Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Any major moving company recommendations or tips for long distance move?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 05-19-20, 09:53 AM
EJ123
djentleman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Will be moving ~ 8 hours away and ultimately decided on just hiring movers instead of the uhaul route. Apparently there are those major companies like atlas, united, and others like 2 men and a truck. Some companies can do direct and others can be offered as a flex or value package which may take a few days. Any thoughts on what to look out for when hiring movers as far as cost, timeline, having people come to your place first to estimate, etc. I think some companies do a flat fee and others are estimations until time to pay. Hoping to spend under 2 grand.
Old 05-19-20, 10:05 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 8489 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 641 Posts
Yeah, don't let them move your bikes... they tend to be a bit rough on metal objects... which is how the see bikes... "metal things."

We ended up with some paint scratches, a broken mike stand, broken brake lever, and a broken plant stand. All metal.

Sure, you can make claims... but if you consider it "special" it won't be replaced. (The plant stand was an antique cast metal... in their eyes, "old," in the wife's eyes, "special")
Old 05-19-20, 10:08 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 643 Posts
Chech and Chong Moving Company . I’m not sure I’ve always rented a Penske truck and bribed friends with beer and bar b q. But this wasn’t a 2,000 mile move. Though it felt like it getting away from annoying relatives and nutty neighbors.
Old 05-19-20, 10:38 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 207 Posts
Background: I work in the aviation industry, known far and wide for stupid business decisions that often lead to layoffs.

Just since 2011, I have moved from Wichita, KS to Seattle, WA to Medford OR, to Tucson AZ, to Layton UT.

RJ Burton Moving services moved us from Wichita to Seattle, when Boeing was paying for the move. When I moved (layoffs...) from Seattle to Medford, I used them again, when it was my choice (the new company only gave a fixed amount for moving, but I got to choose the movers). I also used them from Medford to Tucson, when I was paying for it myself.

While they aren't quite the cheapest, they are definitely competitively priced, and I had great experience with their customer service. They didn't ask any questions about the couple of items that got damaged, and promptly either replaced them, or wrote a check for the cash value.

They are nationwide. If you want some direct contact details, PM me.
Old 05-19-20, 11:07 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 103 Posts
I moved from WI to SC in 2011. My new employer ponied up for the move costs. Allied Van Lines moved my stuff. I transported my bikes, dogs, and a few other high value (to me) items. Allied smooshed my dryer, but it still worked. I did get some $ back for that. Would I use them again? Maybe, but I'd do as others have alluded to. Transport "precious" items yourself if possible.
When I moved back to WI a year later I rented a Penske truck + trailer for my car. It was a shatload of work, but I spent ~1/3 as compared to Allied or similar.
Old 05-19-20, 11:44 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Yeah, don't let them move your bikes... they tend to be a bit rough on metal objects... which is how the see bikes... "metal things."

We ended up with some paint scratches, a broken mike stand, broken brake lever, and a broken plant stand. All metal.

Sure, you can make claims... but if you consider it "special" it won't be replaced. (The plant stand was an antique cast metal... in their eyes, "old," in the wife's eyes, "special")

​​​​​​​You have a mike stand on your bike? Was that you on the tricycle?

Old 05-19-20, 11:47 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 94 Posts
Under two grand and 8 hours away isn't even going to get the two men and a truck unless you own nearly nothing. I might suggest you revisit the Ryder truck and consider pickup some labor from the Home Depot. Early times are best.

I actually used that group to move across town a several years back. It was pretty close to, but over 2K as I recall. We had some really big furniture that there was no way in hell I was getting down the steps. All in all the did a good job. There was not enough damaged to file a claim, and I think this is fairly routine in a move done by anyone. Things are going to get banged up. The only aspect that upset me was, and it took me about a year to find, that they took a brown marker and covered up some fairly significant damage to a few pieces of furniture. With all that was going on it was easily missed and didn't show till the marker faded.

Last edited by Juan Foote; 05-19-20 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-19-20, 11:49 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 8489 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 641 Posts
Originally Posted by chewybrian View Post
You have a mike stand on your bike? Was that you on the tricycle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bWVBuxvpHg
No, just saying, they treated the bikes like all the other "metal things..." or like the typical BSO in the back of most garages. That was a mistake on my part... Remember, to about 98% of Americans, bikes are toys. To us few, they are precious objects.

Of course the killer answer to your question is... What, you DON'T have a mike stand on your bike!
Old 05-19-20, 01:44 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
No, just saying, they treated the bikes like all the other "metal things..." or like the typical BSO in the back of most garages. That was a mistake on my part... Remember, to about 98% of Americans, bikes are toys. To us few, they are precious objects.

Of course the killer answer to your question is... What, you DON'T have a mike stand on your bike!
Well, I have two turntables, but there's no room left.
Old 05-19-20, 02:36 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1209 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 167 Posts
I used 2 men and a truck for a local business move and they were ok. Afterwards someone told me they mainly hire ex cons. I don't know if that's true or not, but it may matter to you if they do long distance moving.
Old 05-19-20, 08:59 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 213 Posts
Be very careful and read the terms of the "flex" package type of move. Basically, what they do is wait until they get enough to go in that direction and then they go. Make sure they have a delivery by date included or you might not see your stuff for a month.
Likes For TakingMyTime: