Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Copenhagen- Where Cycling Is Normal

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-10, 10:52 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoQmAxT7OK0&NR=1

I wonder what the Copenhageners and the other more progressive Europeans think of North Americans with our crazy anti-bicycle and other alternative vehicles lifestyle?
Old 12-20-10, 06:31 AM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am sure they do not bother thinking about what we or others are doing.
Old 12-20-10, 11:05 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Close one at 2:33...
Old 12-20-10, 02:21 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Pedaleur
Close one at 2:33...
Not really. If you notice the motorists are waiting for the cyclists. It's all about attitude.
Old 12-20-10, 06:39 PM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Caretaker
Not really. If you notice the motorists are waiting for the cyclists. It's all about attitude.
While generally the case, she wouldn't have had to swerve several feet out of the bike lane if the driver of the Mercedes had not expected her to turn right.

Had she not been paying attention (like many, many Danes), she'd have gotten smacked.
Old 12-21-10, 04:54 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

While generally the case, she wouldn't have had to swerve several feet out of the bike lane if the driver of the Mercedes had not expected her to turn right.

Had she not been paying attention (like many, many Danes), she'd have gotten smacked.
The driver of the Mercedes obviously expected her to turn right. She in fact didn't turn right but went straight ahead. The Mercedes turned right.

The driver was going so slow and with such care that she was well able to miss by a good four foot.

At 2.45 you can see a green truck giving way to a cyclist who also is going straight ahead and has 'right of way' just like the first cyclist has.
Old 12-21-10, 06:26 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Notice how un-stressed everybody looks.

Notice how un-fat everybody looks.
Old 12-21-10, 07:42 AM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Caretaker
An attitude that is enforced by law. In a car-bike or car-ped collision in Copenhagen, the burden of guilt rests upon the car as it the most dangerous user of the road. Imagine how much more attention American motorists would pay to other road users if they were actually held accountable when they run someone over.

It's been said before, but if you want to murder someone in America, run them over with your car. If you're sober, the worst you'll get is a monetary fine.
Old 12-21-10, 09:00 AM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travelmama
I am sure they do not bother thinking about what we or others are doing.

+1 I know they don't!
Old 12-21-10, 09:30 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I was wondering what those cyclist with those huge bags that were the size of a suitcase carrying? They also had one attached to the rear!
Old 12-22-10, 02:01 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
They still have a ways to go. Even in this video, which no doubt tries to show times/places with the best bike/car ratio, there are still an awful lot of cars. Also, why do the cars get three to four times as much road space as the bikes? I look forward to that ratio being reversed both in the U.S. and in the civilized countries.
Old 12-22-10, 02:35 AM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
They still have a ways to go. Even in this video, which no doubt tries to show times/places with the best bike/car ratio, there are still an awful lot of cars.
Copenhageners take more trips than by bike than by car, with a 36% modal share for cycling compared to 26% for cars. That's only one out of every four trips taken by car, so I'd say that they're doing pretty good.

Also, why do the cars get three to four times as much road space as the bikes? I look forward to that ratio being reversed both in the U.S. and in the civilized countries.
Um, because cars take up three to four times as much space as bikes? Bikes don't need a lot of space. Besides, according to this modal census, of the four cities with equal or lower modal shares for cars as Copenhagen (Bern, Bratislava, Warsaw, and Zurich), none have a cycling modal share higher than 11%. What they have instead is a high modal share for public transport, so if American cities wish to reduce the number of cars on the road maybe they should be improving bus and light rail service and infrastructure, instead of building bike boulevards.
Old 12-22-10, 04:39 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GriddleCakes
Copenhageners take more trips than by bike than by car, with a 36% modal share for cycling compared to 26% for cars. That's only one out of every four trips taken by car, so I'd say that they're doing pretty good.

Um, because cars take up three to four times as much space as bikes? Bikes don't need a lot of space. Besides, according to this modal census, of the four cities with equal or lower modal shares for cars as Copenhagen (Bern, Bratislava, Warsaw, and Zurich), none have a cycling modal share higher than 11%. What they have instead is a high modal share for public transport, so if American cities wish to reduce the number of cars on the road maybe they should be improving bus and light rail service and infrastructure, instead of building bike boulevards.
Ratio is a lot higher than that, I recall having seen a number more like 10 times. As in the space required for cars requires a 10 fold increase in the space required for bicycles. Think parking lots, interstate on and off ramps, turn lanes, etc.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 12-22-10, 08:12 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
I was wondering what those cyclist with those huge bags that were the size of a suitcase carrying? They also had one attached to the rear!
The three or four at the beginning are Post Danmark carriers.

Last edited by Pedaleur; 12-22-10 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-22-10, 09:26 AM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I would love to see cycling become that popular in the US I have to say that in a way it wouldn't be as fun. I mean, who wants to get stuck in bike traffic? Go the speed of everyone else? It seems like you would get stressed from the bike traffic, almost the same as trying to drive in rush hour over here.

I remember reading an interview with a dutch woman who spent some time in SF and she said that she almost preferred riding over here because there weren't as many restrictions to the way she rode. Makes sense to me.
Old 12-22-10, 10:18 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zoltani
While I would love to see cycling become that popular in the US I have to say that in a way it wouldn't be as fun. I mean, who wants to get stuck in bike traffic? Go the speed of everyone else? It seems like you would get stressed from the bike traffic, almost the same as trying to drive in rush hour over here.

I remember reading an interview with a dutch woman who spent some time in SF and she said that she almost preferred riding over here because there weren't as many restrictions to the way she rode. Makes sense to me.
This is both true and false. Most of the time, bike traffic is no big deal and you can go as fast as reasonable given the stop lights, etc. Of course, this doesn't make the greatest video.

But it's funny to see how people act the same regardless of whether they're driving or cycling. People budging up to the front of the line. Last minute cut-ins from the right turn lane. People riding aggressively, ignoring your right-of-way because they know you'll stop. Of course, there are a few laws that act against you (pedestrian left, for example).

Overall, though, I'd prefer the Danish model, the lousy driver in the white Mercedes excepted.
Old 12-22-10, 11:21 PM
Wake
Sputnik - beep beep beep

Bikes: '12 Jamis Coda Elite '09 Jamis Sputnik, '07 Jamis Eclipse, '13 Brompton M6R.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
... how people act the same regardless of whether they're driving or cycling...
A big difference: when you have a bike wreck the worst that might happen is you break a collarbone.
Old 12-23-10, 08:14 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wake
A big difference: when you have a bike wreck the worst that might happen is you break a collarbone.
I'm struggling to figure out how that is relevant.
Old 12-23-10, 09:09 PM
Wake
Sputnik - beep beep beep

Bikes: '12 Jamis Coda Elite '09 Jamis Sputnik, '07 Jamis Eclipse, '13 Brompton M6R.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd much rather be right-hooked by a cyclist than a bus. So the comment that people still act badly when riding a bike is much less weighty in the cycling realm.
Old 01-06-11, 10:43 AM
GamleOle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Standard evasive sverwe from average commuter. (I ride the filmed streets Daily.) And Caretaker is rigth, the mercedes driver is carefull.