Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Cycliq Fly6 as front camera?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-18, 10:57 AM
blackbearbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Curious if anyone has used a Cycliq Fly 6 both front and rear? I already have a great front light, and the Fly6 is $100 less than the Fly12.
Old 06-28-18, 12:02 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
I have the same question. I have a Fly 6 that I use in every ride. After some initial, early production glitches the unit works great.

It would be great if I could use a second Fly6 for the front.Like you, I already have a great light for the front. I don’t need the Fly12’s light.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-28-18, 12:48 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
I picked up an older version of the Fly6, with rubber bands, and a sliding mount. I don't think they make handlebar adapters for it.

However, it appears as if the newer ones use a round mount, and with some luck, the mounts would be the same for bars and seatposts. Are Fly6 and Fly12 mounts compatible? Can the camera be mounted sideways on the existing mounts?

Nonetheless, my light has flashing RED Leds whenever the camera is functioning. It wouldn't be my choice for using on the bars, and I'd probably choose a gopro, or similar instead.
Old 06-28-18, 08:04 PM
blackbearbiker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just don't see a reason why this couldn't be done... Would the app be able to see 2 Fly6's I wonder...
Old 06-28-18, 08:19 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by blackbearbiker
I just don't see a reason why this couldn't be done... Would the app be able to see 2 Fly6's I wonder...
The app can simultaneously see two Fly 6. The thing, however, you do not need the app to operate the cameras.
Old 07-09-18, 07:16 PM
jaws7

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I already have ($350 dollars worth of) front and rear lights, I wish Cycliq would sell just a camera without any light. They could call it the Fly9, and it could be used for the front or rear. Without having to power any light, the run time could easily be 8 hours and still have a small size.
Old 10-25-19, 12:57 PM
hwlngfntds

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 7, RadCity

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bumping this to see if anyone has tried it... As of today, cycliq's website says the Fly6 can be operated as camera-only, sans lights... So it would seem it could be used as a front-facing camera?
Old 10-25-19, 02:26 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
A GP Hero Session will be better in every way aside from battery life. I had the fly12 and the vid wasn't even decent enough for casual review and was near useless in low light. The rear camera will have crappy motion stabilization.
Old 10-25-19, 02:34 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Even for an older Fly6, I don't see why you couldn't use the velcro-strap mount on the headtube, then put tape over the light to block it out. I think that'd work perfectly.
Old 10-25-19, 02:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
My early gen Fly6 doesn't seem to have a camera only mode. Either red + camera, or nothing.

I'd seriously look at action cameras before putting a Fly6 on the front.
Old 10-25-19, 03:08 PM
hwlngfntds

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 7, RadCity

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got GoPros, and a 24-mile round-trip commute. They aren't a solution for anyone riding more than an hour or so at a time, using them for documentation in case of accidents / threatening / aggressive drivers, etc.

GoPros work well for clips <45 minutes and time-lapses - but not an option for long rides, or when you don't have time to charge / swap gopro batteries.

I imagine the current iteration of the Fly6 would work well. What I'm asking is if anyone's actually done it and run into problems? The Fly12 has tons of problematic reviews, given the cost.
Old 10-25-19, 06:39 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
You could always try hunting down some older generation Garmin Virb Elite cameras. A single charge gets me the 20 miles each way to work or home. When I arrive at work or home I drop the battery in the charger (two standalone chargers) for the return trip. Finding a new Virb Elite for a reasonable sum is the difficult part, although batteries and chargers are plentiful. The Virbs have image stabilization, work in GoPro mounts with the included adaptor, and can also auto start/stop recording when used with a Garmin Edge computer.
Old 11-01-19, 02:21 PM
Goldrush

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I would like a camera to record my interactions with vehicles. We typically ride 4 hours plus. The GoPro's of the world do not have enough battery life. The Cycliqs seems perfect until you read the reviews and all the trouble people have with them. Another option is the Drift Ghost X Action Camera. Inexpensive and good parameters. However it is said to interfere with Garmin GPS units, which I use. Any ideas?
Old 11-01-19, 03:37 PM
jfranci3

Yes for that long of a ride you’d need a battery tether. You’re probably running a frame or top tube bag for that long of a ride, most have cable holes to run the cord.
Old 11-02-19, 09:32 AM
Goldrush

Originally Posted by jfranci3
Yes for that long of a ride you’d need a battery tether. You’re probably running a frame or top tube bag for that long of a ride, most have cable holes to run the cord.
My bag is full already. Actually the "action cams" are not designed for recording traffic interactions. Really need a loop function and the ability to mark certain moments when needed.
Old 11-02-19, 10:18 AM
jfranci3

A tether battery takes up next to zero space and GPs have looping, but you do need to stop it (4k on a 128gb sd card is about 4hrs of vid). Really though, the reason I keep pushing this is because the video captured by the cycliq cams is dam near unviewable unless the lighting is perfect and the motion is smooth. The GP footage is light years better, usable when lighting is poor, and won't have the tilt/mounting issue the Fly6 would have.
Old 11-02-19, 01:26 PM
Goldrush

Originally Posted by jfranci3
A tether battery takes up next to zero space and GPs have looping, but you do need to stop it (4k on a 128gb sd card is about 4hrs of vid). Really though, the reason I keep pushing this is because the video captured by the cycliq cams is dam near unviewable unless the lighting is perfect and the motion is smooth. The GP footage is light years better, usable when lighting is poor, and won't have the tilt/mounting issue the Fly6 would have.
Thanks for the info. I'll take a closer look at the GoPro's. Looks like there are several models to chose from.