Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Slow internet help

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Slow internet help

Old 03-20-18, 07:14 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 469 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6366 Post(s)
Liked 917 Times in 599 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain View Post
I'm very jealous of the upload speed and stunned by the latency. I'd be more curious if you used a site like Berkeley, love to see the latency on that.
Speedtest doesn't list a site in Berkeley, so I chose San Francisco. The results are still pretty good:

And as I suspected, local traffic is better at 9am than in the evening:

Pretty good, eh?

I'm really angry about how internet access is creating another divide between haves and havenots. This is a serious matter, and the government should be taking action to see that we all have reasonable access at reasonable rates.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-22-18, 02:08 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 3561 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 714 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
I'm really angry about how internet access is creating another divide between haves and havenots. This is a serious matter, and the government should be taking action to see that we all have reasonable access at reasonable rates.
Yeah, I've had that debate with friends of the free-market-fixes-everything persuasion. They don't seem to grasp the differences between infrastructure and non-necessary consumer goods.

Slowpoke internet and unaffordable voice service is a pox. I discontinued our voice landline because it was overpriced, underperforming and no longer needed here.

The best AT&T can offer is 10 Mbps downstream/2 Mbps up, but at $30 it's the cheapest game in town. No bundling required, 1 TB per month limit, which I've never come anywhere close to on my busiest month with 6 down/0.6 up. Probably the most I've done is 100 GB when I was archiving photos to cloud storage. Usually it's 30-60 GB a month.

But it's still inadequate for business ventures that depend on uploading a lot of data routinely. Pretty much rules out any independent media services. Which further condemns this former middle class community to perpetual mediocrity.
Old 03-22-18, 06:59 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Yeah, I've had that debate with friends of the free-market-fixes-everything persuasion. They don't seem to grasp the differences between infrastructure and non-necessary consumer goods.

Slowpoke internet and unaffordable voice service is a pox. I discontinued our voice landline because it was overpriced, underperforming and no longer needed here.

The best AT&T can offer is 10 Mbps downstream/2 Mbps up, but at $30 it's the cheapest game in town. No bundling required, 1 TB per month limit, which I've never come anywhere close to on my busiest month with 6 down/0.6 up. Probably the most I've done is 100 GB when I was archiving photos to cloud storage. Usually it's 30-60 GB a month.

But it's still inadequate for business ventures that depend on uploading a lot of data routinely. Pretty much rules out any independent media services. Which further condemns this former middle class community to perpetual mediocrity.
And here we have to end our discussion, even though we see eye-to-eye about investment in society, since that is apparently a political topic.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 03-22-18, 01:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Incidentally, for folks with seriously slow internet -- not 50 Mbps, which to me ain't slow, but 6 Mbps downstream/0.6 upstream -- check out Puffin browser for Windows. It was released in fall/winter 2017 and is still in beta form but looks promising.

I've been using it this week on my 2012 era low end Lenovo laptop with AMD E-450 dual core 1.65 GHz processor (hybrid CPU/APU, not bad for a low end laptop) and 4 GB RAM. It's usually a slug with Chrome and Firefox configured the way I like, and practically unusuable on resource hogs like Facebook. On bike forums I need to block ads or pages will never finish loading. But Puffin browser is so fast I can let ads run. That's good for the site. If you've compared the experience of browsing Facebook via a mobile app with a browser on a low end PC, you know what I mean.

Puffin for Windows is still a bit glitchy in beta form:
  • It's picky about my usual tricks for highlighting and copying, cutting, pasting.
  • Occasionally some images -- a few photos, gifs, etc. -- don't load on some pages although refreshing the page often loads everything.
  • The cursor, home and end keys don't work as I'm accustomed to and I need to backtrack more often with the cursor key when it jumps to the next line rather than the end of a line.
  • Cursor movement via the keypad and scrolling feel herky-jerky.
  • Sometimes I'll see formatting codes rather than the formatted version of quotes and URLs. Sometimes refreshing the page clears up that glitch.
  • Overall the browser still feels a bit raw, but it is in beta form. Still, it's so much faster I'll use it.

No idea about user configuration. So far I'm using it as-is, without trying any custom tricks. No idea whether any extensions are available. Over time I had so many extensions, add-ons and doodads with Chrome and Firefox those browsers became useless.

But I'm more concerned about peformance than privacy on the laptop. If I'm concerned about privacy and security I'll use the much faster desktop.
Old 03-22-18, 02:26 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 7169 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 450 Posts
Pretend it's fast dial up, its probably faster than that.
Old 03-22-18, 05:25 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Yeah, we were on dialup for years in my former rural home, long after most folks had DSL. Back then our current DSL service seemed fast.

But times and needs change. I'm looking for work from home. Media related jobs demand true broadband, especially for uploads. My current 0.6 Mbps upstream flow takes months, literally months, to back up my camera raw files to cloud storage. I had it running on autopilot at low priority in daytime and higher priority overnight. It took a year to back up approx. 1 TB. That's unacceptable by current standards.

I don't even bother with my YouTube channels anymore because it takes too long to upload. And YouTube doesn't offer any effective way to prioritize data flow, so once I hit the upload button it completely overwhelms the connection and nothing else can be done for hours.

I'm trying my current mobile data plan, which supposedly offers unlimited high speed data. In reality they throttle any attempts to upload more than the equivalent to one JPEG photo at a time. Whenever I've attempted to upload a 3-5 minute video, the throughput chokes down from 10 Mbps or faster, down to 1 Mbps or slower.

So I'm stuck with whatever AT&T offers, at least as long as I'm in this community.
Old 03-22-18, 05:42 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Is there anything better at your local library?

Old 03-23-18, 01:08 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 691 Times in 425 Posts
Just 17 miles North of me is the city of Longmont.
The city its self rolled out symmetrical gigabit internet service fiber optic service.
Scroll down this page for the rates: https://www.longmontcolorado.gov/dep...ices-gig-promo
Old 03-24-18, 09:22 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 103 Posts
This may or may not help.
#KFCforsupper
Likes For skijor:
Old 03-24-18, 10:10 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by skijor View Post
This may or may not help.
#KFCforsupper
Probably works about as well as mindfulness, essential oils and rebooting.
Old 04-30-20, 08:45 AM
dalebreton

Bikes: Kona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe the problem is in your provider?
Old 04-30-20, 09:13 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Change your password and padlock it. How many devices are on it?
Old 04-30-20, 09:34 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 103 Posts
Dear 2018 Me,
Shift your entire investment portfolio to uber conservative by the end of 2019. And TP, invest heavily in paper companies. And beans. And 3M. And ammo manufacturers.
#thankmelater #dontpanic

And close this old thread. Windy hasn't been seen for quite a while now. I hope he's doing well.
Likes For skijor:
Old 04-30-20, 01:29 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 8469 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by windhchaser View Post
I'm using my android phone and tablets the tablets are faster like 130 but the tablets are 5ghz the phone is 2.4 ghz and like 40 mb now. I tried switching routers no luck.
You are talking operating frequencies... like "TV channels," not the actual thru-put. Granted, a higher frequency should give more bandwidth, but may not, due to the plan and ISP you are using.

Oddly, the other thing that matters is how close you are to monitors... digital monitors put out "switching noise" that can make some wifi and cell signals less effective. This happens more with cell phones than anything else... Monitors can look like jammers to those things.
Old 04-30-20, 01:52 PM
ahsposo 
Turgid Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 4315 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 621 Posts
I about had a heart attack when I saw windy's username again. Just what we need - windy and old what's his name in Texas post 50 new threads a day. Might as well bring Couch back...
Old 04-30-20, 02:01 PM
cb400bill
Inoxidable Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1, Schwinn Voyageur, Cannondale Synapse, Raleigh C50, Trek 710, Raleigh Granada, Legnano Pista, Viscount Aerospace Pro

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 715 Posts
Old thread. Closed thread.