Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Every Century has a Story.............

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-12, 11:37 AM
chefisaac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

….. and ours does too!

When I was younger, I rode a lot and the furthest I rode in one day was the first day of the Seattle to Portland Bike Ride (STP they call it). Sue, my riding partner, and I covered 150 miles that day. Of course, that was 13 or so years ago. I was much younger and fitter for sure. Now I can say that I have finished another century since I started riding July of last year and I earned every mile of it.

It started when Chris told me about the Knotts Island Century in Virginia Beach, Virginia. At that time, it sounded interesting but that was over two months ago and my longest ride to date at that time was 61 miles or so and that was at the end of 2011. So to be frank, I knew that it was just a passing dream. But strange things happened over that two month period. I changed riding groups and this riding group was focused on getting better and better so, well, I was in for the ride (no pun intended).

It started out about 5 weeks ago with a metric century on a windy day. It was Chris, Nadja and I and it was a rough one, needing to stop every 10-15 miles but Chris was patient with me and told me what I needed to work on. Then the next weekend, we did another metric. Tweaking nutrition, hydration, speed, heart rate and pacing, it was getting a little easier. But by the third and fourth metric century, I was feeling good. And two weeks ago, we did an 83 mile ride which was the final test ride and before I knew it, I was ready for the 100 mile ride. I went online, registered and, well, I guess I was committed to go!

So it was going to be Chris, Cat, Will, Troy and myself. Since Troy lived in Virginia Beach we were going to crash at his house (and it was a real nice place!) for two nights. Chris and Cat drive from his house, Will met me at my place and we drive. We decided to meet in Bear Delaware on Friday morning for a little Primo Sub action but I guess we were supposed to meet up in Dover. He he he …. So we quickly ditched that plan and headed to Troy’s place which was 5 plus hours away. It was a nice easy and beautiful drive. Never being in Virginia before, I soaked up all the scenery and the weather was outstanding, sunny, warm, and pleasant.

As Will and I were driving, we noticed two people on touring bikes, loaded down with gear on the other side of the road. Thinking they were on a tour and having wishful thinking that it was a TransAm tour, we turned around, passed them and stopped on the shoulder. They caught up to us and we talked for a short time. We offered them food but they just ate. We asked them where they were coming from and they said they were from California and indeed it was a TransAm trip. Ben and Delaney were headed to Florida and then back to California. It was cool to see them. They do have a blog so check them out: https://rubytwobirds.com/category/tourblog/page/6/ .

We met up with Chris and Cat, headed to a couple local bike shops where Chris knew all the people (he used to live there). We all had to pick up a few things be it food or equipment. I wanted to pick up a new tire but could not find that one I needed. No problem really. Cool to see two different bike shops. After that, we headed to Troy’s. We unloaded everything and Chris started to look over everyone’s bikes and made tweaks. The only thing I needed done was the cadence sensor on and lube the chain. Everything looked good on my end. Chris changed out cassettes on Wills bike and put a new chain on Troy’s bike.

Then Troy and Chris built a new bike for Troy while I made dinner. Pasta with tomato sauce and dry rubbed roasted chicken was the menu and it was a great pre ride meal.

For me, it was time for bed. Watched a little TV on Troy’s 46 inch screen and fell asleep. We were all ready for the ride!

4 AM came too quick. We all slowly woke up, got packed and ready, drank coffee (for me it was a triple hot chocolate…. YUMMMMMMY!). Loaded up and headed to WAWA for a quick breakfast. I must admit, they have good sandwiches. We got to the start location around 6 AM, still too early to register but we topped the tires off with air, packed jerseys and got ready. We rolled out at 7 AM sharp.

We were averaging around 18-19 mph for the first 25 miles which I must admit, it was hard for me to keep up that pace. I didn’t know if my body was just not awake or the lack of sleep this last week (due to work) was catching up to me. We made it to the ferry dock which was also the first rest stop for the 100 mile riders, We loaded up, ate some food, bathroom stops, and off we went onto the ferry. A half hour or so later, we were ready to tackle the next 75 miles.

Everything was going great until after the fourth rest stop, around mile 68ish. We were headed down a busy highway and Chris was leading, I was behind him and we both heard a loud pop. Cat yelled “mechanical” and we knew something was up. Troy blew a tire. We tried to use a boot but it was splitting up more. A SAG van pulled up and after a while, we found someone to bring us another tire. We had to make the quick jaunt to the gas station and they met us there. It took about an hour or so for everything to get brought to us and fixed and we were off. Making up some time, we were picking up the average and I was behind Chris while he was pulling and around mile 75, we heard a high pitch break and then the wobbling started to happen on Chris’s back tire. A spoke was broke. Most of the time, if a spoke is broken and there is enough spokes on the rim, you can continue to ride but Chris has rims that have few spokes so one broken spoke makes a big difference.

Chris tired to fix it on the road but it wasn’t happening. He told us to continue riding and he got a ride with the SAG van to his truck.

We continued to ride and the wind was picking up. Will and I took turns pulling and before we knew it, Chris was up ahead with his truck rooting us on. He continued to do that for the last 25 miles.

We made it….. back to the start at 101 miles. It was an amazing feeling to have done this ride with these great people and finish it. I was feeling pretty good but knew that the “awake” feeling was going to be short lived. Chris fixed his bike while Will and I grabbed some pasta from inside to church where we started. Will and Cat were going to be the SAG for Chris like Chris did for us and he was off to finish his last 25 miles. Troy and I went back to his house, I showered and Troy went shopping for the big after ride BBQ. Lets just say Troy did a great job cooking that night!

All in all, a wonderful experience to finish the century. I slept well last night and as I type, I still am tired and needing some quality kid like nap time and some milk!

If you want to see pictures, go here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1044663...MnqkYr9uOPI7wE

To learn more about the Knotts Island Century. Go here: https://www.tbarides.org/

And for the folks who want to see (or might not believe us) here is the Garmin Info: https:// https://connect.garmin.com/activity/177777470
Old 05-13-12, 11:53 AM
REDBEARD_WS

Bikes: 2012 Giant Sedona ST, 2014 Specialized Hardrock 29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's so awesome. I hope that a year from now i'l be ready to do a half century unless somehow I get in much better shape and can try a century. Reading this is a huge inspiration, thanks for sharing
Old 05-13-12, 12:06 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm confused.

How do you get a time less than moving time? Did you turn off the timer at some point while moving?

Time: 6:18:50
Moving Time: 6:44:58
Elapsed Time: 9:16:34

Average speed is faster than average moving speed?

Avg Speed: 16.0 mph
Avg Moving Speed: 15.6 mph
Old 05-13-12, 12:11 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
I'm confused.

How do you get a time less than moving time? Did you turn off the timer at some point while moving?

Time: 6:18:50
Moving Time: 6:44:58
Elapsed Time: 9:16:34

Average speed is faster than average moving speed?

Avg Speed: 16.0 mph
Avg Moving Speed: 15.6 mph

We had the ferry ride and I forgot to turn off the darn garmin.
Old 05-13-12, 12:12 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
We had the ferry ride and I forgot to turn off the darn garmin.
Ah! I thought something was WHACK!

100 miles, nice job!
Old 05-13-12, 12:13 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was waiting for you to say something about that and also about that there were no hills. lol. I am working on it.........
Old 05-13-12, 12:16 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I was waiting for you to say something about that and also about that there were no hills. lol. I am working on it.........
Nah! Flat 6:18/6:44 pace for 100 is a good effort!
Old 05-13-12, 02:48 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Nice report! Congratulations on coming so far in less than a year. And you are looking great in those pictures!
Old 05-13-12, 03:46 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Gold. Now I need to work on climbing. I need to "embrace the suck" when it comes to climbing. lol

I feel OK today. A bit tired but not really sore at all.
Old 05-13-12, 03:53 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Congrats my friend. Wish I would have been then for it but I was there for you and Will when you made the 83 mile deal.
I have to admit, after hearing the stories of what Kat can get into and only reading the thread title before opening it up I was waiting for a 'she hit everything including(!) the Ferry' deal.
Hope you'ns can join Chris and me for the French Iron deal.
Old 05-13-12, 04:02 PM
Big Pete 1982

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD-10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice job! That's a pretty good pace you rode too!
Old 05-13-12, 04:26 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ibo: I forgot to add to the story.... Will and I left really early this morning because it is a 5 1/2 hour drive home and on the way home Chris texted Will and said that Cat had a flat tire this morning. Must have been a slow leaker.

Not sure on the French Iron ride. It is a long way to go with a lot of climbing. I just today bought a 11/36 cassette and a new delrailure so we will see. Either going to ride at Chris's place next weekend or Will was mentioning a 50 mile hilly ride that was the old course for the French Iron ride. I think it might be best to do Chris's ride next weekend and then the 50 mile hill ride the next weekend after that. We will see.

I was tired and sore from the 50 we did from Oley the other weekend and could not climb any more with the cassette I had. So we will see.
Old 05-13-12, 04:26 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big Pete 1982
Nice job! That's a pretty good pace you rode too!
It was all flat. Nothing like your course.
Old 05-13-12, 04:38 PM
RedC

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Color me impressed! 16mph for 101 miles is pretty strong for a big guy. I've done several centuries but none that fast yet. Looking at your garmin info I suspect you are a good bit younger than I am.
Old 05-13-12, 05:43 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Everyone rode so strong. It was great!
Old 05-13-12, 06:22 PM
paisan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a great ride. We went into it with a plan and everyone did great work sticking to it. To tell my part of the story after getting moving again from Troy's destroyed tire, my wheel decided it had one too many spokes. It was quickly apparent that my ride was done and I told the group to move on and finish the goal they had all worked so hard for over the last 6 weeks. There were a few "we're not leaving you" but they were all dismissed, the guys(and gal) had done a lot of work to prepare and I wasn't going to ruin their hard work. Right after they set off I flagged down a SAG to the start and jumped in my truck to find the group and cheer them on. Once they finished I set about getting my bike going on while they all ate. I took troy's wheel, swapped tires(he still had the loaner from his blowout) and cassettes. Adjusted my brakes and derailler and was ready to roll around the same time everyone got done eating. The plan was for Isaac and Troy to haed to Troys to get ready for the cookout and Will and Cat to follow me in case of an emergency. The ride started out smooth but quickly turned into a time trial as I saw Will drive by with my phone and wallet on the top of my bed cover. 5 miles and a 22mph avg later I caught them at a 7-11 and recovered my stuff. I was now primed to give it what little I had left and rode to Troy's in time trial mode. The ride turned out to be 28 miles and I did it in a little 1:30 for an average of 18.88. I finsihed my day with 106 total. It was a great trip with great people and I'm sitting here on Cats porch as I type this drinking beer and discussing our next possible adventure.
Old 05-13-12, 06:28 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I didnt know about the wallet and phone. That makes the story even better! I forgot to add that Will called me not knowing where the keys to the truck were. What an adventure!
Old 05-13-12, 06:29 PM
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Much props guys, makes me still wish I lived in Richmond, I would have tried to join you.
Old 05-13-12, 06:36 PM
avance

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kudos to all!!!
Old 05-13-12, 06:42 PM
wfournier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didnt know about the wallet and phone. That makes the story even better! I forgot to add that Will called me not knowing where the keys to the truck were. What an adventure!
Yeah that was fun lol, Chris takes off and all of a sudden we're like "um where are they keys?" turns out they were in the tailgate lol.

Here's my data as well, I think either Strava or the program I used to convert my file weren't sure how to handle that time on the ferry so it added the time/distance and shows the ride being longer and average speed lower. https://app.strava.com/rides/8450174
Old 05-13-12, 07:21 PM
Big Pete 1982

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD-10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was all flat. Nothing like your course.
Bah, don't sell yourself short. 100 miles is tough no matter what the terrain and you rode a good pace.
Old 05-13-12, 07:23 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Ibo: I forgot to add to the story.... Will and I left really early this morning because it is a 5 1/2 hour drive home and on the way home Chris texted Will and said that Cat had a flat tire this morning. Must have been a slow leaker.

Not sure on the French Iron ride. It is a long way to go with a lot of climbing. I just today bought a 11/36 cassette and a new delrailure so we will see. Either going to ride at Chris's place next weekend or Will was mentioning a 50 mile hilly ride that was the old course for the French Iron ride. I think it might be best to do Chris's ride next weekend and then the 50 mile hill ride the next weekend after that. We will see.

I was tired and sore from the 50 we did from Oley the other weekend and could not climb any more with the cassette I had. So we will see.
I have a Century on the 19th. I can do a 50 on the 26th if ya'll want
Old 05-13-12, 08:06 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Ride start for the French Creek Iron Tour is, I believe, Kimberton Fairgrounds. It's 10 to 15 minutes from where we met on the Schuylkill River Trail last year.

Old 05-13-12, 08:08 PM
lenny866

Location: Foothills of the beautiful Adirondack Mountains, NY
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Great Story....thanks for sharing!
Old 05-13-12, 09:13 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
When you have a goal to train for, it tends to make one ride more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.