Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strapless Toe Clips

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Strapless Toe Clips

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-19, 01:50 PM
Jeff of Vt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Strapless Toe Clips

I usually use clipless pedals but I plan on continuing my riding through this winter. As such, I won't be able to depend on my typical cycling shoes. Seeing the prices of cycling boots, I'm inclined to forgo that option. $250 for boots of vastly lower quality than comparable non-cycling boots seems impractical. They don't even have properly welted soles.

I see there are plenty of options for strapless toe clips. I see them referred to as half toe clips as well. I'll also want a good pair of non-slip platforms to mate them to. My question is this: I wear size 13 shoes and I plan on using boots. Which of these clips will be large enough to accommodate?
Old 11-03-19, 04:16 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Plastic half clips from a MTB should do the trick... https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bicycle+h...l_4oj5mda5y1_e

Do a quick google search!
Old 11-03-19, 05:48 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
I have size 13 feet & uses size 14 Columbia winter boots. they're big

I use these clips & snap off the top part & file the edge smooth. these are good cuz I can bend them a little to open them up a little more

Mks Double Strap Toe Clip L

I use these pedal extenders so that my foot can be positioned comfortably left to right

Sunlite Pedal Extenders

I use these tubes from the hardware store cut to approx. 15mm long. I also had to buy bolts washers & nuts just the right size to hold everything in place, so that my foot can be positioned comfortably front to rear

have to slide the 1/2 clip in toward the frame to help keep it centered on the foot (not the pedal). it's not perfect but it's the best I can do. someone should invent a big pedal that meets these specs for our purpose

without those adjustments my feet were hanging off the side & I was pedaling more w my toes that the better part of the foot. I leave these all on year round cuz it's hassle. turns out they just fine the rest of the year with hiking shoes

regular plastic clips aren't designed for big fat winter boots

my system provides basic foot placement & also some retention. it would be nice to find even bigger clips but I haven't

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-03-19 at 06:10 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-03-19, 06:14 PM
Jeff of Vt

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've been out of the platform pedal market for some time. I've only used the slick-when-wet ubiquitous plastic platforms and the old-style touring style that mate well with conventional strap/clip systems.

I've been eyeing the newer mountain pedals with the pins. Allegedly, they provide great grip. Downside is that they won't work well with toe clips due to the asymmetrical leading face on most without putting in some work. I feel as though the clipless system has become a bit of a crutch as I've been depending on them for proper foot-pedal orientation. Perhaps I'm best off giving the newer mountain platforms a try and then considering clips. I suppose I could always rig up a mounting plate for clips on any of the pedals that are thick enough.

I saw the Zefal toe clips which prompted this thread on Amazon. I was also thinking that metal is better due to ability to reashape as needed. MKS apparently makes a strapless version so that cutting and chamfering the strapped version isn't needed.

Last edited by Jeff of Vt; 11-03-19 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-04-19, 01:35 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Jeff of Vt
MKS apparently makes a strapless version so that cutting and chamfering the strapped version isn't needed.
yeah saw those. they still look too shallow for my feet & would benefit from those tube extensions mentioned above. try the big MTB pedals w/ pins & see how it goes. easy peasy, buy 'em & install them, done!
Old 11-05-19, 01:43 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
I usually use clipless pedals but I plan on continuing my riding through this winter. As such, I won't be able to depend on my typical cycling shoes.
Is this for on or off-road riding? Just wondering why you can't use your clipless shoes/pedals in the winter? I'm strictly a road cyclist, and I use my clipless setup all winter long. If your issue is with warmth, or a barrier the water...you can use a shoe cover.

Dan
Old 11-07-19, 07:42 PM
Jeff of Vt

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Is this for on or off-road riding? Just wondering why you can't use your clipless shoes/pedals in the winter? I'm strictly a road cyclist, and I use my clipless setup all winter long. If your issue is with warmth, or a barrier the water...you can use a shoe cover.

Dan
Honestly, I'm tired of cycling shoes. I've never liked the idea of having cycling-specific shoes and I've been using them for years. I'm aware of the benefits of stiffer soles but I'm not really one for purchasing modest efficiency at the cost of practicality. I've considered shoe covers but that would only add to that. There's also the complaints of lack of durability of shoe covers and I'm hard on equipment.

Regarding off vs on roading, I do both. I've decided to set up my bike for it: a drop bar 29er after playing around a bit with a CX-esque road bike. I ride some pretty rough trails, in addition to the road and the latter bike hasn't been up to the challenge.

I got myself a pair of modern flat pedals in the mail today and I will give them a test run this weekend. If I find the foot traction adequate, I may eschew clipless for quite a while.
Old 11-20-19, 05:59 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I was considering the Velo Orange Grand Cru Sabot pedal, until I realized that a toe-clip on it might be too long for my foot. Maybe this combo would work for a large foot.
Old 11-20-19, 07:29 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
What you want are Power Grips. They have large sizes that will accommodate boots. You bolt them to the flat pedal of your choice.
Old 11-20-19, 11:04 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
What you want are Power Grips. They have large sizes that will accommodate boots. You bolt them to the flat pedal of your choice.
Those look pretty scary.
Old 11-20-19, 11:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6

I use these clips & snap off the top part & file the edge smooth. these are good cuz I can bend them a little to open them up a little more

Mks Double Strap Toe Clip L

I use these pedal extenders so that my foot can be positioned comfortably left to right

Sunlite Pedal Extenders

I use these tubes from the hardware store cut to approx. 15mm long. I also had to buy bolts washers & nuts just the right size to hold everything in place, so that my foot can be positioned comfortably front to rear

have to slide the 1/2 clip in toward the frame to help keep it centered on the foot (not the pedal). it's not perfect but it's the best I can do. someone should invent a big pedal that meets these specs for our purpose

without those adjustments my feet were hanging off the side & I was pedaling more w my toes that the better part of the foot. I leave these all on year round cuz it's hassle. turns out they just fine the rest of the year with hiking shoes

You could go unequal size tube spacers and gently bend the bolts to locate the toeclip right where you want it. It will look a little funky when you aren't riding but when you look down you will see perfect clips over your boots. The rest of the time its just a problem for someone else.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 11-20-19, 11:42 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
Those look pretty scary.
They work surprisingly well. You are in and out of them without a thought, and your foot is fast against the pedal when you want it to be. With boots or street shoes.
Old 11-21-19, 05:43 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6

Great post, you really show how to do it. Thorough and with pictures.

I ride with size 13W boots so I need something like this. That's year-round for me. I'm probably a 12 or 12.5 foot but I use custom orthotics in my shoes so I need the bigger size.

I've read that MKS clips come in two sizes, including a bigger one with some vertical depth to make room for bigger shoes. Is that what the MKS L is? For some reason I thought they called that size XL. Maybe I'm not remembering that right.

I'm also using pedal extenders. I'm having a problem because the extender diameter raises it above the top of the pedal, meaning a lug of my boot can sometimes ride on that and make my foot pivot around that high point. One side of my pedal is taller than the other, and it only happens on the shorter side.

I've been expecting to cut a wood block and drill it to do the same thing you're doing with plastic tubes.
Likes For rseeker:
Old 11-21-19, 09:26 AM
rumrunn6

I would consider trying these

MKS Half Clip Deep Steel Toe Clips

or these

MKS Half Cage Clip (Size Large, 55mm Deep)
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-25-19, 01:11 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Honestly, I'm tired of cycling shoes. I've never liked the idea of having cycling-specific shoes and I've been using them for years. I'm aware of the benefits of stiffer soles but I'm not really one for purchasing modest efficiency at the cost of practicality. I've considered shoe covers but that would only add to that. There's also the complaints of lack of durability of shoe covers and I'm hard on equipment.
The idea of stiff soles being more efficient is not proven, and it is most likely a myth. You can search youtube for comparison videos - it doesn't make a measurable difference even when measured with advanced equipment. There remain advantages to clipless (but you're not faster at regular riding or more efficient):
1. Your foot stay attached to the pedal while wildly sprinting
2. You can exert more power for short sprints (but at the cost of burning more energy)

So basically it does have uses if you're seriously racing, but outside of that it's pretty much a draw - use whatever you like better.

You can get clipless-level traction in every direction (except pulling up on the pedal obviously) with two things:
1. Flats with metal pins
2. Five Ten bike-specific shoes. They're flat on the bottom, but use a specific rubber compound that grips the pins very strongly.

Here's the five then shoe closest to what I wear:
https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-t...men-bike-shoes