Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Safety tip

Old 11-18-19, 11:36 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Safety tip

If needing to cross an intersection twice to get to the opposite corner, always do it in the clock wise direction. That way you will always be facing on coming traffic. They will not be coming up behind you.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 11-19-19, 12:42 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
If needing to cross an intersection twice to get to the opposite corner, always do it in the clock wise direction. That way you will always be facing on coming traffic. They will not be coming up behind you.
That's when you're walking your bike in the pedestrian zone, right?

If you're riding your bike through the intersection, stay in the car lane.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 11-19-19, 10:21 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
I'm assuming walking, but it's not ALWAYS.

This works on a conventional two road intersection where each road is two-way. Where people drive on the left you'll want to walk anti-clockwise to cross to the pavement on the opposite corner.

Some intersections have a pedestrian scramble, where traffic is stopped in all directions and pedestrians can cross diagonally.

But for two road intersections with one-way roads (much of Manhattan), it's six of one/half a dozen of the other. On average, 1/2 the time you'll cross with traffic at your back on one leg, 1/4 the time you'll cross with traffic at your back on both legs, and 1/4 the time you'll cross facing traffic on two legs. (Pretty much only half the people are walking up on the odds and down on the evens, or walking east on the odds and west on the evens. I doubt you will find ANYBODY who goes out of their way to walk that way though. Most taxi drivers are going the right way though. But look both ways, because not all taxi drivers.)

But then there is BOSTON, where we just dump n-roads into an intersection. (Think of walking through a six way intersection with five stop signs.)
Or Rochester, where three stroads make twelve corners.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 11-19-19 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-19-19, 10:27 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
With all due respect, what does this mean? You can't legally face oncoming traffic for the bulk of ones riding so why make exceptions? Consistency is more important that personal perceptions of safety. As a pedestrian in the same situation I first cross the street that has the green light! Why would I wait through an additional light cycle just so I can make the double cross in a particular direction? What I can't see, I can hear. I am not at anymore of an advantage traveling against traffic as with it.
Old 11-19-19, 11:26 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
you will always be facing on coming traffic
sorry, I don't get it. when I cross streets, I'm traveling perpendicular to traffic
Old 11-20-19, 04:01 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I look behind me before stepping off the curb when I'm crossing counter clockwise. No big deal. Just common sense nowadays and everyone should get into the habit of doing it. I wouldn't trust my safety to drivers.
Old 11-20-19, 08:49 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Doing so increases the risk from left turning vehicles.
Old 11-21-19, 03:18 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
When I crosses the streetz, I eats my spinach and knocks dem cars' blocks off.

guh guh guh guhguh! Toot toot!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-21-19, 03:39 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by CB HI
Doing so increases the risk from left turning vehicles.
No, it doesn't. Again, on a two road each road two ways intersection, especially on "exclusive" left turn lanes on stroads. There are almost ALWAYS people running the left turn light.

When I am walking WITH traffic I have to guess who is the last driver to run the red left arrow, and I almost always have to wait until the wall of motor vehicles going straight blocks the MA holes from running the red.

When I am walking AGAINST traffic even the worst MA holes running the red light have cleared the intersection before they can kill me.

(And then around here, there is also the "Massachusetts" left at the green ball. Where the first one (or two or three or....) left turners say AFTER ME and cut off everyone going straight. Again, walking WITH traffic they are now aiming at ME. Walking against traffic and it's a close but no cigar.)

Back when I started walking again I could barely make it across the intersection during the walk light, let alone make it across after waiting five or six seconds. So, I'd have wait for the next walk light and hope that I got a nice hole first in line in the left turn lane who actually stopped for the red light.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 11-21-19 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-21-19, 06:06 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Cross the road isn't brain surgery. Look before you come off the curb. That's it!

If you have your head buried in your phone screen while crossing the road, well, then you're putting your life in the life of someone behind the wheel of a 2-ton projectile who may also have his head buried in his phone.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 11-22-19, 02:12 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by mcours2006
Cross the road isn't brain surgery. Look before you come off the curb. That's it!
Lots of people hear this as “look both ways.”

Look four ways, five ways if Underminer, six ways after they send in the drones.

-mr. bill
Old 11-23-19, 08:21 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Straight from the Bent Nanny
Likes For trailangel:
Old 11-23-19, 10:27 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by mr_bill

Look four ways, five ways if Underminer, six ways after they send in the drones.

https://youtu.be/3FblaeYxj6o

-mr. bill
Just looking isn't good enough. As we all know, a lot of motorists look and see you but cut you off anyways.

So for cyclists and pedestrians, look for motor vehicles and interpret if they are going to slow down or stop for you. Sometimes the car that stops for you gets honked by the car behind him.
Old 11-24-19, 05:50 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006

If you have your head buried in your phone screen while crossing the road, well, then you're putting your life in the life of someone behind the wheel of a 2-ton projectile who may also have his head buried in his phone.

https://youtu.be/3FblaeYxj6o

-mr. bill
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Just looking isn't good enough. As we all know, a lot of motorists look and see you but cut you off anyways.

So for cyclists and pedestrians, look for motor vehicles and interpret if they are going to slow down or stop for you. Sometimes the car that stops for you gets honked by the car behind him.
As a further corollary to the above, I have often posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I try to keep safe with certain aphorisms in my head that come to mind to alert me when I encounter a situation where unseen dangers may lurk...

Over the past few months I have come to realize that my safety aphorisms (link), collected over the years by personal or vicarious experience, are my way of actively aligning the stars in my favor, to anticipate those unseen and otherwise unanticipated dangers.

FWIW, for my own information at least, my other aphorisms [include; nine in total]:

1, 2…

3. To know where a car is going, watch the front wheels, not the body or hood.

4…9…

Those are all I remember for now, and they all pop-up in my mind as I encounter the situation.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-25-19 at 06:23 AM. Reason: a few clarifications
Old 11-24-19, 03:11 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
I didn't expect this to make any sense, wasn't disappointed
Old 11-25-19, 12:30 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
I cannot even picture what this thread is about.
Old 11-25-19, 09:12 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by indyfabz
It's about crossing the street.
Old 11-26-19, 07:53 AM
Jim from Boston

Safety tip
If needing to cross an intersection twice to get to the opposite corner, always do it in the clock wise direction.

That way you will always be facing on coming traffic. They will not be coming up behind you
That's when you're walking your bike in the pedestrian zone, right?

If you're riding your bike through the intersection, stay in the car lane..
I'm assuming walking, but it's not ALWAYS.

This works on a conventional two road intersection where each road is two-way. Where people drive on the left you'll want to walk anti-clockwise to cross to the pavement on the opposite corner.

Some intersections have a pedestrian scramble, where traffic is stopped in all directions and pedestrians can cross diagonally.

But for two road intersections with one-way roads (much of Manhattan), it's six of one/half a dozen of the other. On average, 1/2 the time you'll cross with traffic at your back on one leg, 1/4 the time you'll cross with traffic at your back on both legs, and 1/4 the time you'll cross facing traffic on two legs.

(Pretty much only half the people are walking up on the odds and down on the evens, or walking east on the odds and west on the evens.

I doubt you will find ANYBODY who goes out of their way to walk that way though. Most taxi drivers are going the right way though. But look both ways, because not all taxi drivers.)

But then there is BOSTON, where we just dump n-roads into an intersection. (Think of walking through a six way intersection with five stop signs.)

Or Rochester, where three stroads make twelve corners.

-mr. bill
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
With all due respect, what does this mean? You can't legally face oncoming traffic for the bulk of ones riding so why make exceptions? Consistency is more important that personal perceptions of safety.

As a pedestrian in the same situation I first cross the street that has the green light! Why would I wait through an additional light cycle just so I can make the double cross in a particular direction?

What I can't see, I can hear. I am not at anymore of an advantage traveling against traffic as with it.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It's about crossing the street.
Originally Posted by trailangel
Straight from the Bent Nanny
With all due respect to the oft-maligned @rydabent, I think he makes an interesting observation that I've not thought about personally. In any case, though I probably always subconsciously worry about rearward up-coming traffic, I wear a rearview mirror.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-26-19 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-26-19, 07:57 AM
mr_bill

Safety tipWith all due respect to the oft-maligned @rydabent, I think he makes an interesting observation that I've not thought about personally. In any case, though I probably always subconsciously worry about rearward up-coming traffic. I wear a rearview mirror.
When you are walking?

-mr. bill
Old 11-26-19, 08:33 AM
Jim from Boston

”Safety tip”

With all due respect to the oft-maligned @rydabent, I think he makes an interesting observation that I've not thought about personally.

In any case, though I probably always subconsciously worry about rearward up-coming traffic. I wear a rearview mirror.
When you are walking?

-mr. bill
Why not?
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Not quite sure how wearing a mirror will prevent cagers from hitting the pedestrian wearing it. Then again, I AM short-sighted!...
Originally Posted by Robert C
...Here is the problem; people just aren't looking for pedestrians. I never had as many close calls as I have started having while walking.

The trouble is that the walk light puts me in the path of left turning cars behind me
. It is one particular intersection…
How about wearing a rearview mirror. Like a Take-a-Look? ...
Originally Posted by mc9000
While walking through a parking lot during my lunch break, I caught myself mindlessly looking for my "Take a Look" mirror a few times.

I missed that ability to get a glimpse behind me without having to turn around.

Anybody else experience something like this with a bike or bike accessory tha tyou've really come to depend on?
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Why don't you wear it while walking?
Old 11-26-19, 09:08 AM
mr_bill

Maybe a picture is worth 1000 words.

A person crossing the road on the Southeast corner heading west (against oncoming traffic).

Where they have to look in magenta. (The additional directions people in Boston have to look in cyan. We ALWAYS have to watch our back.)

-mr. bill
Old 11-26-19, 10:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Maybe a picture is worth 1000 words.

A person crossing the road on the Southeast corner heading west (against oncoming traffic).

Where they have to look in magenta. (The additional directions people in Boston have to look in cyan. We ALWAYS have to watch our back.)

-mr. bill

I've been staring at that for several minutes, and I just can't find Waldo.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-26-19, 11:03 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I've been staring at that for several minutes, and I just can't find Waldo.
You need to zoom:

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill: