Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Bike Trainer

Old 10-16-19, 04:51 AM
Weakbikr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts
Bike Trainer

I'd like to get a trainer, I have no idea what to get but my budget wont allow much. Can someone fill me in on the types of trainers and what the differences are? Seems that a fluid trainer is a good idea but this is all so new to me.
Old 10-16-19, 10:49 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...cise-bike.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...o-you-use.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/training-...uld-i-buy.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/training-...-trainers.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdal...e-trainer.html
Old 10-16-19, 01:31 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
I did a quick google search to remember the correct spelling of the name of my trainer to cite here and in my search found a good link on trainer differences.
https://www.livestrong.com/article/3...bike-trainers/

I personally like a magnetic resistance trainer over a fluid trainer, but I am clearly in the minority. I have a Kurt Kinetic magnetic trainer. I picked up an old low mileage bike leaning against a garbage bin that looked like it would be a great trainer bike, I hated to see it go to the landfill. So, I re-greased a few parts and put on a new chain, different pedals, different saddle. It is permanently stationed on my trainer and I leave it in high gear. I use the magnetic system to adjust drag.

A fluid trainer is not adjustable like a magnetic trainer, thus you adjust your gears for more or less resistance.

A good fluid one will approximate the resistance that you feel on the road. If you are trying to keep statistics from one workout to the next, you want the fluid trainer. A magnetic one would be bad for comparing statistics from one day to the next because it is adjustable so you would be comparing apples with grapefruits. I am a low wattage rider, I have never overheated a trainer or a trainer tire.

It is important to use a stand under the front wheel to raise it up so your bike is positioned the same as it would be on a horizontal road.

Some people put a mat under the bike to catch sweat drips, etc., I use a beach towel.
Old 10-16-19, 05:39 PM
Weakbikr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks for the info i have some reading to do.
Old 10-16-19, 06:54 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I did a quick google search to remember the correct spelling of the name of my trainer to cite here and in my search found a good link on trainer differences.
https://www.livestrong.com/article/3...bike-trainers/

I personally like a magnetic resistance trainer over a fluid trainer, but I am clearly in the minority. I have a Kurt Kinetic magnetic trainer. I picked up an old low mileage bike leaning against a garbage bin that looked like it would be a great trainer bike, I hated to see it go to the landfill. So, I re-greased a few parts and put on a new chain, different pedals, different saddle. It is permanently stationed on my trainer and I leave it in high gear. I use the magnetic system to adjust drag.

A fluid trainer is not adjustable like a magnetic trainer, thus you adjust your gears for more or less resistance.

A good fluid one will approximate the resistance that you feel on the road. If you are trying to keep statistics from one workout to the next, you want the fluid trainer. A magnetic one would be bad for comparing statistics from one day to the next because it is adjustable so you would be comparing apples with grapefruits. I am a low wattage rider, I have never overheated a trainer or a trainer tire.

It is important to use a stand under the front wheel to raise it up so your bike is positioned the same as it would be on a horizontal road.

Some people put a mat under the bike to catch sweat drips, etc., I use a beach towel.
My first trainer was fluid. Used it for a couple years, tried numerous things to alleviate boredom. The seals finally let go and fluid leaked out. My advice would be to provide for fluid loss, should it happen to you. I moved to a Wahoo KickR Snap with Rouvy.
Old 10-16-19, 07:13 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
One more thing, a fan on a stand can be really nice to have.

I watch tv when on the trainer or watch a video on my tablet. The bike and trainer is noisy enough that I use headphones. But that means I am mostly thinking about the tv show and not on training, thus I am doing a low wattage endurance kind of ride, not interval training or anything like that.

I do not use the trainer very much, instead in winter I am mostly using an exercise bike at a health club instead. But before I started using the health club, the trainer got much more of a workout.
Old 10-17-19, 12:13 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
One more thing, a fan on a stand can be really nice to have.

I watch tv when on the trainer or watch a video on my tablet. The bike and trainer is noisy enough that I use headphones. But that means I am mostly thinking about the tv show and not on training, thus I am doing a low wattage endurance kind of ride, not interval training or anything like that.

I do not use the trainer very much, instead in winter I am mostly using an exercise bike at a health club instead. But before I started using the health club, the trainer got much more of a workout.
I consider a fan to be a must....two actually
Old 10-22-19, 08:20 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Weakbikr
I'd like to get a trainer, I have no idea what to get but my budget wont allow much. Can someone fill me in on the types of trainers and what the differences are? Seems that a fluid trainer is a good idea but this is all so new to me.
Saw one at Aldi the other day for $40 I believe. Before you question the quality, I have one of their bike work-stands and unbelievably, it's darn good quality! Think I paid $18 for it.

Edit to add this...

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...rainer-review/

Last edited by one4smoke; 10-22-19 at 08:38 PM.