Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Leaked Photo of 2020 Trek Domane?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Leaked Photo of 2020 Trek Domane?

Old 08-02-19, 10:39 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I mean, no one is going to mistake it for a climber, but keep in mind that the stock wheels and tires are heavy. There's a lot of weight to be saved there even if you don't touch anything else.
I have a 2019 Domane SL5 disc. Do you (or does anyone) have information on how heavy the stock wheels and tires are? I failed in my attempts to find out.
Old 08-02-19, 10:59 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I mean, no one is going to mistake it for a climber, but keep in mind that the stock wheels and tires are heavy. There's a lot of weight to be saved there even if you don't touch anything else.
I wasn’t expecting it to be sub-18 lbs. I just wasn’t expecting it to be over 21 lbs.
Old 08-02-19, 11:12 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
I wasn’t expecting it to be sub-18 lbs. I just wasn’t expecting it to be over 21 lbs.
low end Domane models are heavy, but the good stuff is fairly lightweight

With Dura-Ace Di2 it's 17.1 pounds.
Old 08-03-19, 01:07 AM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I wouldn't be confident with that stem long term. If if fails, you're going down. I know adjustable stems are reliable, but they're not meant to have any give. Will the mechanism wear out over time, and will you know if it does? I like my teeth too much for that.

It could be perfectly reliable, I'm not trying to disparage it. I'm explaining why a person might go for a different option even when this exists.
It's not an "adjustable" stem. Didn't two decades of work in Oakley factory QC teach you anything?
Old 08-03-19, 06:16 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
I have a 2019 Domane SL5 disc. Do you (or does anyone) have information on how heavy the stock wheels and tires are? I failed in my attempts to find out.
I have the my stock wheels sitting around in the basement, but no accurate way of weighing them. They're goddamned heavy, though it's worth noting that my SL5 came with 35mm micro-knobbies (Schwalbe G-Ones) standard, not the usual 32mm slicks.

Sure. I'm just saying to keep in mind that it's not sporting wheels, tires or tubes that'll see many/any miles for a lot of people, so there's probably 2 quick pounds to be lost.
Old 08-03-19, 06:29 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
The Bontrager Affinity Elite Road Disc wheelset weighs 1680g
Old 08-03-19, 06:45 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
So I saw my first 2020 Domane. SL 5. I wasn’t prepared for how chunky the down tube was. .
This is what struck me, seeing some of these at the local Trek store. Just why are the downtubes so huge now? They're not building them this way solely for storage are they?
Old 08-03-19, 07:22 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
This is what struck me, seeing some of these at the local Trek store. Just why are the downtubes so huge now? They're not building them this way solely for storage are they?
Yeah I too was surprised how chunky they are. Especially being touted as “more aero” than previous models. Again I’ll wait until I see the SLR models. But my initial urge to buy the frame has cooled considerably based on the SL 5. Whic is probably a good thing.
Old 08-03-19, 10:28 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
This is what struck me, seeing some of these at the local Trek store. Just why are the downtubes so huge now?
Bottles? Most bikes with aero considerations take bottles in to account. But this is just a WAG.
Old 08-03-19, 06:22 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462
It's in Spanish but pretty detailed...

https://www.matosvelo.fr/index.php?p...-et-polyvalent
You're not far off geographically, but it's actually from across the Pirineos, in France. For le record
Old 08-05-19, 12:13 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
The Bontrager Affinity Elite Road Disc wheelset weighs 1680g
The SL5 has Bontrager Affinity wheels without the "Elite" designation. I haven't found good info on the weight of these wheels.

Looking at the rest of the SL5 spec, it seems like it can only be wheels, tires, and cockpit, for the most part. 105 R7000 components surely don't weigh that much more than R8000 Ultegra, and the SL frame is only 100 grams heavier than the SLR frame, I believe.
Old 08-05-19, 12:18 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
So I saw my first 2020 Domane. SL 5. I wasn’t prepared for how chunky the down tube was.
I also got to test ride an SL5 this past week, and it did seem like there is just a lot more carbon on this new frame compared to the outgoing model (of which there were still many in the store). Some will like it, some will dislike it, I suppose.

I did think the ride was very nice, though I have a steel road bike that is 21.5 pounds, and the weight felt about the same to cart around. But that bike has 25 mm tires and some seriously lightweight stuff.
Old 08-05-19, 12:22 PM
CarloM

Yeah I think the SL5 made me realize I think I value weight and aero more than comfort (although I reserve the right to change my mind once they get an SLR version available to ride).

One of the guys at the LBS and I were talking and when I talked about what I wanted in my next bike (I have a 2018 SuperSix Evo Di2 right now) was a combo of lightweight and aero, he was recommended I look at Pinarello. I only know of their stellar reputation and high prices, so my wallet cried. Luckily I'm about 12-18 months away from my next purchase.
Old 08-08-19, 12:39 PM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
I weighed my stock wheels after upgrading. I don't remember the exact weight, but I know the wheelset was over 2000g
Old 08-08-19, 02:09 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by RocThrower
I weighed my stock wheels after upgrading. I don't remember the exact weight...
Old 08-08-19, 04:16 PM
WhyFi

I weighed my stock wheels after upgrading. I don't remember the exact weight, but I know the wheelset was over 2000g
Sounds about right - they're pigs.
Old 08-08-19, 04:40 PM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Yeah I think the SL5 made me realize I think I value weight and aero more than comfort (although I reserve the right to change my mind once they get an SLR version available to ride).

One of the guys at the LBS and I were talking and when I talked about what I wanted in my next bike (I have a 2018 SuperSix Evo Di2 right now) was a combo of lightweight and aero, he was recommended I look at Pinarello. I only know of their stellar reputation and high prices, so my wallet cried. Luckily I'm about 12-18 months away from my next purchase.
First time I've heard Pinarello's accused of being lightweight.
Old 08-08-19, 05:06 PM
CarloM

Originally Posted by blazin
First time I've heard Pinarello's accused of being lightweight.
To be fair, I don't think he was saying they were lightweight like a climbing bike, just that they had a nice combo of weight and aero.

Again, I have no experience with them (other than seeing their price tags) so whenever I feel the need for a new ride, I'll definitely test them out and make my own judgment.
Old 08-08-19, 05:42 PM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Thanks.

Makes sense considering the Elites are 1850g and one would assume the stock wheels are heavier.
Old 08-08-19, 06:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
It's not an "adjustable" stem. Didn't two decades of work in Oakley factory QC teach you anything?
I know it's not an adjustable stem, that's obvious from the photo. This is crazy but sometimes people mention related things when they talk about something.
Old 08-25-19, 06:35 AM
zaxmalloy

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy (I call her Big Orange), FELT Carbon F FRD Custom Road Bike, Salsa Vaya, Giant Escape

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skipm
Thanx! To your question, and I have no first hand knowledge on this other than watching the YouTube videos the guys from GCN provide, but there doesn't seem to be much difference between the Shimano 11-speed mechanical groupsets now other than weight. Since my last two bikes were SRAM equiped, (Apex & Rival) I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Now I did briefly toy with the idea of ordering the SL 7 eTap Domane after taking a quick spin on an SL 7 Emonda eTap equiped bike but that would have set me back another 3 grand, plus I could get it in any color I wanted as long as it was black. It's amazing the thought process we go through to rationalize a new bike.

No new pictures unfortunately since a freaking thunderstorm arrived at my house the same time I did last night.

-Skip
Skip any change for an update?

Saw this bike yesterday in person yesterday and did a test ride over asphalt, much of it broken, and was favorably impressed. Handled the bumps better than my current carbon road bike (which is to small) but was also slower...which kind of surprised me. Then again, the test ride was in jeans and tennis shoes using flats.

Of course, this was stock everything but wondering if with time you have additional insights and pictures to share as intended? Was the tire upgrade worth it? How does that paint job hold out in gravel?
Old 08-26-19, 09:39 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
It’s a nice bike but I think it is ugly and not worth the price. For $2k on closeout maybe
Old 08-26-19, 10:07 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by MyTi
It’s a nice bike but I think it is ugly and not worth the price. For $2k on closeout maybe
Your opinion isn't worth the price.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-05-19, 01:45 PM
Rogus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
This question may not seem important to most, but I always ride with a top tube bag for easy access to nutrition and my phone. It appears in the posted photos that the cabling will not work with a top tube bag. If not, then the bike is disappointingly not going to work for me. Haven't seen one in person yet and am hoping for a response from a current owner or someone who has checked out the bike for top tube bag use.

If it doesn't allow for top tube bag, it seems like a stupid decision for Trek. After all, it's an "endurance" bike and I carry a lot on my long self supported rides. Thanks in advance for any comments.
Old 09-05-19, 03:30 PM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Why wouldn't it work with a Top Tube bag? Last time I checked, almost all of them are soft with the exception of the TT bento boxes (the open ones). It looks easy enough to route the straps under the cables. It also seems easy enough to try this at the bike store to see which fits the best. If that doesn't work, there are some small frame bags they are great - Shimano Pro Discovery and Apidura Racing 2.5. You can also just mount your toptube bag toward the seat post.

https://bikerumor-wpengine.netdna-ss...ts-2020-18.jpg
https://www.apidura.com/content/uplo...g-series-1.jpg

Last edited by jfranci3; 09-05-19 at 03:54 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.