Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Cycle Genius Phoenix

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Cycle Genius Phoenix

Old 10-08-19, 05:24 PM
Ingvdonf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycle Genius Phoenix

I am in need of a repair manual for a Cycle Genius Phoenix. Any idea where I can pick up one?
Old 10-09-19, 07:21 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
The company went out of business in 2012. I doubt if there is a "repair manual" for the bike as there is for cars and trucks. Some manufacturers issue instruction or assembly manuals. Cycle Genius used name brand parts like SRAM, Microshift, Avid, and Truvative on their bikes so with the exception of parts like the seat and frame, parts should be easy to find.

Maintenance on a recumbent is pretty much like any other bike. What is your problem? Maybe somebody here can give you guidance.
Old 10-09-19, 07:30 AM
Ingvdonf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replace chain

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
The company went out of business in 2012. I doubt if there is a "repair manual" for the bike as there is for cars and trucks. Some manufacturers issue instruction or assembly manuals. Cycle Genius used name brand parts like SRAM, Microshift, Avid, and Truvative on their bikes so with the exception of parts like the seat and frame, parts should be easy to find.

Maintenance on a recumbent is pretty much like any other bike. What is your problem? Maybe somebody here can give you guidance.
I need to replace the chain that goes through the derailer (it has two chains on it) I would like a diagram of how to route the chain! I took it to a shop and they wanted to fix every little thing that is wrong with it to the tune of $500.00 + they recommended I scrap the bike...I am very handy, just never worked on bicycles like this before. The chain broke so I didn’t see how it was on there originally.
Old 10-09-19, 09:28 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
It looks like there are two chainrings in the mid-drive. Just as a SWAG, I'd start by routing the rear chain to the outside chainring of the mid-drive, and the front chain to the inside one.
Old 10-09-19, 11:41 AM
Ingvdonf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tried to load a picture

I tried to load a picture but it won’t let me yet. I am not familiar with the terminology.☺️ There is a chain from the pedal sprocket to a mid- sprocket. Then a chain from the mid-sprocket to the rear wheel/derailer. On the derailer, there are two small sprockets. The chain I am replacing is the one from the mid-sprocket to the rear wheel/derailer.

Last edited by Ingvdonf; 10-09-19 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-09-19, 01:36 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Stay away from that bike shop. They are a bunch of thieves. Anyone who suggests you throw away the trike because of a broken chain probably does not want to work on a recumbent. By giving you a ridiculously high estimate they are telling you to get lost.

You can buy a quality KMC chain on eBay for under $20 with shipping included. Look at the cassette in the rear and count gears. That will tell you if it is an 8 speed system or 9 speed. Six to 8 speed systems use the same chain KMC X8.93 and the 9 speed system uses KMC X9.93. If you have the broken chain, count the number of links or measure the length. There are 12 links in a foot and the standard chain is 116 links. If it is longer than 8.3 feet, you need more than one chain. This is a company I have used in the past.

8 speed chain $11.65 https://www.ebay.com/itm/KMC-X8-93-6...f18e%7Ciid%3A1
9 speed chain $12.50 https://www.ebay.com/itm/KMC-X9-9-Sp...f18e%7Ciid%3A1

You would need a chain pin tool to shorten the chain if you need to do that.
Old 10-10-19, 06:05 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
The two idlers on the rear derailleur are called "jockey wheels." Routing is as you see in VegasTriker's picture - around the left side of the lower one and around the right side of the upper one, then around the rear of the gears at the wheel. The gears are collectively called the "cassette" because they are a stack of gears, which individually are usually referred to as "cogs." To the front, in your case front AND mid-drive, the gears mounted on a spider are called "chainrings."

I'm not going to call the shop incompetent or accuse them of being unwilling to work on a 'bent, for the reason that they might be right. Measure your chains with a ruler. Twelve full links should measure exactly 12 inches. If you broke the chain, chances are that both of them are worn way beyond the point where your cassette and all your chainrings have been ruined. Replacing a chain when your gears are worn will just result in poor shifting, skipping, and quickly wearing out the new chain. Changing them all is something even a noob can do, with a few tools and a little help from youtube videos.

It's time to educate yourself.
Old 10-10-19, 06:22 PM
Ingvdonf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you

Thanks for all the information. My General Maintenance/Repair manual just arrived and I have the new chain. This bike will ride again and will help my recovery from major surgery next week!

Much appreciated!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-19, 06:37 PM
Ingvdonf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update

A quick update. I just finished a ride on the bike, it shifted smoothly through all gears and there was no slipping whatsoever. I spent a total of $40.00 on a chain and some basic tools.

Thanks again for your help.