Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

disc brake help

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

disc brake help

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-13, 07:56 AM
DiscTruckerMF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
disc brake help

I have a surly disc trucker that I originally built up with drop bars therefore I bought avid BB7 Road brakes. The drop bars got stolen from my bike but I had a set of flat bar roadbike levers that have the little gadget inside them to let the brake lever be setup as a V brake or for canti's so i popped those on and everything was all good. I did 1 loaded tour with this bike halfway across the country and used a deore MTB crank with 24/32/42 rings and an 8 speed 11-28 rear. It pretty much did the job for me quite well with only the biggest mountain climbs leaving me wishing for a 32 cog though that would have had me inching up the hills at about 2.8mph! lol The bike is now relegated to commuter duty here in NYC and I'm actually going to be moving to florida where I probably won't be doing much touring on it but will still be using it to do some commuting and small trips to the grocery store. I have a 52/42/30 road crank I think I want to put on and I have some extra 10spd MTB parts so I think I'm going to make the jump to 10 speed and go with an 11/36 in the rear. I figure that will still give me a 30/36 combo which is pretty similar to my 24/28.

Are there any flat bar brake levers that will work with these BB7 road calipers? What exactly will happen if I make this switch? Will I have to pull the lever a lot more to get the brakes to work or a lot less? If need be, I can probably keep the front deraileur mated to the brake/shifter that is there now so My front brake (the important one) will still function fine. IF it's a matter of needing to pull the lever almost all the way to the bars, I'm not that worried about it, I Think that the bb7 pad adjustment settings will allow me to work that out. But if a small amount of pull is going to lock my brakes up, I'm wondering if this will be big trouble?
Old 10-05-13, 09:02 AM
pasopia

Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, you just need to get flat bar levers that are meant to be used with cantilever brakes, instead of V or linear pull brakes.

These would work, but are not the only option:

https://harriscyclery.net/product/shi...levers-897.htm
Old 10-05-13, 11:02 AM
DiscTruckerMF

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pasopia
Sure, you just need to get flat bar levers that are meant to be used with cantilever brakes, instead of V or linear pull brakes.

These would work, but are not the only option:

https://harriscyclery.net/product/shi...levers-897.htm
Thanks! Now do you know what will happen if i use the avid speed dial levers I have? I was thinking about making this swap today while I have time and then order these levers
Old 10-05-13, 11:10 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Dial them inward , so the cable anchor is closer to the pivot, and the cable pull is reduced a bit..