Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How do you get a comunity aware of cycling and pedestrian laws?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-19, 02:55 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts

I live in a town of 3300 people (yes there are more cows than people in my town). I have been noticing many people especially teenagers riding against traffic and not wearing helmets (mandatory helmet law for any kids 16 and under in my state - Oregon),
I remember being taught in elementary school to walk against the flow of traffic and ride with the flow of traffic (helmets weren't the law back then and I rode for many many years as a youth without one until I was 15 and my mom bought me my first new bike (a 1985 Centurion Le Mans 12 speed).

I have posted my observations on a community facebook page along with posting the PDF file of the cyclist/pedestrian manual from the Oregon DMV.

How else can I bring awareness to the youth in my community without being that crazy old guy who yells at the kids? Heck I have a nine year old (and yes he wears his helmet when riding his bike) and a 19 year old; I don't want to see one of these younger people get hit by a car.
Old 09-25-19, 03:09 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Have you tried contacting the local school district? I'd imagine at least a few kids there get to their school on a bike, and they might be interested in teaching basic bike safety.
Old 09-25-19, 03:34 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Local law enforcement and the like.
Old 09-25-19, 03:47 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
My guess is that there is no magic or single act that will change a lack of safety awareness. I think it will take a sustained effort over time to effect change. It would help your cause if other parents were to come on board. If the PTA puts out a newsletter, or at the next town meeting, an announcement for a safety meeting of concerned parents about the issue might help get those parents on board. At that meeting you might get the ball rolling with some suggestions to begin the conversation. Maybe holding a cycle rodeo where kids are shown safe practices. Once you can get something going, there will no doubt be many suggestions, some of them very good.
A couple web sites and some ideas.
https://www.saintlukeskc.org/health-...icycle-safety#
https://www.safekids.org/bike
Old 09-26-19, 07:02 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I'm guessing that for a population of 3300, every driver just might know or recognize most of the kids. So they just might drive more carefully around them.
Old 09-26-19, 09:46 AM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I wonder if the local DMV (one town over) could get enough of the booklets on cycling/pedestrian rules of the road to the local elementary schools. If the schools would hand them out to the kids to take home that would be a start.

In our town we have two "communities" for lack of a better word, and unfortunately they don't interact often as they are two very different cultures and sometimes two different languages. Most of the kids speak English, but many of their parents do not.

We do recognize most of the kids even if we don't know their names we know they belong in town.
Old 09-27-19, 08:07 AM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by dagray
I wonder if the local DMV (one town over) could get enough of the booklets on cycling/pedestrian rules of the road to the local elementary schools. If the schools would hand them out to the kids to take home that would be a start.

In our town we have two "communities" for lack of a better word, and unfortunately they don't interact often as they are two very different cultures and sometimes two different languages. Most of the kids speak English, but many of their parents do not.

We do recognize most of the kids even if we don't know their names we know they belong in town.
Not only pass them out at schools but also during licence renewals too. Many times, motorists aren't aware of what cyclists are allowed and supposed to do.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 09-27-19, 09:51 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
You are trying to market a message. In order to do so most effectively you have to determine where people get their information in that area. You not only have to reach that audience through those sources, you have to make sure your message is impactful. You can make somebody "aware" of something and fail at changing their behavior. Fortunately it's easier to change a culture in a smaller community than it is in a larger one. Identify the social influencers there, sell them on the value and let them help you market the message.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 10-01-19, 09:05 PM
Daniel4

A community of 3300 shouldn't be so difficult to deliver flyers and pamphlets to.

The city can print appropriate fliers reminding all residences traffic laws pertaining to vulnerable road users and mass mail them out.
Old 10-03-19, 04:54 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Spend an hour one Sunday morning handing out pamphlets at the one stoplight in town. Should about cover everyone
Old 10-06-19, 11:42 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I have the definitive answer... take away their cars.
Old 10-06-19, 02:12 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Put on a bicycle rodeo for all ages. Any one local or in near by larger city(s) to get some sponsors. Have various stages, general safety, riding skills, maintenance, etc. A check off for completing each stage with some type of give away for completing all.