Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recovery Drinks

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Recovery Drinks

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-17, 01:43 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by LottoAdecco02
This is going to date me, but I was sometimes given flat warm coca-cola. And it actually worked! But, hey, we weren't even required to wear helmets so I'm sure the previously mentioned liquids are better choices...
why not cold carbonated coke? Nothing really hits the spot the same way other than maybe a cold beer
Old 07-07-17, 01:55 PM
LottoAdecco02

Bikes: Time Skylon, BH Ultralight, Focus Variado, Soma Smoothie, All City CX, Surly LHT, '01 Team GT ZR and '02 Team Litespeed, Bianchi Special

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe it was just an old-soigneurs-tale, but the flatness and room temp was said to speed up the recovery, plus prevent a brain-freeze headache and gas. Agreed on the cold coke being super tasty though.
Old 07-07-17, 01:56 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sweet tea with a touch of salt.
Old 07-07-17, 01:57 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I'm lactose-intolerant though I can drink Lactaid milk. A lot of protein powders are whey protein and not true whey isolate, so lactose there too. I have been searching. Maybe if I cannot find a true whey isolate, I'll try to find a casein protein powder. Lots of those protein powders have tons of carbs and a million calories for lifters trying to pack on weight and muscle. We need a lactose-free protein powder for runners and cyclists.
Old 07-07-17, 02:34 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by Chandne
I'm lactose-intolerant though I can drink Lactaid milk. A lot of protein powders are whey protein and not true whey isolate, so lactose there too. I have been searching. Maybe if I cannot find a true whey isolate, I'll try to find a casein protein powder. Lots of those protein powders have tons of carbs and a million calories for lifters trying to pack on weight and muscle. We need a lactose-free protein powder for runners and cyclists.
why? Its not like you need a lot of protein after a ride, and the carbs to refill glycogen stores is arguably more important. Just use less than what a lifter would use if thats what you are after.
Old 07-07-17, 02:39 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
I used to pound down the whey and milk-based products as a lifter. These days, milk protein is a total inflammation bomb in my system, which results in tendonitis, achy joints and saddle pain.

Food for thought.

Oh, and look into pea protein.
Old 07-07-17, 03:31 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
why? Its not like you need a lot of protein after a ride, and the carbs to refill glycogen stores is arguably more important. Just use less than what a lifter would use if thats what you are after.
I read a study that looked at the effect of protein consumed after various activities. They found evidence it helped repair muscles for cyclists more than any other activity. So it is like you need a lot of protein after a ride (if you want to repair your muscles).
Old 07-07-17, 03:37 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by memebag
I read a study that looked at the effect of protein consumed after various activities. They found evidence it helped repair muscles for cyclists more than any other activity. So it is like you need a lot of protein after a ride (if you want to repair your muscles).
where is the study, how many g/kg do they recommend? Just because they found it helps does not mean you need alot.
Old 07-07-17, 03:41 PM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
where is the study, how many g/kg do they recommend? Just because they found it helps does not mean you need alot.
I don't know where I read it. It was a year ago or so. They were testing the effect of protein shakes specifically. They said they couldn't measure a benefit for other sports, just cycling. So you do need a lot (if you want to repair your muscles).

I don't always drink protein shakes because sometimes I don't want to repair my muscles.
Old 07-07-17, 03:50 PM
redlude97

I don't know where I read it. It was a year ago or so. They were testing the effect of protein shakes specifically. They said they couldn't measure a benefit for other sports, just cycling. So you do need a lot (if you want to repair your muscles).

I don't always drink protein shakes because sometimes I don't want to repair my muscles.
Thats simply not true. For example this review paper outlines the role of protein consumption in resistance training etc. https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/arti...1550-2783-10-5

So go ahead and find the paper that says only cyclists benefit from protein.
Old 07-07-17, 04:34 PM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thats simply not true. For example this review paper outlines the role of protein consumption in resistance training etc. https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/arti...1550-2783-10-5

So go ahead and find the paper that says only cyclists benefit from protein.
Why? So I can win the internet?
Old 07-07-17, 05:24 PM
redlude97

Why? So I can win the internet?
Or you know, maybe find out why you came to that conclusion about something so fundamentally wrong in sports science?
Old 07-08-17, 01:07 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I find after a 2hr ride a protein shake will help suppress appetite. Otherwise 4 hours later I'm eating everything in the house.

Oddly... after a 300+km ride this ravenous appetite kicks in after 5 days. The local bakery does very well on some Thursdays.
Old 07-08-17, 03:58 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by znomit
I find after a 2hr ride a protein shake will help suppress appetite. Otherwise 4 hours later I'm eating everything in the house.

Oddly... after a 300+km ride this ravenous appetite kicks in after 5 days. The local bakery does very well on some Thursdays.
Just goes to show how complex the whole process can be. I haven't experienced that great a lag, but I have found that sometimes I won't have as much of an appetite as expected the afternoon/evening after a big ride, but maybe a day, day and a half later it kicks in. But basic hydration is another story - that always needs to be recovered right away.
Old 07-08-17, 04:48 AM
Tokwan

Bikes: Giant/HARO/ Exitway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm retired and cannot afford much. So I make my own. I mix 2 spoonfuls of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 a lime or lemon and some cinnamon powder. Put it in a tall glass and leave it to chill for 1 day. I always have this in the fridge. I drink this after a my rides. During the rides, its just plain water.
At night, its always a glass of goats milk (I am allergic to lactose so cow's milk is a no no).
Coffee is during my ride stops.
Old 07-08-17, 05:05 AM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Or you know, maybe find out why you came to that conclusion about something so fundamentally wrong in sports science?
I know exactly how I came to this conclusion. I read a study. Isn't that what you did?
Old 07-08-17, 08:09 AM
redlude97

I know exactly how I came to this conclusion. I read a study. Isn't that what you did?
No, I've read many studies. Anyone should know you shouldn't go off a single study, especially when its conclusion goes against almost all the other peer reviewed literature out there on the subject.
Old 07-08-17, 09:10 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
I used to pound down the whey and milk-based products as a lifter. These days, milk protein is a total inflammation bomb in my system, which results in tendonitis, achy joints and saddle pain.

Food for thought.

Oh, and look into pea protein.
Not an expert, but I was thinking the same thing. These days many vegetable based powders are available. Soy, pea and what not.

But why even a drink? How about a solid meal and a nap :-)
Old 07-08-17, 10:11 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Not an expert, but I was thinking the same thing. These days many vegetable based powders are available. Soy, pea and what not.

But why even a drink? How about a solid meal and a nap :-)
Oh, I don't bother with the protein powder after a ride. It replaces milk on my oatmeal.

After a hard ride, sugary drink (OJ favorite) and some carby food. I'm not picky.
Old 07-08-17, 10:48 AM
DPV

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like VEGA recovery accelerator (they make great Sport Protein too). It's plant based, and has no added sugars or artificial additives. I am an ultra runner as well as cyclist, and this seems to enable me to tackle multiple big days in a row. Won't necessarily be for everyone, but I like it and it works for me.

https://myvega.com/vega-sport-recovery
Old 07-08-17, 01:22 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
On the bike: 8 grams honey + 1 pinch of salt to 22 oz of water. Keeps you hydrated better than water alone, and it's not the sugar-bomb that most sports drinks are (not to mention over-priced).

After the ride: Mike's Mix Protein First recovery drink. It's all natural; all the carbs are low glycemic index (i.e. don't spike your blood sugar) and it has a relatively low carbs-to-protein ratio (I prefer a lower-carb diet, and most recovery drinks have a crazy amount of carbs). I also weight lift 5 days a week and find this helps my recovery.
Old 07-08-17, 02:30 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

But I want the blood sugar spike and corresponding insulin response to push glycogen back into the muscles. After a hard ride.
Old 07-08-17, 04:40 PM
beermode

Bikes: 2011 Spec Allez w/ new stuff, 2019 Stumpjumper ST Alloy

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
And gatorade is just overpriced water with salt and sugar.

Bottle full of water, good pinch of salt, an oz or 2 of simple syrup. Tastes better than gatorade, and does the same thing. Really all gatorade does over water is give you salt. If you're paranoid...you can get some potassium chloride...which is just no sodium table salt for people on salt resitricted diets, to get some potassium in your system. But from the nutrient loss rates i've seen, sodium loss/hyponatremia is the only thing you really need to worry about.

Edit: i suppose if you're spending 15 hrs a day in full gear in the middle of a desert for weeks on end potassium loss might be an issue. But who knows, lol? I had hyponatremia once and it was not fun...so I do make sure to bring something besides just water on long, hot rides.
Powerade/Gatorade is almost as cheap as bottled water.
Old 07-08-17, 07:31 PM
springs

Bikes: Emonda SLR, Salsa Warbird carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DPV
I like VEGA recovery accelerator (they make great Sport Protein too). It's plant based, and has no added sugars or artificial additives. I am an ultra runner as well as cyclist, and this seems to enable me to tackle multiple big days in a row. Won't necessarily be for everyone, but I like it and it works for me.

https://myvega.com/vega-sport-recovery
I've been using this too for a couple years. Works for me. Tastes great IMO.
Old 07-09-17, 07:12 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by beermode
Powerade/Gatorade is almost as cheap as bottled water.
Yet infinitely more expensive than actual water...

Never understood why people pay for water...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.