Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Goggles or glasses for winter riding: Your reccomendations?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-17, 09:36 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After many, many, many years I am back to wearing contact lenses. My old winter setup was glasses + over-the-glasses ski goggles.

I'm looking for your recommendations on goggles that sit closer to the face or other eyewear that shields your eyes from wind and perhaps provides some level of warmth.

I am commuting in the VA-DC area so not the coldest winters but come January-February we tend to dip into the 20's.

Thanks for any and all advice!
Old 11-20-17, 09:52 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,598 Times in 2,352 Posts
this works for me but I don't wear contacts

I tried goggles last year, but they fogged, & then the fog froze! couldn't even wipe that stuff off! my face is warm & moist & with extreme cold outside the goggles, w not enough ventilation, that's a poor plan. maybe with less temperature differentiation like in warmer temps the goggles would work. or maybe having more ventilation would let the goggles work. might try modifying them this winter (take out the foam inserts from the vents). but really the safety glasses work just fine. how long is your commute?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-20-17 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-20-17, 11:47 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6

I tried goggles last year, but they fogged, & then the fog froze! couldn't even wipe that stuff off! my face is warm & moist & with extreme cold outside the goggles, w not enough ventilation, that's a poor plan. maybe with less temperature differentiation like like in warmer temps the goggles would work. or maybe having more ventilation would let the goggle work. might try modifying them this winter. but really the safety glasses work just fine. how long is your commute?
This is what I use down into the upper 20s. I wear a balaclava that I can pull over my nose when it gets cold....upper 20s lower 30s. The problem with this is that the glass fog up with the balaclava pulled up high.

Ski goggles work a bit better with the balaclava...but only so much. Lower 20s I still have fogging issues. I'm not sure there is a good solution short of doing something drastic. There is a guy on these forums...I think from one of the dakotas. He rigged up a really cool setup using a gasmask to expel his breath out the side of the mask, through one of the filter intakes, eliminating fogging. Very cool setup...I'm actually considering giving it a go, as I've got a science surplus store a mile from my house, and they've got old WW2 gas masks for sale.

I'm looking forward to scaring the crap out of my 3 yr old with it
Old 11-20-17, 12:16 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
There is a guy on these forums...I think from one of the dakotas. He rigged up a really cool setup using a gasmask to expel his breath out the side of the mask, through one of the filter intakes, eliminating fogging
my breath isn't the problem, it's my wet face
Old 11-20-17, 12:19 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
my breath isn't the problem, it's my wet face
Yea it's not ideal. But really...even a wet, frozen balaclava does a decent job of keeping your face warm, at least relative to a 20mph 15F wind straight into it. Anything to keep the wind off is generally enough, at least for a reasonable commute of under an hour.

If it's under 15 or so...I have serious concerns about frostbite on my exposed face/nose. Not so with even a sheet of ice over it...
Old 11-20-17, 12:24 PM
rumrunn6

even a wet, frozen balaclava does a decent job of keeping your face warm
right there with you. this is how I started a blizzard ride last year. I prefer the ones that cover the bridge of my nose

after it got soaked & I warmed up, I swapped it out for another w a little less coverage but it still fogged

Old 11-20-17, 01:08 PM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The way I see it (and it might be skewed because of my lack of success so far) is that skiers/snowboarders generally travel down a hill much faster than cyclists ride in snowy conditions but cyclists generate more heat and sweat than skiers/snowboarders. Therefore, ski/snowboard goggles have more air passing across them and less moist air being generated inside them. This is why I believe that I can't get ski goggles to work for me.

However, I have just realized that cross-country (nordic) skiers are more like cyclists than downhill skiers/snowboarders because they do work much harder. Their goggles/glasses do not have foam all around but just across the forehead and are open on the bottom. These may be more suited to cyclists' needs. However, unlike downhill goggles that can be found at quite cheap prices (as low as $20), all I can find for cross-country/nordic goggles are the expensive brand names ($100+).

If anyone knows of a source of inexpensive nordic glasses, I'd like to hear.

Old 11-20-17, 01:50 PM
dcb23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I tried goggles last year, but they fogged, & then the fog froze! couldn't even wipe that stuff off! my face is warm & moist & with extreme cold outside the goggles, w not enough ventilation, that's a poor plan. maybe with less temperature differentiation like in warmer temps the goggles would work. or maybe having more ventilation would let the goggles work. might try modifying them this winter (take out the foam inserts from the vents). but really the safety glasses work just fine. how long is your commute?
11 miles inbound, 10 miles on the return route. Headwinds can be a problem in the winter.
Old 11-20-17, 02:12 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by jrickards
just realized that cross-country (nordic) skiers are more like cyclists than downhill skiers/snowboarders because they do work much harder. Their goggles/glasses do not have foam all around but just across the forehead and are open on the bottom. These may be more suited to cyclists' needs
ha! makes perfect sense! let the hacking begin!
Old 11-20-17, 02:31 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Experiment to find what works for you. Probably start with a pair of $5 protective glasses to see whether you need something more like goggles. I've never worn goggles, even at -23F. I typically don't were a balaclava till it gets down to around 0. Between 15 and 0 I'll sometimes wear a buff over the top of my thin merino skullcap, pulled down over my chin. I'm mostly wearing eyeglasses these days, but I've worn my contacts a few times, once as low as 5F, and there didn't seem to be any issue without glasses or goggles.
Old 11-20-17, 03:00 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I used to never be able to ride in sub-freezing temps with a balaclava fully covering my nose and mouth, and glasses, without major fogging problems. My commute is pretty hilly and I'm not fast, so I was always huffing and puffing and breathing super hard, such that wearing glasses with balaclava was impossible. Even my ski goggles I purchased a couple years ago would fog up.

But today I tried my glasses with balaclava on my e-bike, so I wasn't breathing as hard AND doing 16-20 MPH, and it worked great! No fogging at all unless I stopped. It was about 26°F when I left the house this morning.

Old 11-20-17, 04:35 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I've tried goggles. They do fog when I stop. Also, my helmet seems to push the goggles down so far that the notch for the nose is down to far... almost near the tip of my nose - it's not natural or comfortable. I can't imagine they fit this way with a ski helmet.
Old 11-20-17, 04:39 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Everywhere I've lived, including Sweden and mountainous Germany never had a reason for anything over the eyes. Even in the middle of winter.
Old 11-20-17, 05:15 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
For me, the problem with goggles is that my glasses fog under the goggles. I'm going to look for some of those nordic goggles.
Old 11-20-17, 06:06 PM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I used to never be able to ride in sub-freezing temps with a balaclava fully covering my nose and mouth, and glasses, without major fogging problems. My commute is pretty hilly and I'm not fast, so I was always huffing and puffing and breathing super hard, such that wearing glasses with balaclava was impossible. Even my ski goggles I purchased a couple years ago would fog up.

But today I tried my glasses with balaclava on my e-bike, so I wasn't breathing as hard AND doing 16-20 MPH, and it worked great! No fogging at all unless I stopped. It was about 26°F when I left the house this morning.

Those are the same glasses I use. Here is an old pic

This years I'm considering an upgrade to a covered helmet with mountain cycling goggles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2234.jpg (747.2 KB, 179 views)
Old 11-20-17, 06:26 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
When it gets really cold, like below -10*C I need to use goggles that are sealed. The added warmth is very much welcome. I feel that even with glasses/visors that are really close to the face the skin is still exposed and could lead to some problems. Having the eyes and surrounding skin covered makes a huge difference. Add to it a balaclava that covers up the mouth and the cheek, even the hose sometimes, and you're good to go down to -20*C. Colder than that I'd just drive.
Old 11-20-17, 06:32 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I've never felt the need for goggles except when skiing at -30 F in Canada. I've been riding in winter for over 60 years and it never occurred to me that I should shield my eyes. Why not just try riding without anything and see if it works for you?

Last edited by PaulH; 11-20-17 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-20-17, 06:44 PM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
I've never felt the need for goggles except when skiing at -30 F in Canada. I've been riding in winter for over 60 years and it never occurred to me that I should shield my eyes. Why not just try riding without anything and see if it works for you?
Maybe I am more sensitive than you are. I ride without anything most of the time, but sometimes I've found that glasses really help me.

My eyes get very dry I ride my bike under 10F or if I'm going on a really fast descent. And I find crossing without glasses very annoying when its raining or snowing.
Old 11-20-17, 07:05 PM
lax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cool setup...I'm actually considering giving it a go, as I've got a science surplus store a mile from my house, and they've got old WW2 gas masks for sale.

I'm looking forward to scaring the crap out of my 3 yr old with it
Off topic, but just letting you know that many old gas masks contain asbestos in the filter, so if you buy one I recommend disposing of the filter carefully and not even trying to breathe through it.
Old 11-20-17, 08:35 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
The way I see it (and it might be skewed because of my lack of success so far) is that skiers/snowboarders generally travel down a hill much faster than cyclists ride in snowy conditions but cyclists generate more heat and sweat than skiers/snowboarders. Therefore, ski/snowboard goggles have more air passing across them and less moist air being generated inside them. This is why I believe that I can't get ski goggles to work for me.

However, I have just realized that cross-country (nordic) skiers are more like cyclists than downhill skiers/snowboarders because they do work much harder. Their goggles/glasses do not have foam all around but just across the forehead and are open on the bottom. These may be more suited to cyclists' needs. However, unlike downhill goggles that can be found at quite cheap prices (as low as $20), all I can find for cross-country/nordic goggles are the expensive brand names ($100+).

If anyone knows of a source of inexpensive nordic glasses, I'd like to hear.
Very good point. For summer night riding I just used some clear construction site glasses. Main reason to not have insects hit my eyes in summer. now it is getting colder and they work OK as long as i ride fast (forced ventilation). but once i stop or slow down they fog.

I looked for some cross-country ski goggles, but most are called "snowboard". but many talk baotu antifogging.

I also realized I need 2 pairs. One tinted for daytime, one clear for the (longer) winter nights or cloudy days. It seems most ski-goggles have around 20% VLT (visible light transmittance). I don't want to lose 80% of the light at night or in depressing foggy winter days. I guess skiing is not a night activity. so ski goggles may not be very appropriate for bikes?

I have a pair of old cheap ski goggles I used when walking to work back then in winter and remember it fogged a lot when walking.

Edit: I may try these safety goggles, have good reviews for winter biking

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 11-20-17 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-20-17, 09:25 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
My eyes water like crazy at anything below 65 degrees... the colder, the more they water... add a breeze to that, and it's almost like I'm crying on the entire ride without eye protection. However, the most important reason for me to wear eye protection is to physically protect them. I've had several branches hit my riding glasses as well as falling leaves (we have a lot of trees everywhere here in the pacific northwest), plenty of bugs, and even had my glasses cracked by a small rock launched from the rear tire of a moving vehicle. I figure if I'm not going to wear eye protection, there would be no reason to wear a helmet.
Old 11-20-17, 11:17 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I agree.
Old 11-21-17, 12:38 AM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
Everywhere I've lived, including Sweden and mountainous Germany never had a reason for anything over the eyes. Even in the middle of winter.

Because I'm blind and need to wear glasses anyway.
Old 11-21-17, 12:51 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 1,374 Posts
If it's cold enough to wear the ski helmet, the goggles come with
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-21-17, 06:54 AM
dcb23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.