Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's your resting heart rate?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-19, 07:21 PM
katcorot

Bikes: 2013 Surly Big Dummy, 2008 Giant Rincon, 1980's Raleigh Century, 1970's Apollo Deelite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
5 years or so ago I had to switch doctors after mine retired. New doctor on a visit realized they hadn't updated files on my heart rate. Their machine takes it 3 times over few mins to reduce anxiety messing with results. I don't remember the number but the doctor was surprised. Had to remind him I cycle daily to commute anywhere I need to be. He eventually concluded I was fit with no problems.
Old 11-18-19, 07:44 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
High 40s to low 50s usually...really slow down this time of year...seems to be in the mid 50s ish now...
Old 11-18-19, 07:57 PM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
my heart rate at 145 after a run drops 50 bpm in 60 seconds as my gps watch with built in hr monitor tells me....are those the numbers ur looking for
I’m not a doctor, but from what I’ve read, that seems about right.
Likes For Artmo:
Old 11-18-19, 08:54 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
This is Bike Forums in "winter posting mode," where anything can become a competition. So long as a resting HR is within a medically acceptable range, the actual number is all but meaningless.

But people on here would compete to see who has the biggest and smallest feet.
I guess a size 9 isn't going to win me any medals huh?
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 11-18-19, 09:13 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Not sure if out of shape people are just not posting in this thread, or if everyone on this forum is ridiculously in shape.

Going into my 3rd year of riding. Super duper out of shape, especially aerobically. Regularly got out-climbed by people with 40+ lbs on me even when I was in “peak” shape. My resting HR was probably in the high 80s before I started riding. Now it’s somewhere in the mid 70s.

I’m also smaller/younger than many, I assume. My max HR is 199 all-time, 192 consistently.
Old 11-18-19, 09:35 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Not sure if out of shape people are just not posting in this thread, or if everyone on this forum is ridiculously in shape.

Going into my 3rd year of riding. Super duper out of shape, especially aerobically. Regularly got out-climbed by people with 40+ lbs on me even when I was in “peak” shape. My resting HR was probably in the high 80s before I started riding. Now it’s somewhere in the mid 70s.

I’m also smaller/younger than many, I assume. My max HR is 199 all-time, 192 consistently.
you want to increase ur aerobic capability take up running in addition to riding.as I do....running is cardio king
Old 11-18-19, 09:38 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Resting heart rate is not necessarily indicative of aerobic capacity. Heart Rate Recovery is.
Old 11-18-19, 10:10 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
you want to increase ur aerobic capability take up running in addition to riding.as I do....running is cardio king
oh yeah I’m sure. I can definitely taste the blood in my mouth when running haha. Unfortunately running anymore than 2 miles makes my legs seize up for a week. I would have to consistently run for a couple weeks to develop the tolerance. Aerobic capacity is my #1 weakness right now but I think the focus this time of year is on endurance.
Old 11-18-19, 10:45 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
This is Bike Forums in "winter posting mode," where anything can become a competition. So long as a resting HR is within a medically acceptable range, the actual number is all but meaningless.

Take it easy on them... One of the symptoms of bradycardia is confusion or mental fog. 😜
Likes For HarborBandS:
Old 11-19-19, 09:14 AM
nmanhipot

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Langster Comp, 2005 Schwinn DBX Super Sport, 2004 Trek 5900 Superlight

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
According to the Apple Watch, mine's usually 42-43 after hard days and 41 after average or light days. I have a notification set for if it goes into the 30's which it's only done just a couple of times. Sometimes it will show 39 when I'm watching it but then it will bounce back up to 42 so there's some variability in there.

I was in the hospital back in September after a crash with a motor vehicle and had internal bleeding. While in the ER, I started to crash which wasn't a very fun experience. At first I felt "not good", then a bit nauseous, then like I might pass out. I was talking to my wife through the whole thing and asked her to get help once I crossed the "not feeling good" stage. According to the nurse I turned really pale, started sweating profusely, and started losing consciousness. Within two minutes of asking for help there were about 9 people in the room, half of whom were working on me with towels and sensors and reading stats. They put me on oxygen and I recovered naturally over a few minutes time but I thought I was going to lose consciousness. I didn't really think I was going to die but the thought crossed my mind while I was starting to get tunnel vision. During that episode my HR was down in the mid-30s (36?) which was abnormally low for me but what was really clear I was in distress was my blood pressure tanking (for me) which is usually somewhere close to 120/80. I think my BP was in the 90s/50s which, for my condition, was way too low.

I guess my feeling on the subject having gone through that is that as long as you feel fine, you're probably OK as long as you're keeping in contact with a doctor periodically. Learn to know your body well and if you suspect anything, by all means, go to a professional for assessment. It's comforting for me to see that I'm not alone in the low 40's camp even though I'm still pretty overweight. I do wonder what it will go down to if I continue to lose even more weight.
Old 11-19-19, 09:27 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
not sure. What is the point of knowing it?
thanks!
Old 11-19-19, 11:11 PM
phillman5

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When I gave blood a year ago, mine was below 50 so all sort of calls had to be made to approve me giving blood.
Old 11-19-19, 11:14 PM
phillman5

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope This is Bike Forums in "winter posting mode," where anything can become a competition.

Originally Posted by Bigbus
I guess a size 9 isn't going to win me any medals huh?
I win, size 8
Likes For phillman5:
Old 11-20-19, 06:36 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
not sure. What is the point of knowing it?

thanks!
Resting heart rate is not necessarily indicative of aerobic capacity. Heart Rate Recovery is.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My best had been 48 bpm, occasionally 44,@ 60+ yo when cycle commuting and training on a schedule of mileage. Most recently during a down period has been about 52.
As a decades-long lifestyle cyclist, mostly for fitness, I have mainly assessed my overall fitness by three metrics:

1. the objective measurement of resting heart rate
  2. by the semi-quantitative, defined metric I use for training, Relative Perceived Exertion (link); i.e. my perceived exertion going up a usual, well-known hill on my route in relation to cadence and speed
  3. how long it takes to recover from that exertion to my usual cruising exertion.
Old 11-20-19, 07:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Now let's do best birth date and most aesthetically pleasing Social Security number, and you have to put your real name down so we can verify.

Just so I don't get zapped for a TOS violation, DON'T POST THAT STUFF! I'm kidding.

And if you've never experienced orthostatic hypotension, I don't recommend it. My doctors took me off atenolol because it slowed my heart too much.
Old 11-20-19, 07:55 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Now let's do best birth date and most aesthetically pleasing Social Security number, and you have to put your real name down so we can verify.

Just so I don't get zapped for a TOS violation, DON'T POST THAT STUFF! I'm kidding.

And if you've never experienced orthostatic hypotension, I don't recommend it. My doctors took me off atenolol because it slowed my heart too much.
Oh, me and orthostatic hypotension go way back. My feet and my heart are ever so far apart. Some rides I forego the "cooldown spin" for the last mile or so on the way home, and pay dearly for that omission the first time I foolishly jump up from the couch, or stand straight up after crouching down in the supermarket to get something off of the lowest shelf. Fun times.
Old 11-20-19, 08:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Oh, me and orthostatic hypotension go way back. My feet and my heart are ever so far apart. Some rides I forego the "cooldown spin" for the last mile or so on the way home, and pay dearly for that omission the first time I foolishly jump up from the couch, or stand straight up after crouching down in the supermarket to get something off of the lowest shelf. Fun times.
Worst for me was getting out of the car. I'm just lucky I was never seen by a cop swaying as I came out. I never passed out, but I sure came close a few times.
Old 11-20-19, 08:46 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Sitting normally, sitting and relaxing or when I first get up, there's probably a range of 30 bpm, so it's hard for me to say. I've seen 50 when sitting in a chair.

my heart rate at 145 after a run drops 50 bpm in 60 seconds as my gps watch with built in hr monitor tells me....are those the numbers ur looking for

I found some surprising information about that, that is a little different from what "everyone knows". We all think of that first minute as the most important as a gauge of cardio fitness. But someone checked at a large sample of mostly older people, and the first minute recovery rate correlated with age more than fitness! Not a lowered rate for older men as you'd expect, but a faster recovery rate.

The second minute recovery rate is what you want, according to them. Sorry, I couldn't dig up the reference.

However, check this one out: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...99910283411804 the first minute HR recovery rate was a strong predictor of mortality, when it was unusually low. So 50 bpm puts you solidly in the clear on that.
Old 11-20-19, 09:24 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by phillman5
Originally Posted by DrIsotope This is Bike Forums in "winter posting mode," where anything can become a competition.

I win, size 8
I can top that:
Glucose Lvl: 103 mg/dL !
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 11-20-19, 09:26 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,860 Times in 3,154 Posts
I'm still working on the wave of blood flow caused by the systole I experienced at around 0600, after my first cup of coffee. I'm expecting another one sometime after lunch.

What really upsets the nurses when I go in for surgery is the size of my...feet.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 11-20-19, 11:22 AM
phillman5

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I can top that:
Nope, two different categories!
Old 11-21-19, 03:37 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
O-H is a problem. If you think it is embarrassing when falling over in a parking lot when forgetting to unclip you really note the reactions when they see platform pedals and sneakers! After many tests for low BP and pulse (seldom over 100/60 @ 50 bpm- age 69 and not really an athlete) what does the Doc say?
"Stay healthy!"
And my target is only sixty miles a week. Although I am somewhat hampered by living in the midst of serious hills and a nagging Twinkie habit.
Old 11-21-19, 03:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bunch of people auditioning for the Bradycardia Bunch.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-21-19, 03:51 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I can top that:
90. When I was a fatter guy, 120...
Old 11-21-19, 03:59 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Varies between 48 and 54.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.