Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shimano SL7900 Dura Ace Shifters Discontinued

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-19, 01:45 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts

It seems these have been dropped and are already getting hard to find. If you want some you better get them if you can find them. I have them on two bikes and love em. https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-SL...n-Tube-Shifter
Old 11-18-19, 03:44 AM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
I believe they've been discontinued for a while, just that Jenson (previously the lowest price) was clearing out their stock.
Old 11-18-19, 09:16 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Originally Posted by Kuromori
I believe they've been discontinued for a while, just that Jenson (previously the lowest price) was clearing out their stock.
They may have been but last spring I bought a set and I found them from several retailers. No one seems to have them now. I did find a set on Amazon but they are apparently gone there too today.
Old 11-18-19, 12:38 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
It's amazing how quickly a modern supply chain can dry up. I used to be a vocal (perhaps even annoying) advocate for 7-speed Shimano drivetrains -- replacement freehub bodies and HG50-level cassettes were cheap and plentiful, in a wide variety of road/touring configurations. They even changed up the finish to be a shiny silver a couple years ago. Sites like Universal Cycles or Niagara showed hundreds of them in stock. Then, poof! -- everything dried up except for a couple of cheap wide-range cassettes. I'm not sure if Shimano decided that they weren't selling enough to continue, or if we're seeing the impact of their new dealer-only distribution arrangement.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-18-19, 04:14 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
IME is it is easier to source certain vintage drive train components, like durace 7400 era, than it is more modern but not current, components, (found this out a few years back when I did a 9speed ultegra 6500 build, as I had stumbled on NOS shifters/brakes, It was hard and expensive to put together a full group. )

Old 11-18-19, 04:29 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
I am seeing many pairs "new" on eboy. Some are overseas shippers with shipping costs.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...fters&_sacat=0

if you like 'em, grab 'em. As stated above, supply chains are run very lean now and once an item gets superseded, you're unlikely to see it again.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 11-18-19, 04:35 PM
BradH
Catching Smallmouth

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 1985 Trek 460, 2005 Lemond Tourmalet, 1984 Schwinn LeTour 'Luxe, 1988 Trek 400T, 1985 Trek 450, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1993 Diamond Back Apex, 1988 Schwinn Circuit, 1988 Schwinn Prologue, 1978 Trek TX700, Sannino

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
It's amazing how quickly a modern supply chain can dry up. I used to be a vocal (perhaps even annoying) advocate for 7-speed Shimano drivetrains -- replacement freehub bodies and HG50-level cassettes were cheap and plentiful, in a wide variety of road/touring configurations. They even changed up the finish to be a shiny silver a couple years ago. Sites like Universal Cycles or Niagara showed hundreds of them in stock. Then, poof! -- everything dried up except for a couple of cheap wide-range cassettes. I'm not sure if Shimano decided that they weren't selling enough to continue, or if we're seeing the impact of their new dealer-only distribution arrangement.
The same goes for the 13-23 HG50 eight speed cassettes. I loved these and they were cheap. I should probably grab up a few of my favorite nine speeds before they dry up too. 14-25 and 13-25 are so nice.
Old 11-19-19, 03:07 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
I am seeing many pairs "new" on eboy. Some are overseas shippers with shipping
Yep, the cheaper ones from Germany end up being $140 by the time you're done.

One less set available now, from Japan, anyway.

Thanks for the tip. 2/3 x 10 downtube, if you find decent brake levers, is a sweet setup.
Old 11-20-19, 09:33 AM
TXsailor

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Yep, the cheaper ones from Germany end up being $140 by the time you're done.

One less set available now, from Japan, anyway.

Thanks for the tip. 2/3 x 10 downtube, if you find decent brake levers, is a sweet setup.
Since I snagged the last set on Amazon I felt like if there were any left anywhere they would go pretty fast. I love the way they look & feel on my Ironman
I guess these were made for the aftermarket only I haven't seen any pictures of them factory installed on production bikes.