Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Di2 shifting, is not enough micro adjustments?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-19, 08:11 PM
mmattheww

Bikes: Trek FX S 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Canyon Endurace 8.0 Ultegra Di2
Medium cage derailleur
originally came OEM with an 11-34 cassette
I put on an 11-28

Issue - I cannot get the gears indexed right. They shift crisply down the cassette to higher gears but are noisy shifting up the cassette. Once in the gear, it sounds fine though I should add.

I have checked hanger alignment with a professional tool.

One strange symptom is that at -16 micro adjustments the chain and cassette aren’t noisy. They should be? And then you adjust +4 clicks and then test, according to the manual.

11-34 cassettes come with a 1.85 spacer from Shimano. Could it be that the new cassette is sitting too shallow? 11 speed shouldn’t need a spacer...
Old 10-22-19, 08:34 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by mmattheww
11-34 cassettes come with a 1.85 spacer from Shimano. Could it be that the new cassette is sitting too shallow? 11 speed shouldn’t need a spacer...
Yes. The newer 11-speed cassettes in fact DO need the spacer on a conventional road bike 11-speed hub.

BTW, Welcome.
Old 10-23-19, 08:12 AM
mmattheww

Bikes: Trek FX S 4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you!! Thinking I should I try a 1.85 spacer for starters. If it's too much, I assume when I tighten the cassette it won't tighten right.

Are there any other causes of noisy shifting up the cassette? Again, once it shifts, it stays in gear, but it's noisy shifting up. And I've played with the B-screw a bit with no luck.
Old 10-23-19, 08:30 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
@mmattheww

Someone corrected me in another thread yesterday. The 11-34 requires a spacer, but he said the 11-28 does not. (I only use 11-34T, so I falsely generalized). If the 11-28 came with the spacer, then it probably is worth trying. If it did not, then almost certainly it is not required.

Another thing is the chain might be on backward. The lettering on the plates should be facing outward (and if you have a quick-link, you need to pay attention to that too, although the latter wouldn't likely be the cause of your issue).

Because of my frame, my derailleur centers around +14 clicks, which I find annoying. There is a way to re-zero it, but I have never been able to figure it out.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 10-23-19 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-23-19, 10:35 AM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Check you chain length...going from a 34 to a 28 is a big drop, so you'll probably have to remove a link or two.
Old 10-23-19, 06:10 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3234 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
@mmattheww

Another thing is the chain might be on backward. The lettering on the plates should be facing outward (and if you have a quick-link, you need to pay attention to that too, although the latter wouldn't likely be the cause of your issue).
This is very true. My system was noisy the first year and change and when I replaced the cassette and chain, I READ THE DIRECTIONS and noticed the chain had a a direction it’s supposed to run. I’m too type A to actually read directions.....