Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing a crankset

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Replacing a crankset

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-24, 11:44 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I tried a 165mm COTTERED double crank from a Japanese 10 speed I had laying around to ascertain the correct length. It took maybe 20-30 minutes to install.
I then ordered my 165mm triple once I discovered 165mm was for me.
TEST TEST TEST before you commit.

BTW- I made up a temporary cadence sensor to also help measure results. That's how I know 160mm didn't really give me but 3 RPM more than 165's and simply didn't "feel" good.
https://www.instructables.com/Very-E...-Your-Bike-12/
"One valid test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - engineering proverb
Old 01-31-24, 12:33 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 1,474 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
... But she looks to be buying a new crank, ...
One issue that VegasJen has not yet considered is how would a new contemporary crank (either the inexpensive 12-speed one I linked above or an 11-speed model) work with her existing 9 or 10-speed drivetrains. Lots of variables there.

For example, I use 10-speed Shimano chain rings with an otherwise 11-speed Shimano drive train without issues, but she needs something else.
Old 01-31-24, 12:57 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,921 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
One issue that VegasJen has not yet considered is how would a new contemporary crank (either the inexpensive 12-speed one I linked above or an 11-speed model) work with her existing 9 or 10-speed drivetrains. Lots of variables there.

For example, I use 10-speed Shimano chain rings with an otherwise 11-speed Shimano drive train without issues, but she needs something else.
nonissue imo. Nothing sticks out as a real concern. LBS would unlikely support such setup.. it's not cookie cutter nor would all the part numbers be associated. Pretty much anything that the bicycle was never OEM fitted with would be backed by a retailer.
Old 01-31-24, 01:01 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
"One valid test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - engineering proverb
Nope-
Rear Admiral Grace M. Hopper
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/one-a...pinions-hansen
Old 01-31-24, 01:02 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Troul
nonissue imo. Nothing sticks out as a real concern. LBS would unlikely support such setup.. it's not cookie cutter nor would all the part numbers be associated. Pretty much anything that the bicycle was never OEM fitted with would be backed by a retailer.
So, you think, for example, that a 9-speed chain would work with a 12-speed crankset? I am not disagreeing, I just don't know; I had thought that the gap between chain rings in a 2x crankset is somewhat dependent on the chain.
Old 01-31-24, 01:10 AM
Duragrouch

So, you think, for example, that a 9-speed chain would work with a 12-speed crankset? I am not disagreeing, I just don't know; I had thought that the gap between chain rings in a 2x crankset is somewhat dependent on the chain.
I also don't know. But higher speed systems have everything thinner (and thus less durable, given the same material quality). So an older system like a 9 chain on 12 cogs and chainrings, I think the wider outside width of the 9 chain may be a problem on a 12 cassette with noise and possible unintended upshifts, and the wider inside diameter may be a problem on a 12 chainring as it may be less stable, may want to twist slightly.
Old 01-31-24, 03:46 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
No way is a 9speed chain fitting a 12speed cassette. There's a >1mm difference in chain width.

edit: I need to read more carefully.

Last edited by choddo; 01-31-24 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-31-24, 05:39 AM
Troul 

if it were an eight speed cassette, I'd paint a different picture with my thoughts.
9+ cassette with 11 speed crank, i expect that it'll be ok. I haven't put raw numbers together to establish a professional data sheet, but even then a real world test can reveal different outcomes that calculated data might not factor.
Old 01-31-24, 06:52 AM
Duragrouch

if it were an eight speed cassette, I'd paint a different picture with my thoughts.
9+ cassette with 11 speed crank, i expect that it'll be ok. I haven't put raw numbers together to establish a professional data sheet, but even then a real world test can reveal different outcomes that calculated data might not factor.
I'd look on sheldon brown. The site has all the "official" data, but also tons of macgyver options, such as how to put 8 on a 7 speed freehub by using thinner 9 speed cogs, spacers and chain (IIRC), etc, and many more scenarios; I think if it can be done, they have details if it works and how to do it.
Old 01-31-24, 09:18 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts

on the subject of the Shimano bonded cranks - comparison of the bonded vs bonded / machined etc - great article on 6800 vs 5800 cranks - includes pictures and weights :

https://handsonbike.blogspot.com/201...o-105.html?m=1

Last edited by t2p; 01-31-24 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-31-24, 09:32 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Yes, a 9 speed chain will work on a 12 speed crankset. The distance between rings on a crankset aren’t narrower, although the ring itself is narrower. The width of a chain is dependent on the cassette spacing, not on the crank.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-31-24, 10:18 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I also don't know. But higher speed systems have everything thinner (and thus less durable, given the same material quality). So an older system like a 9 chain on 12 cogs and chainrings, I think the wider outside width of the 9 chain may be a problem on a 12 cassette with noise and possible unintended upshifts, and the wider inside diameter may be a problem on a 12 chainring as it may be less stable, may want to twist slightly.
I was only asking about using a 9 or 10-speed chain with an 11-speed or 12-speed crank (and chain rings), not the other way. I assume that VegasJen would keep her existing chain to maintain compatibility with the rest of the drive train. I understand from using 10-speed chain rings with an otherwise 11-speed drivetrain that cassette and chain must match.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Yes, a 9 speed chain will work on a 12 speed crankset. The distance between rings on a crankset aren’t narrower, although the ring itself is narrower. The width of a chain is dependent on the cassette spacing, not on the crank.
Even so, would the greater inner width of a lower speed chain allow the chain to slide laterally across the thinner teeth of the high speed chain rings, thus leading to faster wear?
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-31-24, 11:58 AM
grumpus

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
This is at the bottom of the crank stroke.

The thing I notice is this is as high as I can have my seat position without rocking my hips, which is all but slammed on the seat tube. But just looking at the pictures, it seems like I'm making too big of circles through the arc of travel. My leg is nearly locked at the bottom of the stroke and my hip angle is very acute at the top. I could probably go down to 155 or even 150 but I'm probably going to go with 160 simply for availability if I can't get shorter crank arms that work on this set.
You do look slightly over-extended in that shot, but I know triathletes do things differently to help the transition to running. 150 mm isn't crazy short, it's only 3/4 of an inch shorter than you're riding now. I expect many of us are thinking "I could sort this out for one of my clients", like I could slap on a used crank just to try, that might not work brilliantly (poor front shifting, noisy chain) but would give you a feel for the difference in pedal action, so you were confident in choosing a good solution.
Old 01-31-24, 01:37 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I don't know anything about tandems, but if they follow bike fitting theories for road bikes, it would appear that the frame is too small for your wife. Is a longer seat post not possible?
Old 01-31-24, 04:15 PM
grumpus

Another rant on this subject: Now that everyone and his brother…emphasis on the “his” and “brother” part…has discovered short cranks it’s amazing that they are starting to become available. Half the population could have benefitted from shorter cranks for the last 125+ years but bike manufacturers have a very long history of ignoring the needs of that half of the population.
Weren't 6 inch cottered cranks pretty standard issue on ladies' bikes up to the 1960s, along with 590 mm rims?
Old 01-31-24, 04:20 PM
grumpus

I don't know anything about tandems, but if they follow bike fitting theories for road bikes, it would appear that the frame is too small for your wife. Is a longer seat post not possible?
Her left leg appears to have reasonable extension in the 6 o'clock position.
Old 01-31-24, 04:22 PM
choddo

If there was a lack of provision for female cyclists, it was all for their own protection from bicycle face
Old 01-31-24, 05:02 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Nope. The tandem is the proper size for her. In fact, I was rather surprised that tandems came in a stoker size that was actually her size. She rides a 43cm road bike with 700C or 26” wheels. This frame is the same size. She has about as much seatpost showing as I do and the captain frame is exactly my size.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-31-24, 05:06 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by grumpus
Weren't 6 inch cottered cranks pretty standard issue on ladies' bikes up to the 1960s, along with 590 mm rims?
Don’t know. I haven’t run across any if they were. There’s lots of short Ashtabula cranks but it’s not like those can be used on that many bikes.

Old 02-01-24, 01:24 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by t2p

on the subject of the Shimano bonded cranks - comparison of the bonded vs bonded / machined etc - great article on 6800 vs 5800 cranks - includes pictures and weights :

https://handsonbike.blogspot.com/201...o-105.html?m=1

Superb article, thanks. My only questions are:
- For the ultegra spider, outer shell bonded to inner part, are they both aluminum parts or is one steel? If both aluminum, I can't see the advantage of bonding two parts together, versus the one-piece 105 spider, with both appearing to be same finished shape, especially at such small mass difference.
- Both ultegra and 105 outer rings show significant "depth of section", thicker, versus traditional rings. I wonder if it's to allow them to be lighter (ultegra is hollow, 105 uses a composite ribbed construction), or they did it to make the rings laterally stiffer (versus traditional rings), for greater shift precision?

Last edited by Duragrouch; 02-01-24 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-01-24, 01:38 AM
choddo

The spider is steel iirc. Spindle is aluminium to save weight.

edit: nope, the other way round.

Last edited by choddo; 02-01-24 at 02:38 AM.
Old 02-01-24, 02:20 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by choddo
The spider is steel iirc. Spindle is aluminium to save weight.

edit: nope, fhe other way round.
Good edit. That's typical. I just can't figure out why they would bond two pieces of aluminum together, to get the same net shape and near identical mass as the 1-piece cast aluminum 105 spider and crankarm. UNLESS... it's 2-piece to make the arm hollow? But it's only 9 grams lighter. Maybe the ultegra came first to market with that style, then later with the 105, they decided to be a bit less clever, make it 1-piece?

Last edited by Duragrouch; 02-01-24 at 02:24 AM.
Old 02-01-24, 04:36 AM
Troul 

Good edit. That's typical. I just can't figure out why they would bond two pieces of aluminum together, to get the same net shape and near identical mass as the 1-piece cast aluminum 105 spider and crankarm. UNLESS... it's 2-piece to make the arm hollow? But it's only 9 grams lighter. Maybe the ultegra came first to market with that style, then later with the 105, they decided to be a bit less clever, make it 1-piece?
somewhere along the life cycle way, someone determined a penny could be pinched.
would like to see a CNC/waterjet cut aluminum assembly made using a thicker spindle shaft [ I.D. increase] that allows for two crank gears to be affixed to it using titanium hardware. would not want to see that price tag though!
Old 02-02-24, 12:59 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Is there any voodoo to replacing a crankset?
I have contacted Bikesmith and he is recommending a 150mm crankset. He has one available, but I have to admit, that big of a jump kind of scares me a little bit. I was thinking 160, or maybe down to 155mm. I'm probably going to go with it, especially since this is for the TT bike. If I like it, I'm probably going to go smaller on my road bikes, but may only go to 160 on them.
For the crank length:
The amount you shorten the crankarms, you will need to raise your saddle a similar distance. This will also change the rest of your fit.
at 5'4" 150-160mm should work for you. It's all about the inseam.
Closer to 150mm for road and closer to 160 for MTB
You'll likely notice a higher cadence and less hip sway and maybe less saddle sores
Gearing might have to be adjusted depending how picky you are.

I'm only slightly taller than you and went from 170 and 175 and shortened them to 150 and 155. Later adjusted to 160-165 when I upgraded

I was going to go on a rant about crankarm shortening but the engineering nerds covered most of it, and it looks like you don't need it.

Final note:
If anyone uses BMX cranksets use caution
The chainline is usually around 43-45mm and not really suitable with most ROAD and MTB frames.

You may have skipped the internal pressfit era completely by doing that. They're all switching to T47 threaded now. The bearings are still pressfit though, into cups which are threaded. https://wheelsmfg.com/blog/what-is-a...m-bracket.html (blog post is a bit old)

A lot to be said for keeping things maintainable. Someone expressed shock at my lack of electronic shifting and disc brakes on my 2019 bike at the weekend
I did not know that! (thanks!)
Old 02-02-24, 04:20 AM
Duragrouch

You may have skipped the internal pressfit era completely by doing that. They're all switching to T47 threaded now. The bearings are still pressfit though, into cups which are threaded. https://wheelsmfg.com/blog/what-is-a...m-bracket.html (blog post is a bit old)

A lot to be said for keeping things maintainable. Someone expressed shock at my lack of electronic shifting and disc brakes on my 2019 bike at the weekend
Thanks for the info. I like that direction; For a press-fit into an aluminum bottom bracket, what happens if the press loosens over time, or is damaged somehow? Pressing into steel cups which are threaded, to me, makes a whole lot more sense, is more robust and serviceable, and if for some wild reason the press diameter becomes loose, you just replace the cups.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.