Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 01-22-19, 01:42 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 72 Schwinn World Voyageur, 78 Schwinn World(upright town bike), 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 88 Centurion Ironman Expert,92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6013 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 291 Posts
Thighs from the gods.

Such a way with words.
Old 01-22-19, 07:47 PM
Ex Pres 

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Looked for example pics but haven't found. Anyone have a good rec for bar tape matching the MV magenta?

72 Frejus, Holdsworth Record & special CNC / 74 Italvega NR / c80 ?French? / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII / 83 Trek 620 / 87 Centurion IM MV / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 01-22-19, 08:22 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres View Post
Looked for example pics but haven't found. Anyone have a good rec for bar tape matching the MV magenta?
I'll look.
Easier to match the sunflower/marigold of the ST and HT. Jagwire makes a housing, and several saddles are out there.

I have unfinished business.

Old 01-22-19, 08:33 PM
Ex Pres 

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
I'll look.
Easier to match the sunflower/marigold of the ST and HT. Jagwire makes a housing, and several saddles are out there.
i know, and it looks good, but it's been done

i have yellow brake housing and thin yellow line tires installed. Those were in the bin. But since I have to buy tape, figured I'd be different.
Old 01-22-19, 08:52 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 282 Posts
I've had some form of black, white, magenta or yellow on mine. I like the black best. I did not like the white hoods at all.
Old 01-22-19, 10:05 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 81 Medici, 84 Centurion Turbo, 2011 Richard Sachs, '90 Alpina Team, 85 TREK 620, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 157 Posts
IM done messing with white hoods.
Until i am not.
Old 01-23-19, 10:11 AM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

i know, and it looks good, but it's been done

i have yellow brake housing and thin yellow line tires installed. Those were in the bin. But since I have to buy tape, figured I'd be different.
then I will take it upon myself to search. !!!

Old 01-23-19, 10:54 AM
Ex Pres 

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
then I will take it upon myself to search. !!!

There are a few options that I looked at on ebay last night from fuchsia to magenta to violet to purple. Screen colors are so variable, though, as well as the cameras the seller used.
On my ipad, pictures of the MV always have a more purple tint than my bike looks to my naked eye. So holding up my screen next to the frame tubes - the Deda fuchsia looked closest. But if I put a bartape picture side by side with an MV picture, I lean to one of the more purple hues.
That's why I was looking for real experience. I haven't checked to see if any of the LBSs have close options in stock.
Old 01-23-19, 12:09 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 202 Posts
I bought a couple MVs with yellow and also magenta wrap and both matched well. I think the magenta was fizik but I'm not a 100% sure. But there is a match out there.
Old 01-23-19, 03:38 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

That's why I was looking for real experience. I haven't checked to see if any of the LBSs have close options in stock.
That's a good one. I may have seen that color on one, once.

Old 01-23-19, 03:39 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Originally Posted by Classtime View Post
IM done messing with white hoods.
Until i am not.
CentURion. Maybe you are.

Old 01-23-19, 05:21 PM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 38 Posts
https://cleveland.craigslist.org/bik...796874099.html for sale in Cleveland. Not mine, thought it looked in great shape.
Old 01-23-19, 05:39 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman , 84' Bianchi Alloro

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 67 Posts
mswesti says I'm paranoid , sometimes I get this feeling I'm being stared at .

IMG_0193 by mark westi, on Flickr
Old 01-23-19, 07:53 PM
texaspandj

Bahaha... they're taking over.
Old 01-23-19, 10:03 PM
stilllearning

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Should I Leave It Alone?

First time posting a picture, so hopefully it shows.
I
I bought this all original 85/86 Ironman with Shimano 600 last April. I swapped out the handlebars and stem because of my long arms and lowered the gearing due to my affinity for hills. It is serving it's purpose well in helping me get a good workout, but I made the mistake of browsing through this thread and am now suffering from Ironman envy. As a result, I am wondering if there is something else I can do that would keep the low gearing and improve the looks.

It now has a 7 speed Shimano 14-28 freewheel and a Claris 50/34. I couldn't find any other compacts that would work with a 7 speed, but I'm not thrilled with how the Claris looks, which is prompting this post.

Is there a better looking compact crank that would work?
Do you think a triple would look better? (I have a Suntour V-GT Lux long cage derailleur)
What triple could I use without having to cold set the frame?
Or, should I just be happy with what I have as the Claris is an okay crank and doesn't look that bad?

Any suggestions will be appreciated! I wasn't sure if I should have posted this on the other Ironman thread, but since this is primarily about looks, I figured it would fit here.
These pictures have given me some great ideas for the bars, seat, etc. The color of the bike is not as catchy as others, but it is a solid bike and I like how it rides.

Brian
Old 01-24-19, 07:09 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by stilllearning View Post
I bought this all original 85/86 Ironman with Shimano 600 last April. I swapped out the handlebars and stem because of my long arms and lowered the gearing due to my affinity for hills. It is serving it's purpose well in helping me get a good workout, but I made the mistake of browsing through this thread and am now suffering from Ironman envy. As a result, I am wondering if there is something else I can do that would keep the low gearing and improve the looks.

It now has a 7 speed Shimano 14-28 freewheel and a Claris 50/34. I couldn't find any other compacts that would work with a 7 speed, but I'm not thrilled with how the Claris looks, which is prompting this post.

Do you think a triple would look better? (I have a Suntour V-GT Lux long cage derailleur)
Or, should I just be happy with what I have as the Claris is an okay crank and doesn't look that bad?

Any suggestions will be appreciated! I wasn't sure if I should have posted this on the other Ironman thread, but since this is primarily about looks, I figured it would fit here.
These pictures have given me some great ideas for the bars, seat, etc. The color of the bike is not as catchy as others, but it is a solid bike and I like how it rides.

Brian
Looks good. Fits good. Rides good. Shifts good. What's not to like?
If you want something flashier, you could always look for one of the shouty ones. As for this one, ride it til the wheels fall off!
Old 01-24-19, 07:36 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Bikes: Lots. Just...lots.

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 191 Posts
I am wondering if there is something else I can do that would keep the low gearing and improve the looks. It now has a 7 speed Shimano 14-28 freewheel and a Claris 50/34. I couldn't find any other compacts that would work with a 7 speed, but I'm not thrilled with how the Claris looks, which is prompting this post.

Is there a better looking compact crank that would work? Yes. Look for a Shimano Deore/MT/6206 triple crankset that's 110BCD, strip and polish it, and get a 110BCD 50/34 ring set for it. Much nicer looking, likely will use the original BB, and can be used as a triple (with a longer BB spindle) if you go mountain climbing.
Do you think a triple would look better? (I have a Suntour V-GT Lux long cage derailleur) Not to my eyes, but beauty is in the eye...
What triple could I use without having to cold set the frame? Any. No need to cold set the frame unless you are going larger than a 130 OLD rear hub.
Or, should I just be happy with what I have as the Claris is an okay crank and doesn't look that bad? It's an OK crank, but (to my eye) not attractive.

Any suggestions will be appreciated! While you're at it, you might consider going 9 or 10 speed, A 130 OLD rear wheel will budge in there just fine without cold setting, and 9/10 speed shifters will bolt right on in place of the 6 speed ones. The RD and FD will happily play with 10 speeds, as will the crankset (actually the crank will play nicely with anything from 6-10 speeds). The result is a bike that will easily keep up with most riders on most modern bikes:

I wasn't sure if I should have posted this on the other Ironman thread, but since this is primarily about looks, I figured it would fit here.
These pictures have given me some great ideas for the bars, seat, etc. The color of the bike is not as catchy as others, but it is a solid bike and I like how it rides. Actually, having owned, restored and ridden over a dozen Ironman bikes, that is my favorite year and color combo.
Here's my current one (the one above was a 56, better size for me is the 58). Saddle's been swapped recently, but otherwise:
Old 01-24-19, 08:16 AM
texaspandj

I

Brian
Pretty limitless on how and what you want to build. The cool thing is you have agreat starting point in the '86 Ironman.
Your Ironman looks good however for me i think (although there are exceptions) generally if you have a black crakset the deraileurs, seatpost, stem should match. But then again "Looks Smooks" performance is where its at.
I heed the advice of the good Doc and look at back pages for inspiration. Personally i have yet to go the compact route as my surrounding terrain doesnt warrant it but it could happen and when it does ill make sure it matches the previous one but then again Looks Smooks.
Old 01-24-19, 10:53 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 3551 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 701 Posts
I

Brian
Looks fine to me, but I'm more concerned with function than looks. Heck, my blue/white Ironman has a bright orange seat bag because it was on sale for $7. And it sorta goes with the orange logo colors. Sorta.

I switched my Ironman from the original 52/42 chainrings to 50/39 Vuelta SE Plus; and freewheel from the original Suntour 13-24 to a SunRace 13-25. Easier on hills, but I'm spun out on my favorite fast downhill runs. Not a big deal, for now I'm recovering from injuries and illness so my main focus is improving hill climbs, not my top speed. Your 50/34 and 14-28 seems fine if it suits your terrain and fitness.

What handlebar is that? I like that bend and shorter drop length. That's one of the few remaining tweaks I'd like for my Ironman -- a handlebar with a flatter and shorter reach to the hoods, and shorter drop reach.

And what brake levers/hoods? Those look more comfy than the originals.
Old 01-24-19, 11:38 AM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Brian
I think it looks great, and a compact with a 28t tall gear works in a lot of places. That color scheme is a very nice bridge between the classy elegance of the early models to the "I'm here to party" brashness of the later 80's.

Super glad you're here, on the forum, and riding an Ironman. Only a few chosen people on this planet will be so lucky, and "know the deal."

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 01-25-19 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-24-19, 12:06 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman , 84' Bianchi Alloro

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 67 Posts
Hey Brian , welcome to the party . I think your bike looks real good , black / black / black / black . Sometimes I like the tan walls but in your case black works so much better .
Old 01-24-19, 11:41 PM
stilllearning

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Here's my current one (the one above was a 56, better size for me is the 58). Saddle's been swapped recently, but otherwise:
Thank you everyone for the feedback and ideas! I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.
rccardr - I figured I had to have the frame cold set to get the 9 or 10 speeds, thanks for letting me know a 130 old rear hub would work. I like your wheel setup, on the two bikes. What are they?

canklecat - The handlebars are Dajia Cycleworks and the brake levers are Origin8 since the originals didn't fit well on the new bars.
Old 01-25-19, 01:51 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 3551 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 701 Posts
canklecat - The handlebars are Dajia Cycleworks and the brake levers are Origin8 since the originals didn't fit well on the new bars.
Ah, good to know. Both of those were already on my wish list. Now that I can see 'em on a bike, those bars and brakes are moving up from maybe to definitely someday soon.
Old 01-25-19, 07:04 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Bikes: Lots. Just...lots.

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 191 Posts
rccardr - I figured I had to have the frame cold set to get the 9 or 10 speeds, thanks for letting me know a 130 old rear hub would work. I like your wheel setup, on the two bikes. What are they?
The 56 has Alex rims laced to Shimano 5600 hubs; the 58 has the original Araya anodized rims laced to 6208 hubs.

Recently finished a handbuilt set of Mavic Open Pro Elite rims laced to Shimano 5600 hubs with Sapim DB stainless spokes.
And ordered an 11-34 cassette.
And a vintage Deore 650 RD.
Anyone else see where this is going, as SOTR approaches?
Old 01-25-19, 07:44 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
If the IM's had came in a blueish/silver combo, like rccardr's 56 appeared to me, that would be my favorite color combo. Please post another pic of the 56. However, knowing it is grey/silver/charcoal, it still might be my favorite anyway. Super purdy!

Last edited by seypat; 01-25-19 at 08:14 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.