Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Grumpy on a MUP

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Grumpy on a MUP

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-12, 05:23 PM
VertigoFlyer

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 5.2, 2010 Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grumpy on a MUP

Hey folks,

The wife and I did a 22 mile ride up a local railroad grade MUP named the Iron Horse Trail outside Seattle WA yesterday. We ride this route up to the tunnel on a regular basis. It's typically a low usage route. We rarely see more than 10 other people on a 20 plus mile ride.

Yesterday was the exception. It was busy and initially we didn't mind. We all have to share the resource right? But the trouble started when several groups of 5-10 riders came down the grade. They were happily riding side by side as they glided down the grade. I get it I really do! My wife and I do the same! But we meet opposing traffic we immediately go back to single file, say howdy and be on our way. Normal trail sharing etiquette right?

Well these three groups didn't want to do that! The first group were riding three abreast consuming the whole width of the trail. As we approached and saw that they made NO effort to allow us safe room to pass we started yelling/asking them to make way. I had a fella coming right at me leaving me with NO WHERE TO GO!! It was only at the last possible moment that he hit the brakes and moved over. Utterly clueless....

The next two groups did a similar clueless approach. And we did our same yelling/asking for room to pass as we cranked our way up the grade. We weren't tearing our way up either. Max speed on our part going uphill was maybe 8 MPH!!

I like that the trail is getting more usage. That's what it's there for. Trust me I also enjoy the days when we have it all to ourselves. But are people really that absent basic sharing etiquette??

I can understand this happening once on a day's ride but three times in 15 minutes had me rather frosted...

Where's the common courtesy in people? Am I expecting too much?

One thing I really love about cycling is the bike culture. People on bikes typically like other people on bikes. We've met some wonderful riders in the years we've been riding. I always work to share and socialize within the cycling community. Anytime I see someone bent over their bike I ask if they need help. I appreciate it when I'm in that "position". I love talking to other cyclists out on the road. I really do care. I understand the HTFU jock whizzing by without a howdy. But I'm all over sharing the road and living the community.

So when this sense of community is suddenly absent it really shocks me.

Ok that's my gripe for the day.
Old 09-09-12, 05:48 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
And you will likely be bombarded by the usual "I hate MUPS" posts that follow every thread started about MUPS.

Suffice to say that I did 25 miles on MUPS yesterday, every one was extremely nice and rode with proper etiquette. The pedestrians almost universally said "Thank you" when I rang my bell, etc., etc.

IMHO you just had a bad day. It happens while driving cars, while jogging and at restaurants. Some folks just aren't very nice.

Standby for the barrage.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-09-12 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-09-12, 05:56 PM
choclabman

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately this mentality is becoming more prevalent in our society today. I work in a hospital and we are constantly having to ask visitors to move over to the side when we are wheeling patients down the hallways on beds and stretchers. I've actually seen people on the MUPs here block the path while they are talking to someone they know instead of moving to one side so other people can pass. I feel like saying something to them but they would just cuss you out.
Old 09-09-12, 06:01 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I expect that you would have experienced the same level of dis-respect for others from those folks no matter where your paths crossed. This time it just happened to be on the MUP.

A video clip along with a formal complaint to the county or who ever is responsible for public safety on that MUP might be enough to instigate patrols on heavy use days. Beyond that , I guess we just have to endure as best as we can.
Old 09-09-12, 06:03 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I see it constantly, not just cyclists but runners, walkers, you name it. I honestly believe that they just don't realize what they're doing. It simply doesn't occur to them that they're being rude, selfish or dangerous.

Sometimes, a cyclist will lose his cool and start shouting at people, lecturing, giving belligerent instructions on passing, ringing bells, anything that crosses his mind that other people are doing wrong in his opinion. It would be a nightmare to be that guy, even once. I try to just let it all slide - try, nobody's perfect all the time but I try not to let it get to me.
Old 09-09-12, 06:16 PM
Banded Krait

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately I've experienced the same thing all too often on the MUP I ride most often. I try not to let it ruin my enjoyment of a cycling outing. I have just learned to live with the realization that there are a lot of inconsiderate people in our society. It does force one to always keep one's guard up, though.
Old 09-09-12, 06:21 PM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Rule of MUP: Don't hit anyone. Don't block anyone. Simple, yet not simple.
Old 09-09-12, 06:23 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Obviously you came across riders of the "me" generation and your needs don't count. Bad day on the trails.
Old 09-09-12, 06:28 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a cyclist for more than 40 years, from when people thought I was lying when I said I rode eight miles to work to now, when I might pass 50 riders on my weekend 50-miler to breakfast, I can say with absolute assurance that only downhill skiing challenges road cycling for number of asshats per capita.
Old 09-09-12, 08:10 PM
Mort Canard

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had one moment of drama tonight when I approached a gathering on the local MUP and a young girl (8-10yr. old) decided she wanted to be on the other side of the path right as I was nearing her. I had to jump on the binders hard and thankfully she made it across before I got to her. I had announced my presence about 40 yards out and reduced speed but she and an adult were just oblivious to my approach.

I have also had close encounters with folks on the MUP playing with their cellphones while walking and not responding when I call out my presence.
Old 09-09-12, 08:25 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Yep, thats the life on MUPs, but at least there are no cars. the other day I had a heck of a time getting around a slow moving cylist in the middle of the path, riding no-handed and eating a plate of breakfast.
Old 09-09-12, 08:32 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
The only problem I had today on the MUP was, "Goat Head Thorns", they were a menace, the other users were just fine!

Old 09-09-12, 08:43 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by VertigoFlyer
The wife and I did a 22 mile ride up a local railroad grade MUP named the Iron Horse Trail outside Seattle WA yesterday...
Sounds like your wife and you had a bad day.

Does Iron Horse Trail have a strip painted down the middle, like the MUPs around here? Might help explain certain behavior.

Last edited by volosong; 09-09-12 at 11:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-09-12, 08:52 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
As a cyclist for more than 40 years, from when people thought I was lying when I said I rode eight miles to work to now, when I might pass 50 riders on my weekend 50-miler to breakfast, I can say with absolute assurance that only downhill skiing challenges road cycling for number of asshats per capita.
Hear hear! On our shop group ride i stayed back to help a rider with a flat. Got back and all the hotshots were standing around blocking the door to the shop with their bikes. The paying customers couldn't get in.
Old 09-09-12, 09:13 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Standby for the barrage.
I rode a MUP today and these fat old ladies jumped me, beat me up, and stole my bike. No one would help me. Then I had to walk home because these other MUP riders stole my car. Before any of this happened I slid in dog poop. I flatted on goatheads. I got bad diarrhea and soiled my britches.

It was a pretty good ride otherwise.

Old 09-09-12, 09:19 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I rode a MUP today and these fat old ladies jumped me, beat me up, and stole my bike. No one would help me. Then I had to walk home because these other MUP riders stole my car. Before any of this happened I slid in dog poop. I flatted on goatheads. I got bad diarrhea and soiled my britches.

MUP riders need a positive attitude like DS.

Old 09-09-12, 09:24 PM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've noticed this same "its-all-about-me" attitude. It can occur anywhere, like on the sidewalk, in the grocery isle at the supermarket. Essentially you're "invisible" unless you're a part of their little "scene". Sometimes what you can do is, stop dead and just watch how long before you become "visible". Sometimes I turn to someone close behind me in the supermarket and ask; "are you going to ram my legs with your trolley?" Usually that snaps them out of their dream and when they see you they say "oh no, I'm sorry, I won't ram you" and then we part amicably.

The really interesting thing to ponder is:- [1] How do people get like this?, [2] am I, or was I, ever like this? I would reason that if you continually pamper someone and yield to their desires, especially during formative years, the part of the brain that deals with surroundings will die or become atrophied. This is quite a risky problem, e.g. you might wander across a level crossing and get mowed down. So anyone raising children may be doing them a disservice if they yield too much. I've noticed that fat people and people in suits seem often to have this - let's call it "the me oblivion". This generalization about fatties and suits may be less discernible in the US because physical display is less of a guide as to one's capability to assert one's self; due to the fact it is legal to have a concealed form of "assertive capability", hehe ;-).
Old 09-09-12, 09:29 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
On one of my urban loops, I use a portion of a local MUP to get across (actually under) a busy, major north-south thoroughfare. The good news is that as the temperature starts dropping during fall and winter, so does the number of inexperienced, uncaring, ignorant, stupid etc. people on the MUP. The hard core runners and cyclists are about the only ones left during fall and winter, and usually, they behave better than the casual users.
Old 09-09-12, 09:48 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by 009jim
I've noticed this same "its-all-about-me" attitude. It can occur anywhere, like on the sidewalk, in the grocery isle at the supermarket. Essentially you're "invisible" unless you're a part of their little "scene". Sometimes what you can do is, stop dead and just watch how long before you become "visible". Sometimes I turn to someone close behind me in the supermarket and ask; "are you going to ram my legs with your trolley?" Usually that snaps them out of their dream and when they see you they say "oh no, I'm sorry, I won't ram you" and then we part amicably.
You said it perfectly. Immediately reminded me of how I feel when I go looking for some lunch at Whole Foods.
Old 09-09-12, 09:48 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
A number of years ago, roller blading with my youngest daughter, holding hands, along the Hudson River Greenway in Manhattan, I stiff armed a jogger headed straight towards us. We were on the far, right hand side of the path. I'm sure he remembers it too.
Old 09-09-12, 10:46 PM
ILClyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't ever let things like this bother you. Same thing when people cut you off on the highway. They're not upset about what they did, why let it get to you? They did something wrong, you being the one upset doesn't make much sense.

I always feel sorry for people like this. No, really. I look at this way: "I'll wake up tomorrow and not have to deal with you. You'll wake up and still be an idiot!"
Old 09-09-12, 10:57 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

...I hate it when that happens.
Old 09-09-12, 11:17 PM
VertigoFlyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
Sounds like your wife and you had a bad day.

Does Iron Horse Trail have a strip painted down the middle, like the MUPs around here? Might help explain certain behavior.
The Iron Horse is a dirt path. A former railroad right of way. A fun ride for a cardio workout on our mtn bikes. So no stripes on the gravel/dirt....
Old 09-09-12, 11:19 PM
VertigoFlyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now that made me laugh!!
Old 09-09-12, 11:29 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by VertigoFlyer
The Iron Horse is a dirt path. A former railroad right of way. A fun ride for a cardio workout on our mtn bikes. So no stripes on the gravel/dirt....
Ah. Just probably ignorance of MUP etiquette.

Solution for next time ... a small air horn. Like we use on sailboats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.