Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Freewheel cluster lock ring?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-19, 04:54 PM
mc510

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm assuming that this ring on top of the smallest cog is a lock ring, and that I have to remove it before I can apply my chain whips to unscrew the top cog? Haven't seen one like this before. Is there a special tool needed? Shimano fwiw.
Old 10-20-19, 05:06 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Most likely need a free wheel tool not lock ring. Those front freewheel systems used odd tools. Roger
Old 10-20-19, 05:20 PM
mc510

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, I have the freewheel tool to remove the freewheel from the wheel ... but I also want to disassemble the cluster. I'm familiar with using two chain whips to unscrew the top cog, but I'm not sure what to do with (this thing that I think is a) lock ring.

I don't think it's actually from a front freewheel system ... I didn't inspect the rest of the bike too closely when I salvaged the wheel, but it was a kids 24" dept store mtn bike styled junker, doesn't seem like a bike that would have come with front freewheel system.

Last edited by mc510; 10-20-19 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-20-19, 06:05 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Before you start, use penetrating oil and let soak awhile.

There's various style of "hook" tools, but if you aren't fussy, you an use a hammer & "chisel" and just "spin off" the lock ring.
Maybe a water pump pliers?

I hope it's for "educational purposes" only. Else just get a new one.
Old 10-20-19, 06:14 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
The tool for removing the blade on an old old (like Bill old) saw that I once had worked great on those, especially if you held it together with one hand and slammed it with a hammer in your other hand.
Old 10-21-19, 02:45 PM
mc510

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, it turned out to be too thin for a pipe wrench or parrot nose pliers to grip it, so I managed the three-handed job of hammering it off. Chain whip on the large cog to prevent freewheeling, balance wheel precariously on work bench with chain whip handle held in bench vise, then a hammer and small cold chisel got the lock ring off. It was so tight that I'm not sure that a bottom bracket type hook wrench would have even worked. Weird place for a lock ring to my thinking ... chain tension is going to tighten that top threaded cog onto the freewheel nice and tight; it's not clear to me what purpose that lock ring even serves!
Old 10-21-19, 08:37 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Glad you conquered it and hopefully didn't smash any fingers.