Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 02-20-20, 09:59 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 199 Posts
This past weekend my riding buddy asked if I wanted to Run instead of bike. I hadn't ran since a December fun run but said yes anyway. We ran only 3 miles but at a good pace. Surprisroringly I felt good. We had talked about running together but riding always took precedent. Just like his exceptionally smooth pedaling, he has good running form. No exaggerating arm movements, or odd hitches.
So for whatever reason it's been bad weather during the weekdays (wet cold) but Nice weather on weekends (60s, 70s and even 80s temps and SUNNY) Beautiful. So you feel obligated to go outdoors and do something active.
I was kinda surprised I was a little sore sun after my run sat since I felt good running. But I went out on my old favorite bike and route. I'm not sure if It was the soreness or me being used to my rode bike but the saddle was kinda Hard. No matter I got used to it soon enough and rode the 26 miles nicely but afterwards I realized 50 miles could be a challenge. Here's the bike in question....my favorite.

Dura Ace 740(1) RD, FD, HS, BB. Original (1st generation) Gripshift and Scott DH Aerobars. Shimano 600 Crankset, Brakeset, and Aero seatpost. 6 speed for my '86.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 02-20-20, 10:27 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
Another option is a Fri night meet, and then a photo op next a.m. Then off we go, each to our suffering.
And no one finds out how slow I really am.
We always go up Friday and go to the expo and pick up our packets. We could plan to meet then and hang out at the Mpec center or go to a restaurant. Saturday morning can be hectic but we can probably park at my daughters work place which is walking distance from the start. When its over we can go back there and if they aren't delivering a baby its a nice cool place to hang out and clean up a little. Last year we sent out for food and my #2 granddaughter came back with some huge burritos that probably weighed 2 lbs.

Oh and the chip times are published after the ride.....Everyone will know
Old 02-20-20, 05:52 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 892 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj View Post
Your account of when you get ready to ride and your increased heart rate is very interesting. It reminds me of a story Anthony Robbins told about a famous singer client of his. As I recall, he said she was having anxiety about performing and it was getting to the point where she couldn't perform any more. He asked her to describe what happens when shes about to perform. She said she starts feeling nervous, then her heart starts beating faster, then she starts sweating, then she starts shaking and now can't perform. Anthony Robbins goes on to say that he was on a plane with Bruce Springsteen. And they got to talking and he asked Bruce Springsteen what it feels like when he's about to perform. He said he starts feeling anxious, then his heart starts beating faster, then he sweats, then he starts shaking and he can't wait to get on stage.
I can't remember what the Anthony Robbins point was about but maybe Perspective. Maybe C-Cat is just excited about riding and no PSTD at all.
Like C-Cat I too get a little stressed about riding (due to traffic), til I'm 4 miles out then it's Awesome.
Interesting, as my 205-225 HR is almost always at the beginning of a ride. It's like I want to die close to home.

I have unfinished business.

Old 02-20-20, 05:55 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

If you and C-Cat come for at least a photo op, BRING "EM ALL!

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 02-20-20 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-20-20, 06:58 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked 484 Times in 373 Posts
Hmm, what sorta fat-bike build are you cookin' up?.......
Old 02-20-20, 08:28 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 281 Posts
Interesting, as my 205-225 HR is almost always at the beginning of a ride. It's like I want to die close to home.
I thought that was a given at the first of a ride or run. The heart rate spikes in the first minute then levels off. At least that's what happens to me.
Old 02-20-20, 11:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 3539 Post(s)
Liked 1,035 Times in 694 Posts
Good honk! as my granddad would have said. I can't imagine my heart rate reaching 200+ anymore.

Y'all are piquing my interest in the HNHH this year. Definitely gonna go with the Ironman if I can make it. Mine is still mostly original, downtube shifters and all. Plan to keep it that way.
Old 02-21-20, 02:15 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Good honk! as my granddad would have said. I can't imagine my heart rate reaching 200+ anymore.

Y'all are piquing my interest in the HNHH this year. Definitely gonna go with the Ironman if I can make it. Mine is still mostly original, downtube shifters and all. Plan to keep it that way.
There is no reason a completely original Ironman won't work fine at the HHH.
Old 02-21-20, 09:18 AM
texaspandj

Well I sold my suburban so we're down to one vehicle and surely couldn't fit all four of my Centurion Ironman in it. Here's a group pic.

Left to right, '86 Classic 6 speed, '87 Miami Vice 7 speed, '88 Carbon Midnight Rider 8 speed, and up front and center, '89 Summertime Blues 9 speed.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 02-21-20, 11:47 AM
seypat

The Innicycle is for a 1" threaded (therefore, a metal steerer) fork. I could have used the OEM fork, but had a bit shorter Kestrel EMS fork from a 53cm Litespeed on hand. One advantage of the Innicycle: very low stack height.

On my other converted Ironman, a 1" threadless fork was used with an FSA 1" threadless headset.

The Innicycle uses pressed bearings. No fuss, no mess.

My Centurion Turbo TT will use a 1" threadless fork from an Aegis. Metal steerer, but not threaded. Hard to find a 650c fork.
Personally, I don't care too much for the look of modern threadless steerer/stems. Maybe there are companies out there that make a slip on Jimmy Hat/sheath to cover it up. I've seen some, but they come as part of a handlebar assembly.
Old 02-21-20, 01:10 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by seypat View Post
Personally, I don't care too much for the look of modern threadless steerer/stems. Maybe there are companies out there that make a slip on Jimmy Hat/sheath to cover it up. I've seen some, but they come as part of a handlebar assembly.
Agreed, provided they are on a vintage bike. However, on a modern bike they look fine.
I think somehow those threadless stems have something to do with RT getting those steel Ironman sub 20#.
Old 02-21-20, 06:36 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

There was at least one threadless stem from ye olden dayes of the early 1990s that adhered pretty closely to the quill stem appearance: the Ibis titanium stem. Single bolt clamp for both ends, the steerer and handlebar. Svelte appearance, but the trade-off was you had to strip the handlebar to swap it out, as with most quill stems. The later multi-bolt designs with detachable face plates were more practical, at least for racers.

Here's an amusing sale ad from craigslist, 2003, for the l-o-n-g Ibis titanium threadless stem: Ibis titanium stem -- long as a cat's leg

Ibis titanium threadless stem, approx 130mm. Not mine.

Cat and stem not mine. Considering it's a photo from 2003, the cat is probably long gone. The titanium stem is probably still going strong.

That Ibis stem from the old craigslist ad was designed to be horizontal when installed. Mine is angled slightly upward and can't be changed by flipping it. But the angle is comfortable for me so it's fine as-is.

My Trekenstein Trek 5900 bought from texaspandj last year came with the original Ibis stem. Lovely thing. At the time it was a little too long for my achy injured neck, so I replaced it with an FSA stem -- the typical chunky looking thing with 4-bolt detachable face plate. And an FSA Omega compact drop bar with shorter reach.

Trekenstein with the relatively sleek Ibis titanium threadless stem. Single bolts for steerer and handlebar clamps. No detachable face plate so it's necessary to strip the handlebar for swaps. Not great for pro racers, but not a big deal for us ordinary folks. (Essential Ironman relevant content: Most of those components on that '93 Trek 5900 came from an Ironman. So it's sort of a Centrekion Irontrek.)

Closeup of Ibis titanium threadless stem, single bolts for each clamp. At the time, using a lovely Nitto B65LL drop bar. Soon to be replaced with a Soma Highway One to shorten the reach and drop a bit to suit my creaky old neck.

However with lots of physical therapy I may be able to handle the Ibis stem again, particularly with a handlebar with less reach. I discovered the Soma Highway One bar is nearly identical to the FSA Omega and Gossamer compact drops. A couple of local friends use that Soma bar on their Bridgestone steel bikes. So while the Trekenstein is currently out of service waiting for headset repairs, I'm going to order that Soma bar, and put the original Ibis stem back on. That'll restore the sleeker appearance it originally had, with a handlebar better suited to my limited flexibility.

And the FSA Omega drop bar can go on the newer Diamondback Podium frame project, which will look fine with the chunky headset and fatter diameter handlebar.

Last edited by canklecat; 02-21-20 at 06:47 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 02-22-20, 09:57 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1985 Specialized Sequoia, 1986 Miyata 912, 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert, 1988 Miyata 615, 1989 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 51 Posts
My favorite
Likes For robertj298:
Old 02-23-20, 05:51 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 159 Posts
My First...

Too small for me, but how could I resist. It's practically NOS. Check out the big ring, and brake blocks (though it just shows how little it takes to leave marks on some anodized rims). The tires even still have the nubs on them. Going up for local sale, North Jersey CL.

Crazy cool, (except for the overly padded saddle).

A little basic maintenance, and a few bits soaked in evaporust overnight, some new bar tape... Ready for someone to start putting some miles on it.
Old 02-23-20, 07:37 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

They are still out there...

Ace and bone clean.
Looks 56cm. 54cm and we'd be talking....
Originally Posted by Last ride 76 View Post
Too small for me, but how could I resist. It's practically NOS. Check out the big ring, and brake blocks (though it just shows how little it takes to leave marks on some anodized rims). The tires even still have the nubs on them. Going up for local sale, North Jersey CL.

A little basic maintenance, and a few bits soaked in evaporust overnight, some new bar tape... Ready for someone to start putting some miles on it.

Old 02-23-20, 09:13 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 159 Posts
Ace and bone clean.

Looks 56cm. 54cm and we'd be talking....

Robbie, you are no help at all.*

A month ago, I was told 54 cm, on an under 40 degree day, windy and raining - with the saddle slammed down, it was all I could do to ride it across the parking lot to feel it if tracked ok. It had black grease splattered all over, under the rain. In addition there was an impatient wife in the seller's passenger seat. At home. I made coffee,dried it off and squirted WD-40 into everything, and put it aside.

Head tubes with different color lugs, confuse me, apparently. I didn't even notice while cleaning and taking pictures this afternoon. I can't sell it, not before tuning the fit and putting some miles on it. Not gonna happen.

Actually I would have felt worse, if I found out later. So, Thx. Tomorrow is going to be in the fifties again...
Old 02-23-20, 10:04 PM
seypat

Squeaky clean!
Old 02-24-20, 05:36 AM
texaspandj

Cool and clean LeMans.
Old 02-26-20, 08:18 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by ddeand View Post
I知 one of those who tries to limit my inventory, so I really don稚 let myself drift into the true collector mode. But I知 also trying to optimize the quality and fit if my rides. I was able to pick up an Ironman for a tad over a c-note this fall, and I rode it a couple hundred miles, as is, to see if the geometry would work for me - and it really feels great! So . . . my plan is to build it up as my main vintage rider (I also have a CX bike for gravel and general riding) - it will get about 50% of my miles. Because if my age and level of comfort and safety with my bikes, I値l be removing just about every component on the bike and swapping in a full Dura-Ace 8-speed group with the early shifter brakes. This group will come off of my 1980 Miyata Pro which has been my vintage rider for the past couple years, but which narrowly lost out to the Ironman. While I was OK with the Ironman 105 setup, I feel much safer with the controls at hand. Right now, all the components have been removed from the bike, and I知 trying to find paint to match the colors so I can get the touch-ups done. Then, I値l reassemble with the D-A pieces. Looking forward to this winter project!

Any updates on your Miami Vice project?
Old 02-26-20, 05:22 PM
ddeand 

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 36 Posts
Any updates on your Miami Vice project?
Thanks for the interest. So far, I have the bike completely disassembled and all the parts have been cleaned and ready to go. But since it痴 still winter here in the Twin Cities, I can稚 get the touch-up painting done. I have about 20 little spots that need to be touched up, and I have most of the priming and leveling done (see pic). I plan on using an airbrush for the spot work. If that goes well, I might use the airbrush to paint frames. I知 also practicing re-covering bike seats. The Ironman will get a yellow leather seat with yellow bar tape, and white cables. The groupset will be 8-speed Dura-Ace (brifters). I may not be very fast on the bike, but people will know I知 coming! I知 also working on a funky-cool bike for my grandson. But again, I知 not allowed to strip paint in the house. I hope to be able to get a decent paint match on the MV - we値l see.

Old 02-27-20, 08:46 AM
hazetguy 
Custom User Title

Bikes: are filling up my basement.

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 256 Posts
Has this been posted before? I mean the ad has been up for a month, price seems reasonable. What am I missing? If it were my size I would be really tempted.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/bik/d...065388259.html

Centurion Prestige Road bike 56cm Tange Cr-Mo steel - $180

Centurion Prestige Road bike. 56 cm Tange Cr-Mo double butted tubing frame & fork. Good for riders 5 8 up to 5 10. Pending pant inseam
Older bike but rides like new. It痴 needs a bath (it痴 not a Picasso) and a new front tire that I can provide. Selling only to purchase new wheels for another bike.
Campagnolo 9 speed Mirage Shifters, Campagnolo Veloce rear derailuer, Campagnolo Mirage front derailuer and Campagnolo Mirage triple cranks. Bianchi wheel with Campagnolo rear hub. Mavic front wheel with Shimano 600 hub. Shimano 600 brakes.

PLEASE DO NOT "LIKE" MY POSTS!!!

Old 02-27-20, 11:26 AM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

I no longer live there, or it would be gone.

Originally Posted by hazetguy View Post
Has this been posted before? I mean the ad has been up for a month, price seems reasonable. What am I missing? If it were my size I would be really tempted.

Centurion Prestige Road bike. 56 cm Tange Cr-Mo double butted tubing frame & fork. Good for riders 5 8 up to 5 10. Pending pant inseam
Older bike but rides like new. It痴 needs a bath (it痴 not a Picasso) and a new front tire that I can provide. Selling only to purchase new wheels for another bike.
Campagnolo 9 speed Mirage Shifters, Campagnolo Veloce rear derailuer, Campagnolo Mirage front derailuer and Campagnolo Mirage triple cranks. Bianchi wheel with Campagnolo rear hub. Mavic front wheel with Shimano 600 hub. Shimano 600 brakes.

Old 02-27-20, 11:45 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by hazetguy View Post

That's a very prestigious bike for that price. I'm saving up my Prestige buying for the 86 Lavender model that I could find one day, maybe. It will probably never happen, but a person can dream. I'd take an 85 as well.
Old 02-27-20, 11:52 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

That Prestige is tempting. My size too. But I have a feeling my apartment manager would have a conniption if I brought another bike home.
Old 03-01-20, 04:55 PM
seypat

For the Texas chapter, the wife attended a wedding in Waxahachie yesterday. It was held at a place called the Vine Barn. The bride lives in Crawford.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright ゥ 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.