Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SRAM eTap: 0 & 2 in the count... One more strike and YOU'RE OUT!!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

SRAM eTap: 0 & 2 in the count... One more strike and YOU'RE OUT!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-17, 09:37 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
So you're saying that on some frames with a compact crank, you can't get the FD close enough to the 50T chainring.

OK... i can see that. Thanks for proving your point and accept my apology for the #fakenews.
RULE #26 Never apologise
Old 04-28-17, 09:41 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
RULE #26 Never apologise
  1. Rule #26 // Make your bike photogenic.

When photographing your bike, gussy her up properly for the camera. Some parameters are firm: valve stems at 6 o’clock. Cranks never at 90 or 180 degrees. Others are at your discretion, though the accepted practices include putting the chain on the big dog, and no bidons in the cages.

Actually, I did it for myself. The internet is full of "keyboard commandos" and I don't want to be one of them. I said something snarky ASSuming I was right and I was wrong.
Old 04-28-17, 04:36 PM
dblackwood72

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update

So here's the latest...

SRAM sent another rear derailleur and no change, same issues in the 11-14 cogs. After another phone call to SRAM, they sent out new cassettes, a 11-32 Red and Force. They told us to try the force first and if it solves the problem, ride with it for a couple of rides then switch it out to the replacement Red.

The force cassette seems to have solved the issue. I'll go back mid-week to have them swap it out with the RED cassette. Hopefully my second "strike" was just a bad cassette.

So in the past 3 weeks I've had to have a replacement derailleur and cassette from SRAM... I hope I was just dealt a couple unfortunate lemons and everything will be cool!
Old 04-28-17, 05:32 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by dblackwood72
So here's the latest...

SRAM sent another rear derailleur and no change, same issues in the 11-14 cogs. After another phone call to SRAM, they sent out new cassettes, a 11-32 Red and Force. They told us to try the force first and if it solves the problem, ride with it for a couple of rides then switch it out to the replacement Red.

The force cassette seems to have solved the issue. I'll go back mid-week to have them swap it out with the RED cassette. Hopefully my second "strike" was just a bad cassette.

So in the past 3 weeks I've had to have a replacement derailleur and cassette from SRAM... I hope I was just dealt a couple unfortunate lemons and everything will be cool!
once you get it sorted you're going to love it.
Old 04-28-17, 06:21 PM
springs

Bikes: Emonda SLR, Salsa Warbird carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
The limited vertical clearance is ridiculously easy to fix, just grind a couple mm off the top of the hanger.

From the picture, there's easily 5mm of material you [can] remove, maybe even more.
That's what I did, although I'm not sure I needed to. Everything works fine.
Old 04-28-17, 07:52 PM
bleui

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dblackwood72
So here's the latest...

what cassette do you replace? was it a SRAM too?
Old 04-28-17, 10:45 PM
Danny01

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nycphotography
once you get it sorted you're going to love it.
This is true. Even with my etap FD troubles, whenever I go back to my mechanical Ultegra bike, I feel like shifting takes so much work. Every time I get on that bike, I accidentally shift into the small chain ring instead of the next bigger cog.
Old 04-28-17, 10:53 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Danny01
whenever I go back to my mechanical Ultegra bike, I feel like shifting takes so much work.

Every time I get on that bike, I accidentally shift into the small chain ring instead of the next bigger cog.

whatever works for you.
Old 04-28-17, 11:18 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I'm using the latest Sram Red 22 rings and crank. 50/34. The chain scratched up the pretty carbon arms on my first ride.
Oh, man. That hurts to hear. I didn't have my limit screw adjusted properly and made a about a full turn adjustment to my inline adjuster. That caused it to drop the chain off the outside and scratched up my crank arms. This was just a used 6700 group I'd bought on eBay and it hurt, I know scratching the much more expensive new crank really sucked.

Got any pictures or information on what you'd need made to get your DR low enough?
Old 04-29-17, 12:18 PM
Danny01

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dksix
Oh, man. That hurts to hear. I didn't have my limit screw adjusted properly and made a about a full turn adjustment to my inline adjuster. That caused it to drop the chain off the outside and scratched up my crank arms. This was just a used 6700 group I'd bought on eBay and it hurt, I know scratching the much more expensive new crank really sucked.

Got any pictures or information on what you'd need made to get your DR low enough?
Yeah it hurt my soul when I saw it, but I'm over it by now. The scratches aren't visible from 5 feet away.

No pictures, but the part of the hanger that gets bolted to the frame has to be about 5mm higher relative to the rest of the hanger that makes contact with the derailleur.
Old 04-29-17, 12:34 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Yeah it hurt my soul when I saw it, but I'm over it by now. The scratches aren't visible from 5 feet away.

No pictures, but the part of the hanger that gets bolted to the frame has to be about 5mm higher relative to the rest of the hanger that makes contact with the derailleur.
Is it a braze-on style hanger? You say "bolt on", I've never seen on that was bolted on but rather riveted.
Old 05-23-17, 09:46 PM
bobother

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought I was only one with problems shifting from 11 to 12 on Etap. All other shifts are fine. Only 11 to 12 is a issue. I run a standard cage, 50-34 and a 11-30 cassette on a BMC SLR01. All Etap except for a Dura Ace chain. I'm not sure if SRAM will warranty it since I purchased it online. It's nice to know some else has this problem.
Old 06-08-17, 09:48 PM
dblackwood72

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SRAM replaced my 11-32 Red Cassette and haven't had a problem since... I think they know there is a issue with their cassettes. When they sent me the replacement, they sent a RED and Force cassette and told me to try both. I actually thought the Force cassette shifted better.

Originally Posted by bobother
I thought I was only one with problems shifting from 11 to 12 on Etap. All other shifts are fine. Only 11 to 12 is a issue. I run a standard cage, 50-34 and a 11-30 cassette on a BMC SLR01. All Etap except for a Dura Ace chain. I'm not sure if SRAM will warranty it since I purchased it online. It's nice to know some else has this problem.
Old 06-08-17, 10:33 PM
speshelite
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why is SRAM having so many problems with QC?
Old 06-08-17, 11:16 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by speshelite
Why is SRAM having so many problems with QC?
it could be because they are relatively new at this.
Old 06-09-17, 04:50 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I don't know if this is relative to the problem being discussed here, but after replacing a 10-speed Red cassette on my previous frame (Giant TCR Advanced), I found that the RD could not reach to the smallest (11 tooth) cog. Even with the limit screw fully disengaged, the RD wouldn't move far enough to the right. The solution was to move the RD fully to the right with a 2 mm thick washer as a shim on between the RD and hanger at the attachment. Problem fully fixed.

I didn't notice the problem when I moved everything to my Workswell frame and was able to eliminate the shim washer. But then when I replaced the rear wheel, levers, chain, and cassette with 11-speed, once again the same RD wouldn't quite reach the smallest cog. And this time also the shim solved the problem. Only difference was that the 11-speed cassette was not SRAM Red but rather BDop's alloy cassette.

Apparently my 2009 vintage SRAM Red RD just doesn't reach far enough to the right for some frame/freehub/cassette combinations.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...