Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-15, 12:52 PM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello to all of you crosstrail owners and those considering one.
I believe there are enough ct owners on the hybrid forum to warrant this dedicated space.
My 2016 comp disc should be arriving in a few days, and I look forward to providing and receiving
feedback from others who ride, tinker, and modify this fine bike.
I have two questions to start us off.
First. for the micro adjust seatposts, is there a maximum insertion indicator?
second. Have you weighed your bike, if so how much does it way and what accessories are included in that weight?
so that's it...I would also like to extend this invitation to the ladies who own the sister version of this bike, the ariel.
Have a good ride
Old 08-10-15, 03:45 PM
McSpazatron

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First post for a new rider here. Glad I found this site. Last rode any real distances back in college days on a late 90s Trek 820. Peer pressure (the good kind) from a friend had me thinking of biking again for fun and exercise, so I dusted off the 820 and rode it for the better part of a month until the rear bearings went out. I got a new wheel and decided that I would pass it down to my daughter since she was showing interest in going riding some distances with me....and BLAMMO!....I just justified to myself buying a new bike!

This lead to the search... Although my buddy does pretty much technical mountain biking, I had no interest in MB riding anymore (being 40yo and 265lbs). But I also wasn't interested in pure road bike either. The flexibility of DS type hybrids were just up my alley. I test rode two Giant Roam 2's. Was totally set on getting one. The first lbs was a bit expensive, and I dropped the chain on the test ride a couple of times. Didn't feel right, and wasn't ready to lay out the cash. After a week or so I went to another store that had the bike for 50 bucks less, so I went money in hand. The chain did a lot of snapping and popping on the test ride, so the LBS decided to swap out another chain. Test rode it again, and as the LBS salesman watched, I broke the chain as I rode around the lot (and not on the master link either). Got a bad feeling about the Giants, even though I really liked the bike. I test drove a trek 8.2DS, which was ok, but on the expensive side.

In the end I decided on a Crosstrail Disc (2015) earlier in July. It felt perfect in terms of comfort and fit on the test ride. I have had a great time with it and I've put on about 200 miles far mostly on bike paths, and a bit on gravel and easy single track. It has been trouble free after I figured out how to get the derailleurs set up just right (they were serviceable as set up from the store, but they still rubbed on the FD more than I liked). The tires have been great. I've had one flat (I'm used to have frequent flats) but honestly the tire did the best it could in trying to keep the screw out (it barely pierced the tube).

I had a bit of buyers remorse at not getting the Sport version, because I hate the gargantuan WWII panzer style wheels and chain slap on the Altus rear derailleur, (also would have been nice to have those hydraulic brakes). But truth be told, I never thought I would drop 600 bucks on a bike two months ago, so I didn't want to push it financially. I still can't get over that this bike has more entry-level components than the old 820. But I guess that's inflation over the course of 20 years.

Accessories so far include a Lynzene ABS pump, seat tube bag, bar ends, aluminum platform pedals with studs, and I mounted up an old cheap bike computer I found on discount a few years back for 10 bucks. I'd like to have a firmer RD to reduce chain slap, but unfortunately after doing some research, it seems like there aren't really any options to upgrade the RD for an 8 speed (besides the complete drivetrain), so I guess I'm stuck with "das Altus" till I wear it out.

I'm looking forward to building up my endurance. I started our with 5-10 mile rides, and have gotten up to 22 miles once after I decided to keep going on a whim (which was a mistake, I hadn't had breakfast, and almost ran of fuel a couple of miles from home. Almost called the wife to bring me a granola bar, lol). Even though I was tired after that ride, the Crosstrail was actually comfortable the whole way. I'm looking forward to my first century on it, but' I'm pretty sure it won't be just yet

Last edited by McSpazatron; 08-10-15 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-10-15, 06:00 PM
FM1178

Bikes: Specialized Roll & Trek Fuel Ex 8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

My 2015 Crosstrail Sport Disc. I did 18 miles on it today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (99.7 KB, 2969 views)
Old 08-10-15, 06:10 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
I did 46 miles yesterday on a trail ride from MD to York PA. I've done a lot of different styles of riding on this bike this past 5 or 6 months. It appears I'm wearing down my Crosstrail already. In the next couple months, I will need to replace the Bottom Bracket, chain and the rear cassette. I'm guessing I have been hard on this bike, being a clyde. But it's worth the extra expense to fix. I'm loving riding this bike!

Attached Images
DSC_1999 (576x1024).jpg (99.5 KB, 2912 views)
DSC_2014 (576x1024).jpg (102.1 KB, 2857 views)
DSC_2104 (576x1024) - Copy.jpg (100.3 KB, 2875 views)
DSC_2170 (576x1024).jpg (102.1 KB, 2848 views)
DSC_2226 (576x1024).jpg (95.5 KB, 2843 views)
DSC_2501 (576x1024).jpg (83.6 KB, 2839 views)
DSC_2600 (1024x576).jpg (98.1 KB, 2850 views)
DSC_2642 (576x1024).jpg (95.7 KB, 2824 views)
Old 08-10-15, 07:15 PM
ColdCase

Bikes: Crosstrail Comp Disc

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Comp Disc first impressions were in this thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...ervations.html

I have near 500 miles, perhaps 70% on paved rail trails, 25% on unimproved rail trails and 5% in parks. Current weight is 27 Lbs. It is a 2015 (built Jan 2015) that came from the factory with 2016 spec parts except it still has an XT rear.

I swapped handlebars to the sport disc model (my right wrist loves the upswing), added bar ends, Shimano PD-A530 pedals, and schwalbe almotions. A couple other odds and ends like a bottle cage, seat bag, $20 computer, lights and a bell I've been experimenting with saddles, the OEM is pretty good, the serfas RX road is a bit softer, feels like it adds a bit of rear suspension to soften sharp bumps. At about mile 25 my seat bones get just a sore as the original saddle, however, even with padded shorts. So I'm looking for another to try.
Attached Images
IMG_5897 edge gallery.jpg (89.6 KB, 1465 views)

Last edited by ColdCase; 08-11-15 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-10-15, 07:56 PM
avidone1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had no problem with the stock saddle on the crosstrail I test rode, but I love my serfas Rx performance. It's sleek enough and weighs a little more than an ounce
more than the bG targa, but the center channel that runs the length of the saddle is a huge benefit for me. No pressure on "the boys" and the ventilation it provides
is priceless. My part of Florida has a winter that lasts about 2 weeks. The rest of the time is warm, hot, or really hot. And the humidity?
fuggedaboudit.
Old 08-10-15, 08:08 PM
FM1178

Bikes: Specialized Roll & Trek Fuel Ex 8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ColdCase
My Comp Disc first impressions were in this thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...ervations.html

I have near 500 miles, perhaps 70% on paved rail trails, 25% on unimproved rail trails and 5% in parks. Current weight is 27 Lbs. It is a 2015 built to 2016 specs except it still has an XT rear.

I swapped handlebars to the sport disc model (my right wrist loves the upswing), added bar ends, Shimano PD-A530 pedals, and schwalbe almotions. A couple other odds and ends like a bottle cage, seat bag, $20 computer, lights and a bell I've been experimenting with saddles, the OEM is pretty good, the serfas road is a bit softer, feel like a bit of rear suspension to soften sharp bumps, but my seat bones get just a sore as the original saddle, at about mile 25.

why did you replace the OEM tires? We're they worn out or were you just trying something new?
Old 08-10-15, 08:41 PM
ColdCase

Bikes: Crosstrail Comp Disc

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FM1178
why did you replace the OEM tires? We're they worn out or were you just trying something new?
I didn't like the way the tiger sports spit stones out and complained on gravel/loose rock.. and the rolling resistance on asphalt seemed high. Then I hate flats and read poor reports of them on the internet, but that may not have been the case. You can't believe everything you read on the internet. Anyway, the almotions seem to be just a little better tire all around for me except in the mud, but then mud is always fun. My spouse loves the tiger sports on her Ariel sport disc, almost as much as she likes the indigo color .

Last edited by ColdCase; 08-10-15 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-10-15, 10:51 PM
McSpazatron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was previously complaining about not having any options to upgrade my Altus rear derailleur on my Disc based on some websearches that left my head spinning with the amount of derailleur options and compatibility issues. I was mostly confused after researching this, but had the impression that there weren't any options besides changing out the entire drivetrain. But I noticed on another thread a discussion on the Jamis DXT Comp. The specs on the Jamis indicate it's an 8 speed with a Deore RD M 591 derailleur. I would imagine it is this same one: Amazon.com: Shimano RD-M591 Deore SGS Rear Derailleur (9-Speed, Long Cage, Black)

Do any of you know if this RD would work as a bolt in replacement for my 2015 Crosstrail Disc without having to change out anything else?
Old 08-11-15, 05:08 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Mc****atron
I was previously complaining about not having any options to upgrade my Altus rear derailleur on my Disc based on some websearches that left my head spinning with the amount of derailleur options and compatibility issues. I was mostly confused after researching this, but had the impression that there weren't any options besides changing out the entire drivetrain. But I noticed on another thread a discussion on the Jamis DXT Comp. The specs on the Jamis indicate it's an 8 speed with a Deore RD M 591 derailleur. I would imagine it is this same one: Amazon.com: Shimano RD-M591 Deore SGS Rear Derailleur (9-Speed, Long Cage, Black)

Do any of you know if this RD would work as a bolt in replacement for my 2015 Crosstrail Disc without having to change out anything else?
A Deore (long cage) r/d should be perfectly fine. You'll need to set it up (B-screw; limit screws; indexing) and check chain length, but nothing else. Indexing (the movement of the r/d for each 'click' of your shifter) is controlled by the shifter, not the rear derailleur.
Old 08-11-15, 05:20 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I think the bike lends itself well to a mix of urban and off the beaten path journeys.

The high volume tires are more reassuring than the narrower tires used on gravel road/adventure bikes.
Old 08-11-15, 08:19 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Mc****atron

My understanding is this Deore should work fine. It's actually something I looked at to replace my sons Acera when he finally and will eventually destroy it. He's already bent it a couple times. He only has an 8 speed as well.
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 08-11-15, 12:47 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
OK, now that I've discussed my 2015 Crosstrail Comp in several threads, this will probably be a good place to actually prove I have such a beast. So here's a picture taken just this morning of my bike prior to setting out on another adventure. For those wondering what the "thing" is next to the bottle cage, its a tire pump that attaches to the bottle cage mount. I changed the stock pedals for Specialized Bennies and the grips, Ergon GR5's, were transferred from my previous bike. I also swapped the stock seat for a Specialized Avatar, it is a NICE saddle! Shouldn't have waited so long to make the swap...oh and the bike's weight at the LBS was 26 lbs.

Cheers! Enjoy your rides!
Attached Images
P8110240 5x7.jpg (96.1 KB, 2968 views)

Last edited by trainchaser; 08-11-15 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-11-15, 02:54 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by trainchaser
OK, now that I've discussed my 2015 Crosstrail Comp in several threads, this will probably be a good place to actually prove I have such a beast. So here's a picture taken just this morning of my bike prior to setting out on another adventure. For those wondering what the "thing" is next to the bottle cage, its a tire pump that attaches to the bottle cage mount. I changed the stock pedals for Specialized Bennies and the grips, Ergon GR5's, were transferred from my previous bike. I also swapped the stock seat for a Specialized Avatar, it is a NICE saddle! Shouldn't have waited so long to make the swap...oh and the bike's weight at the LBS was 26 lbs.

Cheers! Enjoy your rides!
Beautiful looking bike.
Old 08-11-15, 03:45 PM
avidone1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really like what did with the pedals and bottle cage....gives it some flair fer sure.
do you remember the make and model of the saddle bag?
Old 08-11-15, 04:44 PM
kielwb

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2014 Crosstrail Sport Disc owner here, and aside from the fact that it's really heavy (especially with my rack and other junk added on!) it's a great bike.

Took it on vacation with me over the weekend and rode down to the Cape May-Lewes Ferry:

Modifications are the Super Tourist DX Disc rack, Cygolite Metro 400 headlight and Hotshot tail, MTX trunk bag, Ergon GP4 grips. I still think I want to get a lightweight road bike eventually, but I'm a clyde and I'm still getting back into the hang of riding often, so it's more of a future goal...and then I'll have this as my bad-weather beast.
Old 08-11-15, 05:25 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1
I really like what did with the pedals and bottle cage....gives it some flair fer sure.
do you remember the make and model of the saddle bag?
The seat bag is called the Specialized 'Wedgie', its around $30 as I recall, small enough that it doesn't get in the way but large enough that I can put my cell phone and bike tools in it along with other stuff like kleenex and small snack items. I already had it on my previous bike so that's why I'm guessing on the price - I bought it a couple years ago...

cheers!
Old 08-13-15, 04:50 PM
deviusdragger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got done with a 10mi ride. Good times, and i still love my bike!
Old 08-13-15, 05:16 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by deviusdragger
Specialized's website doesn't do these Crosstrail's justice, they are such good looking bikes.
Old 08-14-15, 12:50 AM
deviusdragger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish they had more detailed pictures on their site. I had to wait to get mine shipped to actually get a look at it. But i still love mine!!!
Old 08-14-15, 06:00 AM
routenull0

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently acquired a Crosstrail Sport Disc after being jerked around by the local Trek shop on the arrival of an 8.4DS and I can say I am 100x happier with the Crosstrail and the LBS that supports them. I've only had the bike a full week but I am thoroughly impressed with the build quality and it's a blast to ride.

Here is a picture of when I got it home:

Already installed a Wahoo sensor kit to pair with my Garmin Fenix and a set of pedals, just waiting on shoes to arrive.
Old 08-14-15, 07:27 AM
avidone1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I really like those blue pedals....what brand are they?
Old 08-15-15, 02:17 PM
deviusdragger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are black ops platform pedals. Super light and spin very good. I have no complaints as far as traction on them.
Old 08-16-15, 07:28 AM
avidone1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I can't keep my eyes off this bike!!!.....That saddle looks very comfy. Sorry to keep bothering you, but which model is that?
Old 08-17-15, 06:52 PM
deviusdragger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No bother at all my friend, it's a Selle SMP TRK saddle. It's pretty much an all around saddle, but it's so much more comfortable than my specialized targa that came on ny bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.