Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which Thule Bike Rack?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Which Thule Bike Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-19, 08:13 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Which Thule Bike Rack?

I have a 2018 Jeep JK Rubicon 2 door and need a bike carrier. I am undecided between the Thule SpareMe spare tire one or their model that would attach to my already installed trailer hitch.
It will only be for up to two bikes and I am wondering if one is better than the other in respect to bike security and/or if one is easier to use or has some other advantage I am unaware of.
Thanks in advance!
Old 09-23-19, 08:43 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Personally, I don't like the rack to touch my frames.....so I would lean towards a hitch mounted rack.
Old 09-23-19, 09:29 AM
FireMed

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Sport, Santa Cruz Chameleon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Curious about this question also. Needing a 2 bike rack and was thinking a hitch mount.
Old 09-23-19, 10:16 AM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
I went cheap:

https://allensportsusa.com/collectio...uxe-hitch-rack
Old 09-23-19, 10:25 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Having used cheap racks, spare tire mount racks and really good hitch racks, do yourself a favor, one that you will appreciate each time you use the rack, and get a good one. Thule XT 2 is a good one, or Kuat Sherpa 2 is another good one.
Old 09-23-19, 10:26 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I'd spring for either a hitch rack or a roof rack.

My last trip, I did neither as I could fit two bikes, two people, and a dog (plus bags) into the back of my station wagon.
Old 09-23-19, 10:35 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
If I did mostly short drives and only carried the bike(s) from home to trailhead, then I would consider the Thule Spare Me. Saris makes a Freedom Spare rack that is a tray style too, for what its worth.
If I carried my bike(s) around thru the day on the rack, then I would want a tray rack mounted to a hitch.

A tray with arm that locks to the front wheel means less swaying and no rubbing/contacting of frames and I want that if I am towing the bike(s) around for many miles or many trips before use.
Note that the spare racks can only handle bikes that weigh under 35# each. Not sure if that matters to you too.
Old 09-23-19, 11:12 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by pickettt
Personally, I don't like the rack to touch my frames.....so I would lean towards a hitch mounted rack.
So you are saying that spare tire mounted rack design has the frames touching each other but the hitch mounted rack does not?
Old 09-23-19, 03:03 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
So you are saying that spare tire mounted rack design has the frames touching each other but the hitch mounted rack does not?
No, rather, the rack touches and potentially rubs each bike frame. Most hitch racks only touch the bikes’ tires.
Old 09-23-19, 05:53 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
A hitch mounted tray rack keeps the bikes separated and nothing touches the frame tubes. The best design so far, and the only style rack I will ever use.
Old 09-23-19, 07:46 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Kuat or 1Up. In terms of features, quality, and just plain stability, there isn't much competition. Yes Thule or Yakima...but knowing people that own them, they drool at my Kuat.

I didn't even pay retail for my Kuat NV2, CompetitiveCyclist has 20% off codes all the time.
Old 09-24-19, 11:07 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
1upusa
Likes For Elvo:
Old 09-25-19, 05:41 AM
downhillmaster

Thanks all for the info!
Will have to check out those other brands now
Old 09-25-19, 06:55 AM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts

I have a One Up rack and I’ll never own another brand. They’re expensive, but they’re worth it.
Old 09-26-19, 02:51 PM
honcho

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
1up or Saris, personally I like Saris, made in USA , Kuat Chinese: Yakima Mexico; not sure about Thule's current manufacturing, some used to be USA .
Old 01-14-21, 05:18 PM
Liftoff1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hitch mount on cars with rear mount spare tires

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Having used cheap racks, spare tire mount racks and really good hitch racks, do yourself a favor, one that you will appreciate each time you use the rack, and get a good one. Thule XT 2 is a good one, or Kuat Sherpa 2 is another good one.
I’ve been planning to use the hitch-mounted Thule Easyfold XT 2 for our 2 fatty ebikes but I’m not sure it can be done if the car’s spare tire is mounted on the rear. It would need an extension, right? So would it be strong enough for, what is it, maybe 200 lbs of bikes and rack?

We like the Thule because you can buy an extended ramp for the bikes.

Also, we’d need to be adding a hitch. Do you know what hitch would be appropriate for that rack? I’ve seen conflicting advice.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance! New here.
Old 01-14-21, 05:41 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Liftoff1
I’ve been planning to use the hitch-mounted Thule Easyfold XT 2 for our 2 fatty ebikes but I’m not sure it can be done if the car’s spare tire is mounted on the rear. It would need an extension, right? So would it be strong enough for, what is it, maybe 200 lbs of bikes and rack?

We like the Thule because you can buy an extended ramp for the bikes.

Also, we’d need to be adding a hitch. Do you know what hitch would be appropriate for that rack? I’ve seen conflicting advice.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance! New here.
Have you spoken to U-Haul or your car shop about what hitches you can even mount to your vehicle? It matters, because a Class I trailer hitch is only rated for 200lbs of tongue weight--AKA a bike rack plus load. That is it. If your vehicle can only fit a Class I hitch, you either need lighter or fewer bikes or you need to use a trailer. Remember you're talking about retrofitting a 3000lb moving weapon--so no eyeballing it or guessing.

If you check Curt's site they have a fit calculator on the front page that will find what hitches actually can fit your vehicle.
Old 01-14-21, 06:06 PM
Liftoff1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Platform rack for car with rear mount spare tire

We’re looking at Monteros to buy but they aren’t represented in Curt’s tool, which is great, BTW, thanks. The Montero has a rear-mount spare and is still sold in Mexico where we are.

Thule’s site seems to suggest that we need a class 5 hitch. We are researching the car now. But does class 5 automatically mean it can support the leverage of 200lbs on an extension long enough to get it past the rear-mounted spare tire? I’m unacquainted with hitch class.

And I’m not clear on whether it has to be a 2” or a 1.25 inch hitch.

Thule doesn’t seem to welcome customer questions like these. They just have canned Q&A.