Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Reducing Weight of Space Horse

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-17, 09:00 AM
cdenniston

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just finished my bicycle tour for this year and now it is time to convert my All-City Space Horse to a pure road bicycle. I purchased the bicycle this spring and immediately outfitted it for touring. The bicycle is the cantilever Tiagra 49cm Space Horse in the silver color. I am not planning to tackle any major upgrades but rather I am swapping out minor parts and components to reduce the weight and improve the performance of the bicycle. So far I am swapping my touring Panaracer Pasela's 700x35c's for a set of Conti Grand Prix 4000s 700x28c. I am also swapping my Brooks C17 saddle for a Soma Hishou because I was not 100% satisfied with the C17. I am also picking up a Thomson Elite seat post and a set of Blackburn titanium bottle cages. I am also considering upgrading the rear cassette to an Ultegra to drop some weight. I have been looking at Cranksets because the stock Tiagra cranks are beasts and I imagine I can find something much lighter and sexier.

I am interested in hearing your recommendations for getting my Space Horse ready for some quick paced road solo and group rides. Specifically I would like recommendations for the crankset as I am not sure what is compatible. I really love the bicycle and experimenting with the component changes and upgrades is really all just a part of the fun!

I work in the outdoor industry so I receive discounted prices on most cycling products. This allows me to do somewhat ridiculous upgrades such as the Blackburn titanium bottle cages
Old 07-20-17, 09:03 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
If you want lighter, change your groupset to SRAM, to include a SRAM Force (or Red) crankset.
Old 07-20-17, 09:14 AM
ne_dan

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a second bike, unless you're 100% sold on "that" bike. The frame and fork alone are probably pushing at least 6-7 lbs and the whole build is probably mid 20's. For the amount of $$ it'll cost to make it lighter you could probably build up a second bike. Search CL, Facebook all that, looking for a frame that fits and then put all the upgrade parts you're going to put on the All-City on the frame.

I have a Mr. Pink and even with the Whiskey Carbon Fork, Dura-Ace C24 wheels, decently light cockpit, carbon seatpost and saddle. It's still a hair under 19lbs. Rides good but that's the nature of the beast with All-City's they're tanks.
Old 07-20-17, 09:48 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Got any pictures of it, as-is? If you've got the bars set up high for touring, one of the best mods for fast group rides might not be to shed weight from components but to get yourself in a more aero position for speed.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-20-17, 11:27 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by cdenniston
I just finished my bicycle tour for this year and now it is time to convert my All-City Space Horse to a pure road bicycle. I purchased the bicycle this spring and immediately outfitted it for touring. The bicycle is the cantilever Tiagra 49cm Space Horse in the silver color. I am not planning to tackle any major upgrades but rather I am swapping out minor parts and components to reduce the weight and improve the performance of the bicycle. So far I am swapping my touring Panaracer Pasela's 700x35c's for a set of Conti Grand Prix 4000s 700x28c. I am also swapping my Brooks C17 saddle for a Soma Hishou because I was not 100% satisfied with the C17. I am also picking up a Thomson Elite seat post and a set of Blackburn titanium bottle cages. I am also considering upgrading the rear cassette to an Ultegra to drop some weight. I have been looking at Cranksets because the stock Tiagra cranks are beasts and I imagine I can find something much lighter and sexier.

I am interested in hearing your recommendations for getting my Space Horse ready for some quick paced road solo and group rides. Specifically I would like recommendations for the crankset as I am not sure what is compatible. I really love the bicycle and experimenting with the component changes and upgrades is really all just a part of the fun!

I work in the outdoor industry so I receive discounted prices on most cycling products. This allows me to do somewhat ridiculous upgrades such as the Blackburn titanium bottle cages
Can you get a deal on wheels? I would spend the money on a lighter weight but still stiff set of aluminum wheels before I change out the crank and other stuff. Something like a White Industry T11 hubset laced to Hed Belgiums or something like that.
Old 07-20-17, 11:49 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
a caliper carbon fork with an aluminum steerer will be the best bang for your buck. The nashbar one can be had for $70 when they have 25+% off sales.
Old 07-20-17, 11:51 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ne_dan
Get a second bike, unless you're 100% sold on "that" bike. For the amount of $$ it'll cost to make it lighter you could probably build up a second bike.
I agree completely. You'll sink a lot of dollars into this project and still end up with a not particularily light bike. I would either get a 2nd bike or just ride the Space Horse as is. The weight isnt really gonna make much difference, anyway.
Old 07-20-17, 01:53 PM
cdenniston

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for the suggestions! I agree about picking up another set of wheels. This is something I will look into morwe and if anyone has some suggestions for wheel sets I should look at please let me know!

As for a second bicycle I do see where you all are coming from. However, in the past I have owned a few bicycles and for the type of riding I do and my lifestyle I am now fully committed to owning only 1 bicycle. I understand that the Space Horse will never be a full carbon di2 sub 15lb racing rig and I am perfectly content with that fact. Rather than owning multiple bicycles I will own 1 bike with a variety of components and accessories. I enjoy bike wrenching (It is part of my job). Working on the bicycle is a hobby in itself for me and I enjoy the process of rigging up the bike for new uses and new adventures. I hope that makes sense. I understand that many other people would simply buy another bike but that is not my approach.
Old 07-20-17, 01:55 PM
cdenniston

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
a caliper carbon fork with an aluminum steerer will be the best bang for your buck. The nashbar one can be had for $70 when they have 25+% off sales.
Interesting thought! I will look into carbon forks for the Space Horse and think about that option. Thanks!
Old 07-20-17, 02:04 PM
cdenniston

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touring Space Horse

Here is the Space Horse in full touring mode.

Old 07-20-17, 02:07 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Okay - if you're not going to get a second bike, I'd recommend a different only bike.
Old 07-20-17, 02:09 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I've got a lightly used Thomson Masterpiece seat post I want to sell. Setback variety. 27.2. Two problems: first I won't be home for another three weeks to send it if you wanted it. And second I can't remember whether I cut it to my minimum insertion point to lighten it. I don't think so, but I am just not sure. If you are willing to wait to find out, let me know by PM. I will make you a good price. Great post.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-21-17, 12:28 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Thanks all for the suggestions! I agree about picking up another set of wheels. This is something I will look into morwe and if anyone has some suggestions for wheel sets I should look at please let me know!

As for a second bicycle I do see where you all are coming from. However, in the past I have owned a few bicycles and for the type of riding I do and my lifestyle I am now fully committed to owning only 1 bicycle.
Y'know, this doesn't really make sense to me.

To make the Space Horse into a somewhat typical road bike, you'd have to swap out pretty much everything except the frame -- which, by the way, is one of the heavier and less roadie components.

Seriously, just get a second bike. It won't cost much more, it won't take up much more space, you'll have a second bike as a backup, you'll get a bike more suited to the purpose, and plenty of opportunities to do maintenance.
Likes For Bacciagalupe:
Old 07-21-17, 01:34 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Get an aluminum tubular wheelset and run Veloflex tires. Arenberg for 25mm and a 28mm tire is offered, too. Much less rotating weight and the comfort of a high TPI, supple tire.
Old 07-21-17, 02:06 PM
evan326

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tiagra groupset is one thing that will weigh you down. Ultegra at least if weight is your goal, sram is far lighter though.
Old 07-21-17, 03:52 PM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not sure any ultegra cassette will be compatible with tiara derrailerus.
Old 07-21-17, 03:53 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by 12strings
I'm not sure any ultegra cassette will be compatible with tiara derrailerus.
what?
Old 07-21-17, 04:06 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
what?
No wonder the princess' bike doesn't shift well.
Old 07-21-17, 05:10 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I went through that weight reduction game 40 years ago with my Motobecane. Wasn't worth the money and didn't accomplish significant weight reduction that might translate to riding. Although I did learn from the experience so it was sort of worth the effort.

So when I got a similar weight Univega last year I decided to leave it pretty much as-is in terms of weight and just concentrate on making it comfortable and efficient.

Biggest different was tires. I tried three sets before settling on a pair that felt right and actually translated to consistently faster riding without extra effort, per cycling app data over a period of months.

So when I got an old steel frame Centurion Ironman in early June I took the same approach. I'm not gonna worry about trying to shave ounces here and there. At 24 lbs it's already reasonably lightweight.

But it felt sluggish, and over five weeks of riding I wasn't significantly faster than riding my 30 lb Univega.

Until I swapped tires from the Vittoria Zaffiros supplied with the bike to Schwalbe Ones. That was good for a consistent 1-2 mph speed boost over distance and a few rides.

Best $30 upgrade I could make. Sure, it'll last only as long as the tires. But the only other significant weight loss I could make that might translate to better performance would involve giving up beer. And that ain't gonna happen for the sake of 5 lbs.
Old 07-21-17, 11:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
You need a 10sp cassette. Dont get an ultegra cassette as its 11sp.

Wheels being lighter and tires being lighter. Those 2 things make a huge difference in both actual weigh drop and perceived lightness. Lighter wheels and tires get up to speed faster.
Lighter crankset would be something to consider. Ultegra is 8oz lighter(crank and bb cups) than Tiagra. Is 8oz worth the cost?
New fork is possible, sure. Caliper front canti rear would rub me wrong, but if it works for you- that be a place to save. Otherwise there are carbon cantilever forks- ritchey, whiskey, etc. $200-350 depending. Again- cost worth the weight savings?

Personally, i would slap on supple tires and a lighter wheelset and call it good. Its never going to be light- it wasnt meant for that. Itll end up lighter than my road bikes though so you wont be at the bottom of the barrel!
Old 07-22-17, 03:02 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
There really isn't a lot of weight to save on any single part. To get a light bike you need to have "all" - well, a strong majority of - parts have to be lighter than average.
Old 07-22-17, 08:03 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
You can't turn a labrador retriever into a greyhound. The Space Horse is what it is. It was a great choice for touring and a very enjoyable bike for general riding, but a fast and agile road bike it will never be, no matter how much money you throw into shaving weight. IMHO, a modest upgade to 105 or Ultegra as the original components wear out is reasonable but throwing a lot of money into ultralight parts on that frameset is an exercise in futility.

It's your money and bike so, by all means, do what you want, but by posting on an internet forum I assume you want opinions from other people. With the discounts you mentioned, I'd seriously consider finding a lighter frame set with the geometry you want and put your money into building a really impressive road bike.
Old 11-09-19, 08:47 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Perhaps the best option would be to remove as much metal from the frame as you can by drilling as many 3/8" holes in the frame as you can fit without compromising the overall structural integrity...

Sorry, just kidding!

Probably the best option really would be to put on lighter wheels and tires, and to seriously consider finding a good used steel frame on ebay for $250.00 that is 2 - 3 pounds lighter and do a body transplant... There is jsut nothing on that bike that is light... If you do the labor yourself that would cut several pounds and cost maybe $600...
Old 11-09-19, 08:50 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22594 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Perhaps the best option would be to remove as much metal from the frame as you can by drilling as many 3/8" holes in the frame as you can fit without compromising the overall structural integrity...

Sorry, just kidding!

Probably the best option really would be to put on lighter wheels and tires, and to seriously consider finding a good used steel frame on ebay for $250.00 that is 2 - 3 pounds lighter and do a body transplant... There is jsut nothing on that bike that is light... If you do the labor yourself that would cut several pounds and cost maybe $600...
Thread is kinda old. I suspect OP figured something out.
Likes For datlas:
Old 11-10-19, 07:46 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I do not like when people pull up old threads. Unless the original question was never answered, or the OP was reporting back, or useful updated information.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.