Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

A bit off topic - what do you do with old stuff?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 11-24-19, 09:08 PM
roadbuzz
Just ride.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This isn't necessarily vintage or classic, but hoping this forum might have useful experience or perspective.
Over the years I've accumulated a lot of parts, wheels, etc., that aren't getting much use and I'm wondering how best to dispose of them. For example, a set of late 90's Velocity rims with Dura-Ace hubs. One of the rims is cracked, and both have significant wear. I guess toss the rims and spokes and maybe e-bay the hubs? What about a pair of American Classic 420s with Sapim CX-Ray spokes on AC hubs. One rim is cracked and AC doesn't make 420s any more. Everything (other than the rim) seems too good to toss, but I can't ride (or honestly sell) a wheel with a cracked rim. Am I the only one with this problem? Thoughts? TIA.

Last edited by roadbuzz; 11-24-19 at 09:09 PM. Reason: clarifications
Old 11-24-19, 09:15 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
When I cracked a rim, I de laced it and put the hub on eBay just as you mentioned.

The majority of my extra parts are listed on eBay or Craigslist. If I find a use for them before they sell, I take down the listing. This of course means that I have to buy it again should I need it in the future, which has happened.
Old 11-25-19, 11:46 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
My wife and I try to periodically "thin" out our possessions. This takes many forms. But we do this with clothing items, wedding gifts, books, nick-nacks, or whatever. We try to remove and donate as much as we can. For clothing, if an entire year has come and gone and I haven't worn an article, it gets donated. We've done pretty well at this.

With my bike parts, I keep them organized in labeled shoe boxes by part type (e.g., derailleurs/shifters, pedals, cranksets, bar tape/plugs/ends, cable housing, etc.). If a box becomes too full, I remove a some things to donate.

Something that is non-working and unsellable is pretty easy to discard, I would think.
Old 11-25-19, 01:08 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
I've sold functioning things on craigslist, mostly bikes, frames & wheels
I've read that some ppl will donate similar functioning parts to their local bike co-ops
I recently got rid of a broken metal bike rack at a company that takes scrap metal. which was good cuz that kind of recycling/drop off is over, in my town, until the spring
Old 11-25-19, 01:31 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I donate locally, sell locally or on the C&V Forum, or trade on the C&V Forum. Anything broken or unsafe is recycled.
Old 11-27-19, 01:17 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts
The Bike Exchange is always looking for donations. If you have a local co - op they will take your stuff and probably give you a donation receipt for it. When we get donations like yours we either put them on a donation bike, a sale bike or sell them on E Bay or at our periodic sales. All money goes to supporting our program of donating bikes back in to the community. This year we are approaching 800 bikes fixed up and donated to people in need. You get a tax deduction based on your assessed valuation and you get the satisfaction of knowing that you supported a worthy cause. A win win.
Old 11-27-19, 07:44 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Give it away. Find the lowest income most disadvantaged bike cooperative in the worst side of town possible. The last donation of bikes I gave away included all the handlebar & stem sets in my avatar. Plus two complete bikes, about a dozen wheels, pedals, seats, cranks, brakes, freewheels, parts & who knows what else. The guy told me to put somewhere around $$$$omg$$$$ on the donation reciept. I didn't even file it on my fy18 taxes because of all the new fangled rules. If the bike co-op is happy I'm happy.
Old 11-28-19, 10:48 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
My wife and I try to periodically "thin" out our possessions. This takes many forms. But we do this with clothing items, wedding gifts, books, nick-nacks, or whatever. We try to remove and donate as much as we can. For clothing, if an entire year has come and gone and I haven't worn an article, it gets donated. We've done pretty well at this
Personally, I am like this too. Except that after getting married I found that my wife is the exact opposite. It has created various levels of friction in our relationship over the years. Fortunately, she doesn't care or stick her nose into anything that I do with our bikes (as long as they're running correctly) so I'm able to buy, sell and give away parts when I feel it's necessary.
Old 11-30-19, 08:11 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
Do a 90/10 cut first. 10% of your items will have 90% of the value. If you are not sure, it's OK to guess. Hubs are a lot cheaper to ship than wheels anyway.

Do this 90/10 cut a couple of times, then donate what is left. By only dealing with 10% of the pile at once, you won't be so overwhelmed with selling on ebay. And selling parts = ebay. Some can be sold here too.

Imagine having a pile of 200 items. No one has the time to research 200. So instead, you do the research on 20 of them, and create ebay listings and sell. Top of the line Japanese parts like Dura Ace, anything Campagnolo, and vintage BMX all have value. I put up a Dia Compe BMX brake caliper last week, $55. Sold in 4 minutes. I guess I priced it too low. But it had been sitting around. The money has more utility for me than a vintage BMX part.

I do this all the time.

The other rule of thumb I use if the value isn't at least worth $25, I don't bother and donate the item instead. The time it takes to create a listing, packing and shipping, its just not worth it. Creating ebay listings gets EASIER and EASIER as you "list similar" and learn the process. Watch football on Sunday? Good time to do some listings.

Also, pick your cleanest, ready to sell stuff first.

Imagine you average $50 an item for those first 20. Thats $1000 less fees. Figure 15% goes into fees. You still have $850. Nice hobby money. My average sale this year has been $48.

I've got a lot of stuff, so every week, a box or two goes to the co op, 20 items go on ebay, and some stuff goes into the recycle bin.

Last edited by wrk101; 11-30-19 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-04-19, 12:34 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked 2,175 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
Give it away. Find the lowest income most disadvantaged bike cooperative in the worst side of town possible. The last donation of bikes I gave away included all the handlebar & stem sets in my avatar. Plus two complete bikes, about a dozen wheels, pedals, seats, cranks, brakes, freewheels, parts & who knows what else. The guy told me to put somewhere around $$$$omg$$$$ on the donation reciept. I didn't even file it on my fy18 taxes because of all the new fangled rules. If the bike co-op is happy I'm happy.
That's Great...Karma is real!
Ben
Old 12-04-19, 02:00 AM
mikemikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
just keep them around?
Likes For mikemikes:
Old 12-04-19, 07:30 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I agree with the folks above saying to donate (when you can) to your local bike co-op. There is a church near me where they restore bikes and give them for free to disadvantaged children. They appreciate anything I bring by.
Regarding the stuff I keep, I have a set of Maillard Trophy hubs that came off of a Peugeot PX-10 that had been a real racing bike. The hubs were in primo condition, the rims not so much. I deconstructed the wheel and still have the hubs and am waiting for the perfect excuse to use them.

Likes For TugaDude:
Old 12-04-19, 08:43 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,041 Times in 1,250 Posts
[QUOTE=wrk101;21232910 I enjoy finding stuff, selling it, and then sharing the proceeds.[/QUOTE]

Bravo!
Likes For clubman:
Old 12-04-19, 08:55 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
There aren't any coops near me, but there is a nonprofit store that told me they don't deal with used bike parts. I bluntly told the manager that the only reason I shop the store is looking for used bike parts and she decided to go ahead and take my truckload of stuff. She was amazed at how fast the stuff sold. They take everything I bring them now but I'm always careful to make sure none of it is junk. During the tourist season around here they can't keep quality parts on the shelves and everyone wins.