Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel questions

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wheel questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-24, 10:37 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike jambalaya
1983 nishiki international 27" wheels hub spacing is 5 1/4 inches lol reason is the rear wheels came bent and in 27" that I don't want. Now what magic will see
How did you measure the hub spacing? 5/14" is like 133mm. Are you measuring the over length of the axle? You need to be measuring the width between the frame dropout:

It should be either 120mm or 126mm unless it was altered.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 02-20-24, 10:46 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
1983 nishiki international 27" wheels hub spacing is 5 1/4 inches lol reason is the rear wheels came bent and in 27" that I don't want. Now what magic will see
You seem to have a bit of experience with bikes so is there enough extra room in those horizontal dropouts to get a 700c wheel in and meet the brakes (you want a 5speed freewheel so clearly not a fixie) and not hit the seat tube?

Last edited by choddo; 02-20-24 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-20-24, 11:37 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
You seem to have a bit of experience with bikes so is there enough extra room in those horizontal dropouts to get a 700c wheel in and meet the brakes (you want a 5speed freewheel so clearly not a fixie) and not hit the seat tube?
I agree with this question. 27" is 630mm bead seat diameter, 700c is 622. So 8mm difference in diameter, 4mm in radius, so moving the axle forward 4mm will present the same clearance to seat tube (assuming same tire section height), however since the brakes are on the seatstays at perhaps 45 degree angle(?), 4mm/cos(45) = 5.6mm (estimate) you would need to move the axle forward to use 700c rims, *without moving the brake pads*; If you can move the brake pads down 4mm, you can have the 700c axle in the same place as the 27". If it's a track frame with horizontal dropouts, moving the axle forward may be possible, but again, perhaps not necessary. I don't know track frames... does it even have a rear brake mount?

Speaking of mounts, does it have a rear derailleur mount? If not, you can use a "claw mount", either separate, or integral with the derailleur.

Oh, you may have said track *wheels*, not track frame.

Outer Locknut Distance (OLD), the inside width between the frame rear dropouts is everything. But if a common standard for wheels with rear freewheels or cassettes, you have a great choice of wheelsets available in 700c, way more than 27".

Knowing answers to the above, will help. I agree with asking questions online, we just need enough info. My wild-@ss guess on your (Original Poster, OP's) 10-speed being a 5-speed freewheel, was useful. Just not current terminology, but no worries. Usually, a LBS could answer your (OP's) questions in 60 seconds if you brought wheels and frame to them, but I totally get it if you are way far and a full tank of fuel round trip away from them. Conversations online also help remedy emotional isolation if that far from everything. We're here for ya. Just don't confuse questions we need to ask to convey solutions, versus snide remarks. A lot of folks get jaded or emotionally reckless online, and this can be emotionally cruel to someone like yourself (OP) that just needs help. I'd ask you to private message me, except that a) you may not have enough posts to allow that, and b) I'm not an authority on track frames and their OLD spacing and dropouts.

Kind thoughts. Consider the above, ask further.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 02-20-24 at 11:47 PM.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 02-20-24, 11:43 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Bike jambalaya : I might suggest a clean re-set with an organized summary. People are talking past each other and not addressing or not understanding what you need.

1 Year and model of bike - not really necessary but might help
2 a photo of the current tires with the size displayed
3 a photo of the front and rear brakes to show if there's any additional vertical (up or down) adjustment that can be made
4 an accurate measurement of the rear dropout (not wheel axle) - inside to inside as illustrated above.
5 your weight
6 your expected riding pattern.
7 a photo of the current shifters and front and rear derailleurs
8 a photo of the current rear sprocket cluster

I think with this info, people will be able to easily give you pointers to actual wheels and sources.

And to make it really fresh and get past all of what's been going on here, post this question and the above info in the Classic and Vintage forum. The folks there are nice and helpful.

Good luck, I hope this thread settles down into constructive information for you.

Last edited by Camilo; 02-20-24 at 11:46 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 02-21-24, 01:01 AM
Bike jambalaya
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Maybe it is because you vaguely said so below?

If this is not the case why not just clearly state what size wheels you are looking for?

If your bike comes with 27" wheels, but you don't want to replace them with other 27" wheels, how will the brakes work? Or are you turning it into a track bike and thus don't need brakes? This is logic, not magic.

Vaguely literally means I did not say that.

I actually failed to clearly state that I was not looking for wheels

I want to say I failed at clearly stating that I had already found locally track wheels in a 36 and 32 spoke configuration
*that are of 700c size

I guess I should not have not thought to use "track wheels" as a nomenclature for a 622 or 700c wheel. My bad
Old 02-21-24, 01:05 AM
Bike jambalaya
Banned.

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
How did you measure the hub spacing? 5/14" is like 133mm. Are you measuring the over length of the axle? You need to be measuring the width between the frame dropout:

It should be either 120mm or 126mm unless it was altered.
Yes it was no more than a 1/4 inch smaller than the hub spacing of 5 1/4 inches

Last edited by Bike jambalaya; 02-21-24 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-21-24, 01:47 AM
Duragrouch

Progress.

"There are no bad students, only bad teachers." - Miyagi-san
Old 02-21-24, 05:08 AM
choddo

Probably 126mm then, that would be 5inches.
Old 02-21-24, 05:37 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
What everyone so far has failed to grasp is that track wheels usually do not have enough axle protrusion with the stock axle to accommodate a multi speed freewheel, even a five speed one.. if the hub is a cup and cone type (unlikely but possible) the axle could be swapped for a longer one and spacers added.
the more likely scenario is that it has cartridge bearings with a dedicated axle.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 02-21-24, 06:55 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
Honestly still confused about what’s actually being asked, but here’s perhaps a simple helpful answer:

NO, you do not want track wheels for your bike, unless you wish to convert it to single speed.
Old 02-21-24, 06:56 AM
bboy314

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
Vaguely literally means I did not say that.

I actually failed to clearly state that I was not looking for wheels

I want to say I failed at clearly stating that I had already found locally track wheels in a 36 and 32 spoke configuration
*that are of 700c size

I guess I should not have not thought to use "track wheels" as a nomenclature for a 622 or 700c wheel. My bad
Every one of these sentences confuses me.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 02-21-24, 07:07 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by bboy314
I think I get what he was saying
1. The term "vaguely" that was used, literally means it was not what he actually said (what he said was he acquired a bike with 27" wheels, not that he wanted to get some more 27" wheels)
2. He admits he didn't explicitly say he was looking for wheels, but that he wanted to know how / if he could get a track wheel to fit a 5speed freewheel on that frame.
3. He thinks he probably should have said the track wheels he'd found were not 27" but 700C and they had the number of spokes he thought could be beneficial
4. He thinks the focus on track wheels. because he'd found those, probably obscured his general interest in getting some 700C wheels and a wider initial question might have helped the conversation.
Old 02-21-24, 11:00 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts

"No more than a 1/4 inch smaller than". OK. so it can be anywhere between 127mm to 133mm. Anyways, track wheels have 120mm hub spacing. So that one is a no go. Assuming you measured everything correctly I am going to guess that somebody somewhere along the line had set the frame spacing to 130mm. Luckily there are 100's of 130mm spaced 700c wheels on your local craigslist and in your local bike co-op . These are extremely common on the used market.
Old 02-21-24, 01:02 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Likes For Barry2:
Old 02-21-24, 01:05 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
​​​​​​Lol people state not enough info is provided but never clarify what it is that they are missing. Lol I get a kick out of it.
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...cle-tires.html
Old 02-21-24, 02:05 PM
Bike jambalaya
Banned.

That thread is pinnacle. My new method of started threads here. Pleading everyone ask all that they desire to know before. Before I put any effort into forming an actual question.
Seems like starting threads with no knowledge of what the community needs or wants to know is ass backwards. So it's logical to me to ask everyone what they want to know before I ask anything.
Old 02-21-24, 04:14 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
That thread is pinnacle. My new method of started threads here. Pleading everyone ask all that they desire to know before. Before I put any effort into forming an actual question.
Seems like starting threads with no knowledge of what the community needs or wants to know is ass backwards. So it's logical to me to ask everyone what they want to know before I ask anything.
Why are you ignoring post #54?
Old 02-21-24, 06:24 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Because post #54 is too well-organized and does not fit within OP's stream-of-consciousness literary framework.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 02-21-24, 07:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Let's say I call BS

What information in fact did I not provide you. That can't do without. Must be enough to list a few or important enough to actually handicap you.

Please enlighten me on what information you did not have.
So that I can improve.

I don't live in the sticks I just hope that those words will act as a repellant for those who habitually suggest a lbs visit. *coughs like you
Rear spacing? QR or nutted? Wheel size? Actual freewheel or cassette? Actual number of cogs on whatever is actually back there...basically what wheel you actually needed.

Camilo had some excellent questions as well you failed to answer.

So you are lying about the location of your bike shop? Why the need to lie? You are anonymous internet poster no need to lie like that. Just tell the truth. The reason we suggested you go to your local bicycle shop again is because you need help and they can help you. You are a bit combative online but being able to bring in the bike and show it to someone live will allow you the ability for someone to say "this is the wheel you need" from looking at your bike or "or here are some wheels that would work". It would make your life easier and prevent you from avoiding useful information even more and having to fight with everyone because they gave you good advice.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-21-24, 07:27 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
The best jambalayas are the one where you just throw in what you got on hand, so....
If I understood correctly (no guarantee of that) I think I saw where "track wheels" meant 700c road wheels, but I'm punchy from all the nonsense to be sure...
Old 02-21-24, 07:59 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Unfortunately I think this is becoming just another internet exercise. Maybe a bit of chatbot with some tweaking.

If you look at the OP’s other threads, they all have a certain vagueness and they all lack any substance.

The OP has stated elsewhere, that he has been building bikes for years and is getting back to road bikes. No one who has that experience is not aware of what information is needed.

Just another typical winter on BF.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 02-21-24, 08:04 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by bboy314
(After listening to a long monologue in cockney rhyming slang): "There's one thing I don't understand. The thing I don't understand is every MFing word you just said." - DEA agent, The Limey (1999)
Old 02-22-24, 08:11 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
You're going about it ass-backwards. But you know that. You've put yourself on the fast-track to being summarily ignored on any future questions.
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-22-24, 08:12 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
The OP has stated elsewhere, that he has been building bikes for years and is getting back to road bikes.
Probably another lie.
Old 02-23-24, 12:00 AM
Bike jambalaya
Banned.

Originally Posted by Camilo
What is post #54

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.