Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Too much Trek

Old 10-28-19, 02:16 PM
SDkid605

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No Limits

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Too much Trek out here. I can’t believe how many people are riding Trek.

Good bikes but holy moses. I see Trek bicycles everywhere I go.
Some people just don't need a "name brand" to be cool; just get around on two wheels.
My Trek is awesome, gets me where I need to go, and back; that's it.
Likes For SDkid605:
Old 10-28-19, 02:21 PM
olddcarnutjag

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Steel is real

I compare them to an old Rolex, I have two old ones.
Yes I have allez, I got into a debate on ****** about Cervelo, they are the go to bike for the Ironman. but don't compare them to an F22
Old 10-28-19, 02:58 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by keno999
Just started riding again after a long layoff. I have a Specialized Sirrus and have started looking at the 2020 Domane. Can't decide on SL5 or SL6 though. I really like the SL5 Rage Red color. I probably can't tell the difference between Ultegra and 105 components.
I just purchased a 2020 Domane, after testing a few...and the SL5 is in a sweet spot. Yea, the Ultegra is great, but honestly the 105 is a solid groupset. I had 105 on my Checkpoint, and it never missed a beat. Like you said, that red on the SL5 is winning.
Old 10-28-19, 03:00 PM
Glyndwr

Bikes: 1989 Eddy Merckx Century Hitachi Team, 2008 Colnago Master X-Light, 2012 Cannondale SuperSix 5 Liquigas Team, 1995 Vitus 992 Lotto Team, 2006 Bianchi Cross Concept, 1992 Pinarello Asolo

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Where are you? Maybe it's a regional thing - in Philadelphia area, Cannondale seems to dominate.
Old 10-28-19, 07:34 PM
mort1369

Bikes: Raleigh USA Technium Olympian, Kona Hahanna single-speed, FUJI Espree Three Speed Fixie, Trek 720 hybrid/bike of burden, Trek 1200 ZX 'Superleggera' project, Trek 400 fixie, Cove G-Spot double-boinger. .

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Not enough Treks. . . . .

DSCN1592 by John Mortensen, on Flickr

TenBuckTrek by John Mortensen, on Flickr

Trek 720 with new tires by John Mortensen, on Flickr

Trek 420 Fixie New Bars by John Mortensen, on Flickr

DSC_0001 by John Mortensen, on Flickr
Old 10-28-19, 07:37 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Originally Posted by mort1369
Not enough Treks. . . . .
That's a lot of Treks...I love it!

Last edited by N00b_Cyclist; 10-28-19 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-28-19, 07:45 PM
mort1369

Bikes: Raleigh USA Technium Olympian, Kona Hahanna single-speed, FUJI Espree Three Speed Fixie, Trek 720 hybrid/bike of burden, Trek 1200 ZX 'Superleggera' project, Trek 400 fixie, Cove G-Spot double-boinger. .

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Has Trek become the Honda of the cycling world?
If you start seeing Treks with huge wings and fartcannons, then yes. . ..
Likes For mort1369:
Old 10-28-19, 07:55 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I know what this thread needs:

Not even close, this is what this thread needs:

Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 10-28-19, 09:42 PM
NeilBurt

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
All Trekked out.

1st Trek, Equinox TT bike, rider rode into me head on, on a trail, cracked the frame. Short wheelbase, made to go straight, didn't handle worth a poop. Then a Cannondale, fork broke on it, face hit the pavement so hard had to have reconstructive plastic surgery. Then a Speed Concept TT bike, it handled and rode like a dream until a lady broadsided me at a 30mph clip, cracked that frame in 4 places. Now I ride a S-Works SHIV, and a Scott road bike, couldn't be happier.
Likes For NeilBurt:
Old 10-28-19, 09:44 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
What is irritating about brands like Trek and Specialized is they have totally monopolized the American market by buying up all the space in bike stores. That pushes out most of the other really great bikes. It gets to the point where you are bombarded with just a couple brands and it gets boring seeing the same thing over and over.

However, everyone should just ride whatever they happen to like for whatever reason. Like you said it is not about being "cool" so I agree with you there. It is nice to have choices though, which is not so much the case when two brands take over everything. The best example is coffee and Starbuck's. I remember when there was coffee houses with really high quality coffee. Then Starbuck's drove everyone out of business. So now that is the only choice you have in many towns across the world. And the quality is just BAD. The bike situation is different in that you can always buy a good cheap vintage bike. So the used market kind of saves the day. If you want something unique and new in the modern bikes you might have to pay a pretty penny. Anyway I have beaten this horse to death but would be interested in other people's opinions on the subject.
Another point of view is that Trek and Specialized may have "monopolized the market" as represented by products sold in LBS and boutique outlets, but they represent 0% of the inexpensive bicycle market which dominates the bicycle market in terms of items sold in the U.S., though not in dollars spent.

Most people are not seeking unique or modern "Great Bicycles," as defined, admired and/or "seen" by bicycling enthusiasts. These bicycle consumers buy their bicycles at the stores and outlets that sell the inexpensive bicycles that they seek.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-28-19, 10:12 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Sir you have a lot of posts! I am a newbie. Wow. Sorry but could not help but notice.

I am not disagreeing with yah....sounds like you know of what you speak. Just a sincere question for my own knowledge: What are the bike brands that are dominating the U.S. market in terms of units sold?
I don't follow bicycle brand names, but I suspect it is whatever "brand" labels are applied by the distributor to the inexpensive bicycles manufactured in China and sold by the large retail and online merchants like Target, Walmart, Amazon, Bicycles Direct, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Walmart Bikes02.JPG (184.4 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg
Walmart Single Speed Bike.jpg (1.46 MB, 330 views)
Old 10-28-19, 11:27 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Point well taken. It is not genius is it. Thanks for your patience with my stupid questions.
Your questions are relevant and quite welcome.

What is stupid is the attitude of a few self righteous characters on BF who disparage other posters who provide "another point of view" that doesn't fit into their own scheme of bicycling correctness.

Rather than discuss their differences with the other point of view, they rely on posting abusive ad hominem arguments and bleating insults and accusations of Troll!
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-28-19, 11:48 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
When I got back into cycling a number of years ago, I went back to the same shop that had sold me my Univega in 1980. Bike Gallery. They are by far the largest Trek dealer in this area and, true to form, they initially showed me a helluva lot of Treks. Were quite obviously pushing Trek. So, I asked them to give me a minute. I looked around on my own. Found a gorgeous Orbea off in a corner that appealed to me. There were only two in the shop. Anyway, I bought it. Loved that bike. When that bike was stolen, I replaced it with a Wilier, another non-Trek, non-Specialized, "off" brand. Outstanding bike.

Now, I ride a BMC. It has some issues, but overall, it is terrific. I guess I'm a bit of a contrarian by nature, sort of. I tend to gravitate to the more unique, rather than the more common. For the same money, I'd much prefer a Maserati to a really tricked-out BMW--and I like BMWs. I've owned two. I've always been this way. There is just something in me that naturally recoils when I feel I am being told I have to buy a particular brand. That is a near-guarantee to get me not to buy that brand. I'll find something just as good--or better--that I find more interesting. To each her own, I guess.
Old 10-28-19, 11:54 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts

Do you live in Portland? I see Trek bikes everyday, and they aren't all mine, but these two are:

Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 10-29-19, 01:24 AM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
When I got back into cycling a number of years ago, I went back to the same shop that had sold me my Univega in 1980. Bike Gallery. They are by far the largest Trek dealer in this area and, true to form, they initially showed me a helluva lot of Treks. Were quite obviously pushing Trek. So, I asked them to give me a minute. I looked around on my own. Found a gorgeous Orbea off in a corner that appealed to me. There were only two in the shop. Anyway, I bought it. Loved that bike. When that bike was stolen, I replaced it with a Wilier, another non-Trek, non-Specialized, "off" brand. Outstanding bike.

Now, I ride a BMC. It has some issues, but overall, it is terrific. I guess I'm a bit of a contrarian by nature, sort of. I tend to gravitate to the more unique, rather than the more common. For the same money, I'd much prefer a Maserati to a really tricked-out BMW--and I like BMWs. I've owned two. I've always been this way. There is just something in me that naturally recoils when I feel I am being told I have to buy a particular brand. That is a near-guarantee to get me not to buy that brand. I'll find something just as good--or better--that I find more interesting. To each her own, I guess.
This is just my opinion...but I was being told NOT to buy Trek by friends who are sort of responsible for helping me take the plunge. For some of the same reason as the reasons in this thread. They're everywhere, not unique enough, not "elite" enough, the Schwinn of bikes, etc. That sort of drew me to them, along with the customer service. Sure, I was still looking at Specialized up until the end...but the simple fact that some people were so adamant I shouldn't get a Trek kind of secretly made me want one. Not to mention the Domane was the best looking bike for the money I saw (again, subjective, my opinion). The Madone would have been my #1 , had I been able to convince myself I could make it work long-term. The Scott Addict RC / Orbea Orca are pretty epic looking as well though, and that fully integrated cockpit is hard to get over. I definitely didn't want a bike that I didn't LOVE the way it looked...so that played a huge part in my choice.
Likes For N00b_Cyclist:
Old 10-29-19, 05:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18393 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Serious cyclists ride loaded. Just sayin'.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-29-19, 06:12 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Not even close, this is what this thread needs:

L

My dream bike. Looks like my size too. One day!
Old 10-29-19, 06:29 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Serious cyclists ride loaded. Just sayin'.

Are you referring to that certain American cyclist, with the initials LA?
Old 10-29-19, 09:14 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I've never owned a Trek although I have ridden a few Trek mountain bikes. I do have have one of its relatives a Lemond Zurich. My brother in law is a hardcore Trekkie though and has had a number of high end Treks.
Old 10-29-19, 09:20 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
This is Jimi Hendrix on a bicycle. ... ...
Which one is Jimi?
Old 10-29-19, 01:37 PM
indyfabz

Beautiful countryside. Where is it?
Somewhere along Yaak River Road, between U.S. 2 and Yaak, Montana. Remote, northwest corner of the state. The following day I took a day was a rest day. Took a ride up a forest service road into the forest to look for critters. Didn't see a grizzly (they are up there), but I did see black bear that looked to be about 3 years old. Serious cyclists are not afraid of bears. The campground host and his girlfriend took a drive up nearby road. Lion jumped down from some rocks and ran in front of their truck for a ways. He said it was the third one he had seen that year.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-29-19, 02:20 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Da Bears
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 10-29-19, 02:40 PM
indyfabz

Da Bears
I've seen maybe 10 during bike trips.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-29-19, 08:35 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I gotta say I respect all those posts you have made.
You wouldn't say that if you were forced to read 'em all.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 10-29-19, 08:58 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by jadocs
My dream bike. Looks like my size too. One day!
Thank you. I got a good deal from Mike Perry in the UK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.