Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to add front disc brake (possibly a rear disc brake) to a single speed

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Is it possible to add front disc brake (possibly a rear disc brake) to a single speed

Old 03-14-20, 05:16 PM
adamrice
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
It would require a huge amount of work to add rear disk brakes to a bike that wasn't built for them. It would require even more work with a single-speed. Consider this: with most single speeds, you adjust the chain tension by moving the wheel back and forth in the dropout. If you had a disk caliper mounted to the frame, the disk would move relative to the caliper, and that would be Bad. There are single-speed disk-brake bikes, but these have special dropouts where the whole dropout moves to tension the chain, and the disk caliper is bolted to the dropout. Adapting a frame to do this would almost certainly cost more than the frame is worth.
Likes For adamrice:
Old 03-14-20, 06:37 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Adis View Post
It a blue + orange+ white. Also I'm 15 years old. I ride this bike to school everyday, so yeah.
In the meantime, give brand, model, and wheel size.
Likes For WizardOfBoz: