Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

New Bike for Wife

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

New Bike for Wife

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-18, 12:31 PM
rEVOLVED

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
New Bike for Wife

Posted this in rec/family, but I think it might be better suited here. Thanks!

Hey, gang! I've been hanging on the FG/SS side of the forum for a while, and am now looking for a new bike for my wife. She knows how to ride a bike, but that's about as far as her experience goes. I know she wants something with at least 3-7 speeds, and regular hand brakes (not coaster). She doesn't want a road or mountain bike. The last bike we saw that she liked was a Trek, either Verve or FX. Anyway, I think this puts us in the hybrid/commuter type category. I have a rear seat on my mountain bike for our 20 month old, and we need to figure out how to get our 5 month old situated as well. We will likely switch to a regular trailer style thing for the two kids, which I'll haul. I am mainly looking at what I should get for my wife...maybe this should be in a different section of the forum.

I don't want to spend any more money than is necessary. We will be riding on paved multipurpose paths in Phoenix, AZ, which is almost entirely flat. Likely 5-10 miles at a time until she gets in shape for 25-40 mile rides. What recommendations do you all have on the budget side? I'm open to bikes direct, Target, and whatever other options might be out there. Thanks so much!
Old 05-30-18, 01:02 PM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
I am certainly not the most experienced to be offering advice, but I will share my story.

My wife and I both have two nice (to us) bikes - all four of which we purchased used. Initial cost was around $325 for all four bikes combined - and every one cost considerably more than that when new! We haven't had to do any major work on them, yet. I've put over 750 miles on each of mine, and my wife has over 500 miles on each of hers. We got one at a yard sale, and three we found on Craig's list.

If you are looking to get a decent bike at a bargain price, used is the way to go, in my opinion! One of my wife's bike was like new. The original purchaser paid almost $400 for it, rode it two or three times in the neighborhood, and lost interest. Listed it for sale on Craigslist for $150 where it sat for about 10 days with no takers. We saw the price lowered to $125. My wife went and took it for a test ride - owner offered it to us for $100 - "just want to get rid of it". Counter offered $90 - sold! Savings - $200+

You just have to be patient and hold out for the right bike - FIT and features as well as price! This means you need to have a pretty good idea of what you are looking for going in, or you will spend way too much time being distracted by bikes that don't fit or won't work well for her.

I'm guessing there are a lot of used bikes in the Phoenix area.

Originally Posted by rEVOLVED
I don't want to spend any more money than is necessary. We will be riding on paved multipurpose paths in Phoenix, AZ, which is almost entirely flat. Likely 5-10 miles at a time until she gets in shape for 25-40 mile rides. What recommendations do you all have on the budget side? I'm open to bikes direct, Target, and whatever other options might be out there. Thanks so much!

Last edited by Rje58; 05-30-18 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-30-18, 02:34 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 572 Posts
If your wife is relatively new to riding, or otherwise inexperienced, a "comfort oriented" hybrid bike is likely going to be the most enjoyable for her to ride. Something like a Trek Verve, Specialized Crossroads, Giant Cypress or Giant Sedona, Jamis Citizen, etc. Are you specifically looking for new, or are you comfortable wrenching on used as well? There is often very good value in buying used. Some of my favorite bikes in my fleet were bought for a song, used.
Old 05-30-18, 03:04 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Someone has to say it -- your wife needs to pick her own bike. The more you are involved, the less she'll appreciate it long-term.

My wife loves her bike, after 2 years, gets ridden every weekend day, she even commuted a few times. Electra Ticino 20D Mixte, took months to find it. A Rivendell Cheviot was her runner up.

Obviously, she has good taste.
Old 05-30-18, 04:35 PM
muddyrock

Bikes: 2019 Trek X-Caliber 8 and 2019 Trek FX2

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
Someone has to say it -- your wife needs to pick her own bike. The more you are involved, the less she'll appreciate it long-term.

My wife loves her bike, after 2 years, gets ridden every weekend day, she even commuted a few times. Electra Ticino 20D Mixte, took months to find it. A Rivendell Cheviot was her runner up.

Obviously, she has good taste.
Very well said. I do think it is great that you are supporting her and doing research. With that being said, My wife bought a mountain bike last year and was never comfortable on it (Trek skye). This year she road it twice and said she was done with it. I let her calm down and asked what happened? She said it just wasn't comfortable. I asked her if she wanted to bring to our bike shop and make sure the seat was correctly adjusted and have her explain her discomforts. She replied with "nope I want a different bike. She never goes off the paved paths and not really sure why she wanted a mountain bike in the first place. After being together for 16 years I have learned to keep my opinions to my self sometimes.

She went to the shop and was set on a Trek FX as I have a Fx S4. She explained her discomforts and the sale guy pulled out a Trek Verve. She said oh but I wanted a FX. The guy spent a lot of time with her/us and explained she was still not going to be comfortable on a FX. He finally convinced her to at least test ride the verve. She road around there parking lot with a big smile in her face, she loved it. The guy said do you still want to ride the FX3? She said no but the sales guy said you will never know. She road it and came back and said "you were right" I will stay with the verve. At least he heard words I never hear lol.

The reason she was not comfortable on the sky was the geometry of the bike, the verve is more of a relaxed ride. Nothing to do with the Trek Skye being a bad bike, it was just not for my wife.

I suggest going to a bike shop and have her test ride ones she maybe looking at. I am lucky and have a great shop here. look up shops in your area and read reviews. Even if you don't buy new at least she will know what is comfortable and can look for a used one if you go used.

Last edited by muddyrock; 05-30-18 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-02-18, 07:08 PM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
The FX was a little too forward leaning for me, the Verve was my initial choice but as I looked at it more I realized I wanted something a little sportier and ended up with the Neko. It really just comes down to what position she is most comfortable and her current fitness as well as fitness goals.
Old 06-03-18, 01:35 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 543 Posts
Without a doubt have your wife pick out the bike. You can prep her with a little information as to what the differences are, but in the end, let her make the decision. Comfort bikes are just that, comfortable. I had one for a little while and I have to say it felt like I was riding on a float in a parade. They're nice, comfortable and you're sitting straight up and you can wave and say hello to everyone you meet. The catch is if your wife learns to enjoy riding, she'll probably grow out of it pretty quick. Taking one of those on an extended ride or one that involves hills... the weight of the bike will just kill you trying to work your way up the hills. That's not to say you can't take them for extended rides, it just involves a lot more energy.
Old 06-03-18, 02:08 PM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
[QUOTE=The catch is if your wife learns to enjoy riding, she'll probably grow out of it pretty quick. Taking one of those on an extended ride or one that involves hills... the weight of the bike will just kill you trying to work your way up the hills. That's not to say you can't take them for extended rides, it just involves a lot more energy.[/QUOTE]

This is spot on. Your needs and wants change the more you ride. still love my Neko, when I first got it I thought I’d never get comfortable on it, but I was injured. It’s been almost a year now and I wish I would have looked at the FX a little more, I wouldn’t mind be a little further forward so I could put a little more weight into my pedal when going uphill.
Old 06-03-18, 03:16 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
You can do 90% of the shopping -new or used- and yes, she should ride a few options and then pick out what feels best. And LOOKS best, because aesthetics is ALWAYS, WAY up there, in my shopping and selection. ALSO, it is a well-known fact that beautiful bikes ride better and are ridden more. Lucky wife, lucky guy.