Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Yaw tubes from Ribble?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Yaw tubes from Ribble?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-15, 07:59 PM
Deontologist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yaw tubes from Ribble?

They're really cheap on Ribble. Does anyone have any experiences with Yaw tubes?
Old 04-24-15, 10:04 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Never heard of 'em....but personally, when it comes to tubes, "really cheap" is something I'd avoid. Not the place you want to skimp- and especially considering that really good tubes can be had for around $6. (I use Michelin- They don't leak-down; no valve trouble; and haven't had a flat in years)
Old 04-24-15, 01:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Schwalbes tubes are good too .. like their Tires .
Old 04-24-15, 06:18 PM
springs

Bikes: Emonda SLR, Salsa Warbird carbon

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deontologist
They're really cheap on Ribble. Does anyone have any experiences with Yaw tubes?
I got some free with a recent purchase. Haven't used them yet but they are heavy.
Old 04-25-15, 09:52 AM
Deontologist

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stucky
Never heard of 'em....but personally, when it comes to tubes, "really cheap" is something I'd avoid. Not the place you want to skimp- and especially considering that really good tubes can be had for around $6. (I use Michelin- They don't leak-down; no valve trouble; and haven't had a flat in years)
True. The brand name tubes on Ribble are somewhat more expensive but it's not insanely more expensive.

On the other hand I've brought tubes which were poorly rated and none of them have exploded on me or anything. Makes me wonder if I just got lucky or if it's just the nature of the beast that people with negative experiences are more likely to post about them ...

Last edited by Deontologist; 04-25-15 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-25-15, 11:11 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Deontologist
True. The brand name tubes on Ribble are somewhat more expensive but it's not insanely more expensive.

On the other hand I've brought tubes which were poorly rated and none of them have exploded on me or anything. Makes me wonder if I just got lucky or if it's just the nature of the beast that people with negative experiences are more likely to post about them ...
Yeah, heck, I'm [STRIKE]a cheapskate[/STRIKE] very frugal, but the way I look at, saving 3-$4 on a tube is a false economy.

I'd say with some of those cheap tubes you've had good experiences with, the quality-control can likely vary quite a bit....sometimes you might get a run of good 'uns, plus sometimes it might just be luck in not hitting anything that could make you flat. All I know, is that I'd rather spend the extry $3 for the good one, than take a chance; 'cause it ain't no fun fixing a flat on the side of the road.

My first road bike taught me that lesson. It was an el-cheapo from Bikesdirect- and while it was a great bike for the price; the tires and tubes it came with were complete garbage. The valve stem ripped out of one of the tubes before I even took my first ride on that bike! The tubes would leak down overnight; The presta valve on the other tube broke; and I had numerous flats and blow-outs in the first few hundred miles of riding.

That taught me to buy quality tubes and tires. I Gatorskins [over-kill...but I was paranoid, after those cruddy Kendas!] and Michelin tubes on that bike, and rode it another 2500 miles till I sold it, and didn't have any more flats.