Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Question Regarding Cross Training/Weight Lifting

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-19, 08:26 AM
Psychocycles

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

I've been turning to the gym to do some cross training/weight training in my off season and I had a question regarding something that happens to my left knee whenever I squat: On my way down, the large tendon on the outside of my knee (I believe it's the hamstring tendon), feels like it rubs over a bone, moving its position, and on my way up it snaps back to its original position. It's not painful at all when it happens, but I don't want to cause issues further down the line - this only occurs when I squat, and doesn't occur any other time (lunging, DL, cycling, running, etc). I'm a fairly experienced weightlifter, having exercised for around 15 years but never fully explored my squat because A) don't have a spotter and B) I never wanted to press the issue with my knee. I don't remember always having this issue but can't pinpoint exactly when it started happening. If I turn my knees slightly inwards, I loose strength but the tendon does not snap back and forth.

Anyone have any idea why this occurs and how to fix it? I'd really like to start squatting heavy to build leg strength but don't want to cause bursitis or tendonitis.

Appreciate any input from other experienced weightlifters.
Old 09-11-19, 09:14 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
No idea why that is happening, but please note that squats, while a very good exercise, are not necessary to build leg strength. Lunges, deadlifts, and even the leg press are all decent alternatives.

Perhaps try squatting with your toes pointed more forward and your knees tracking along your toes? If sticking your knees out wide is causing the problem, don't do this.
Old 09-11-19, 09:27 AM
Psychocycles

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
When I squat, I hold what is considered "good" form, with the knees tracking directly over the toes, weight in the heels, and no lateral movement in the knees. The exception is when I experimented and moved my knees inwards about 1/2-1" each which eliminated the snap, but kept my feet in the same position. Might try to squat sumo style, with my toes pointed out and see if that makes any difference.
Old 09-11-19, 09:34 AM
OBoile

Originally Posted by Psychocycles
When I squat, I hold what is considered "good" form, with the knees tracking directly over the toes, weight in the heels, and no lateral movement in the knees. The exception is when I experimented and moved my knees inwards about 1/2-1" each which eliminated the snap, but kept my feet in the same position. Might try to squat sumo style, with my toes pointed out and see if that makes any difference.
Are your toes pointed out 30 degrees as is typical? If so, try pointing them more straight forward. This is essentially how they are for a lunge which you say doesn't cause the issue. You could also use the leg press to experiment with different foot/leg angles.
Old 09-11-19, 09:43 AM
Psychocycles

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Are your toes pointed out 30 degrees as is typical? If so, try pointing them more straight forward. This is essentially how they are for a lunge which you say doesn't cause the issue. You could also use the leg press to experiment with different foot/leg angles.
I usually squat with the toes pointed straight forward, parallel to each other with no angular degrees.
Old 09-14-19, 07:18 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I assume you're talking about the back squat. Have you tried the front squat? You won't be able to lift quite as much, but it will force to keep strict form. Might help with the knee.
Old 09-14-19, 07:32 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
If one exercise is causing any type of problem, then find a safer alternative. In your case if the squat is an issue, find another exercise. There are a lot of leg exercises which don't involve a barbell.
Old 09-14-19, 07:43 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Make sure your form is spot on. Don't use your knees to initiate the squat... Initiate the squat movement with your hips/glutes and sit back when going down and then coming back up.
Old 09-15-19, 05:40 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Psychocycles
I usually squat with the toes pointed straight forward, parallel to each other with no angular degrees.
Oh wow. Totally do not do that. I'm 5'6", heels maybe 15" apart, toes pointed out ~30°, knees tracking directly over toes, knees never extending past toes, weight on heels, back straight except for a little butt wink at the bottom if I go down all the way. A powerlifter who's been in the top 5 several times, nationally and internationally, helped me get my position just right. Mirrors help a lot if you don't have an expert coach. Here he is:

Using this position takes a little getting used to. Your inner hammies will get sore - careful not to pull one. Increase the weight slowly. Sumo is for deadlifts and the guys who go really heavy don't use that style. Snatch, yes. If you want to have fun with weights, the snatch is more fun than anything.
Old 09-16-19, 07:26 AM
OBoile

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Oh wow. Totally do not do that. I'm 5'6", heels maybe 15" apart, toes pointed out ~30°, knees tracking directly over toes, knees never extending past toes, weight on heels, back straight except for a little butt wink at the bottom if I go down all the way. A powerlifter who's been in the top 5 several times, nationally and internationally, helped me get my position just right. Mirrors help a lot if you don't have an expert coach. Here he is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyc1MB7ei5Y

Using this position takes a little getting used to. Your inner hammies will get sore - careful not to pull one. Increase the weight slowly. Sumo is for deadlifts and the guys who go really heavy don't use that style. Snatch, yes. If you want to have fun with weights, the snatch is more fun than anything.
There's nothing inherently wrong with one's knees going past their toes. Pretty much everyone who has ever front-squatted does this (so every Olympic weightlifter ever).

As for the rest of it, yeah that's pretty much the default for how to squat, but everyone is a bit different. I agree about the "sumo" style squat. It's good for lifting maximum weight while wearing a multi-ply squat suit and using a monolift so you don't have to walk it out... but that's about it IMO.

Last edited by OBoile; 09-17-19 at 12:02 PM.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 09-17-19, 09:41 AM
Psychocycles

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
If one exercise is causing any type of problem, then find a safer alternative. In your case if the squat is an issue, find another exercise. There are a lot of leg exercises which don't involve a barbell.
I think this is my biggest takeaway - I want to keep cycling for the next 60 years, so I will stay away from exercises that my body doesn't seem to like and find others that suit it fine. I've always struggled with the squat, I wonder if my lower body is just poorly set up for it.