Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

JB Weld users -- cookware?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 05-06-20, 04:07 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: CURRENT: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '74 Campania Professional, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '91 Univega Alpina Comp PAST: '72 Puch Bergmeister, '72ish Peugeot UO-8, '86 Univega Gran Premio, '85 Univega Viva Touring

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 181 Posts

I know a lot of people on the forums use JB Weld for a host of bike stuff, but has anyone used it to affix a saucepan handle, or some other cookware?

My wife has some vintage Eckoware pieces that came from her grandma in Chicago, and the handle just popped off the small saucepan today. It was apparently bonded together, metal to metal, with something that lasted decades, but simply wore away. It's still a very useful piece, and I'm sure we'll be keeping it one way or another due to the sentimental value, so I'd love to keep it in service.

It looks like the standard JB Weld product is rated for 550 degrees, which seems like it would provide a safe threshold. Thoughts?
Old 05-06-20, 04:44 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 37 Posts
I would start the hunt for a spot weld service. It should be quite reasonable and quick. Have the item with you when you ask.
Likes For Olefeller77:
Old 05-06-20, 06:04 AM
ups

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
If the welding thing doesn't work I'd give JB a shot.
Old 05-06-20, 06:10 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 468 Posts
I would prefer some kind of mechanical bond, I'm in my 50's, and every single time I can remember gluing something, it failed. Usually sooner rather than later. That episode of Gilligan's Island where Gilligan invents the "miracle glue" to fix the SS Minnow always comes to mind.

Maybe the handle could be brazed on. Photos?

JB Weld, IMO, is more useful as of a filler than a glue. FWIW.
Old 05-06-20, 06:26 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 717 Times in 522 Posts
#1. I've tried JB Weld in high heat applications. It always turns darker colored and cracks.

#2. If the pot handle is far enough removed from the heat of the stove, it may work . . . until

#3. JB Weld and other epoxies don't carry a whole lot of weight by themselves. If that saucepan and it's contents are somewhat heavy, the JB Weld at the handle may let go at anytime while lifting or moving the saucepan.

Old 05-06-20, 07:40 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 92 Posts
I would check the listing on this one to see what is in it, certainly not food safe.
When I worked in the fish tank industry there was a type of epoxy we used very similar to JB Weld that was food safe, no emissions. My concern with it would be heat.

If this is an iron or 'real' steel pot the welding should do nicely. If it is actually 'pot metal' it won't take a weld.
Have you performed a search specific to the brand to see if it's a common occurrence and some true fix already in the wild?
Old 05-06-20, 09:53 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 8454 Post(s)
Liked 904 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf View Post
I know a lot of people on the forums use JB Weld for a host of bike stuff, but has anyone used it to affix a saucepan handle, or some other cookware?

My wife has some vintage Eckoware pieces that came from her grandma in Chicago, and the handle just popped off the small saucepan today. It was apparently bonded together, metal to metal, with something that lasted decades, but simply wore away. It's still a very useful piece, and I'm sure we'll be keeping it one way or another due to the sentimental value, so I'd love to keep it in service.

It looks like the standard JB Weld product is rated for 550 degrees, which seems like it would provide a safe threshold. Thoughts?
Look, at a certain point, it is useless to "restore" something like this to daily use... if you like the pot, for looks... glue the handle back on, and set it aside to hold kitchen utensils etc.

Then get a nice new pot, with riveted handles, for daily use. You would not want "grandma's repaired pot" to fail just as you move a full pot of hot liquid off the stove.
Old 05-06-20, 10:21 AM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 107 Posts
Something like what genec says above. I'd get it welded or riveted back on IF it was cost effective, but I would not use JB Weld or other adhesives unless it was to be retired to decorative status.
Old 05-06-20, 10:29 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

"Pay" somebody else to fix something? My dad's Great Depression generation totally rejected that idea. Though he must've broke at least half the things he tried to fix.

There's a certain advantage to fixing stuff yourself though, it doesn't cost anything (usually). And it can feel pretty empowering.
Old 05-06-20, 11:13 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: CURRENT: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '74 Campania Professional, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '91 Univega Alpina Comp PAST: '72 Puch Bergmeister, '72ish Peugeot UO-8, '86 Univega Gran Premio, '85 Univega Viva Touring

I knew I would get informed opinions steering me toward common sense. I will try to get a couple of estimates for a real weld, and if not, we’ll relegate this to decorative status. We were lucky in exactly the way suggested above — the handle popped off as I was removing the pot from the cabinet, but it easily could have happened with boiling water.

EDIT: Now that I examine these close-ups, I see four rivets. Is it possible those sheared? That makes it seem even less repairable than before.

Last edited by noobinsf; 05-06-20 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-06-20, 11:26 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 11320 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 677 Posts
That looks like what you thought was glue is simply goo and corrosion that built up over time in a place that was difficult to clean.

Are you clearly seeing rivits on the inside and outside? That might have been done on aluminum cookware, but less frequently on steel.

It could also have been spot welds. Which, as mentioned, would be an easy enough repair with the right equipment. Just clean it up and spot weld again.

-----------------------

Edit: That pan is not one that I would glue unless being used only as a display piece. IT WILL FAIL, SPILLING BOILING HOT WATER/FOOD ALL OVER THE PLACE.
Old 05-06-20, 11:50 AM
genec
genec

Seriously... do a web search for stainless steel copper clad and buy a new one... but if you love the old one... (part of a set) they are available on ebay.

But frankly... I would get a modern riveted pan... not spot welded.

And I honestly would not bother with what you have. "It's dead, Jim!"
Old 05-06-20, 12:00 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 4125 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 418 Posts
You can keep using it with a pot grabber/lifter.

They are typically targeted toward camping or backpacking so you can get a ultra low weight titanium one. There are many options available.

Titanium $25:

or Aluminium $3.50:

Likes For noisebeam:
Old 05-06-20, 12:02 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? Ekco is still in business. And although they [no doubt] no longer make this pot, they may have some suggestions. You can't be the only customer who is attached to one of their old products which has worn out in some way.
Old 05-06-20, 12:08 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Admit it though, that handle would look awesome, attached with perfect TIG welds on all 4 sides.

Sorry.
Old 05-06-20, 12:13 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by genec View Post
And I honestly would not bother with what you have. "It's dead, Jim!"
Food dish for your pet?
Originally Posted by skijor View Post
Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? Ekco is still in business.
Find out if it has a lifetime warranty? Although, they may argue that if Grams kicked the bucket, the pan is no longer covered.

I can't say for that exact model, but there are some excellent pots that show up at thrift stores for a song.
Old 05-06-20, 12:22 PM
noobinsf 

Follow up question: does this look like the same type of failure is likely on the two other saucepans from this set that we have? Did these just snap?

Old 05-06-20, 12:25 PM
noobinsf 

Yeah, we don’t really need these pots - my wife has no trouble finding deals at TJ Maxx, which regularly gets All Clad and Le Creuset stuff. She just likes using Grandma’s pots when possible. We cook a lot, so we try to have good equipment.
Old 05-06-20, 12:59 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

yes the others could fail in similar way.
Old 05-06-20, 01:04 PM
CliffordK

My guess is that handle has been loose for a good long time. It looks like the lower two spot welds had broken loose potentially years ago, and it just took time for the rest of the welds to break loose.

You might check your grandfather's head for a few lumps. It looks to me like the metal in the side of the pan has deformed as if that pan was hanled roughly a bit.

As far as your other pans, check the handles are tight. Perhaps try to squeeze a knife blade under each corner of the handle without damaging or prying. And, feel/inspect the inside of the pan near the handle attachment for deformation.

If the handle is tight, with no signs of damage, it could give way any time, but that could be years, or decades in the future. I'd use the others without a second thought. Of course, handle hot stuff with care.
Old 05-06-20, 01:09 PM
genec
genec

If you really love your wife, buy a new set... but not for a birthday or Christmas gift... (I once gave my wife a vacuum cleaner... good thing she had a sense of humor).

Get a good set with well riveted handles... you'll both enjoy the results.

Grandma's gone now... time to let go of the ancient cookware.
Old 05-06-20, 01:13 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

My wife asked for a mop and bucket for Christmas. I couldn't and didn't. Now I get reminded all the time that it is now my job.

One of my hesitations was I recall, I think in Foo, there was a recommendation for a really good and low cost industrial mop set, better than the crap on AMZ. But I couldn't find it.
Old 05-06-20, 02:00 PM
genec
genec

I once got her a can opener... not just one, but 4... at Christmas... She asked for one.

Started with a real cheap hard to use can opener in her "stocking." Bit of a frown.
Then as the gifts went on, another appeared... bit better, but still something of a clunky manual model. Got a wry grin.
Then another... nice heavy duty manual seam splitter... Got an "OK."
Then last, a nice little electric job. She laughed at the whole gag.

Then... one more gift. A can! WTF??? Inside was a nice silver charm bracelet that I had canned at a gift shop.
Likes For genec:
Old 05-06-20, 02:46 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 717 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
You would not want "grandma's repaired pot" to fail just as you move a full pot of hot liquid off the stove.
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post

Edit: That pan is not one that I would glue unless being used only as a display piece. IT WILL FAIL, SPILLING BOILING HOT WATER/FOOD ALL OVER THE PLACE.
Agree. That sauce pan should be trashed, recycled, or retired forever.

I know a person that had a sauce pan full of boiling water fall onto her and it soaked one of her shoes with that boiling water. She went to the emergency room for initial treatment the night hurricane Harvey rolled through town. After several weeks had passed, she went to another hospital for a skin graft on her foot.