knuckles!)
Old 10-28-23, 04:58 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
I looked it up and you are right ! learned something today !

renumerativer - Search (bing.com)

/markp
It's an easy mistake; for some reason, people don't make the connection to "remuneration." (I haven't encountered anyone writing or pronouncing it as "renumeration," anyway.)

I once pointed out the same mistake to an architect friend while visiting him in his loft. He insisted that he was right and I was wrong. He then began kindly explaining that, while his private school education was not perfect in every way compared to my public schooling, it, etc. Meanwhile, I found his dictionary and showed him the definition. He took it well.
Old 10-28-23, 06:30 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

It's an easy mistake; for some reason, people don't make the connection to "remuneration." (I haven't encountered anyone writing or pronouncing it as "renumeration," anyway.)

I once pointed out the same mistake to an architect friend while visiting him in his loft. He insisted that he was right and I was wrong. He then began kindly explaining that, while his private school education was not perfect in every way compared to my public schooling, it, etc. Meanwhile, I found his dictionary and showed him the definition. He took it well.
it is the sign of a mature and confident person to be able to accept information that may point to corrective action - opportunities for improvement and growth, not a threat to their self esteem

thanks for pointing it out. It is counter intuitive as you say !

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 10-28-23, 08:41 PM
Paul_P

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
It's an easy mistake; for some reason, people don't make the connection to "remuneration."
That's got to be the most awkward word I know to pronounce. My mouth just wasn't designed for it.

I used to think it was renumeration and it made sense, coming from numeration - numbers - cash - making some. A renumeration of my bank balance.

I've avoided the word ever since I learned how it was spelled.
Old 10-29-23, 04:24 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul_P
That's got to be the most awkward word I know to pronounce. My mouth just wasn't designed for it.

I used to think it was renumeration and it made sense, coming from numeration - numbers - cash - making some. A renumeration of my bank balance.

I've avoided the word ever since I learned how it was spelled.
Yep. But it is from “munerari” (to give), not “numeralis” (relating to a number)

Yes, I just had to look the latin up because I’d always wondered…
Old 10-29-23, 07:57 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Well, that and 2 years of on the job aviation training and an extensive exam.
Or 4 years with a "fixed wing" squadron, NAVAIR is so different than the real Navy, brown shoes are special...
Old 10-30-23, 02:35 AM
88ss

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts
If you can not repair your own bicycle, then you are not a real cyclist.
Likes For 88ss: