Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Something nice happened that I wasn't expecting...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-15, 07:09 AM
biker86

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been riding around the same routes I've been doing everyday for like the past week and a half and haven't really seen anyone else cycling other than some kids on their BMX bikes, but recently I just happen to come across a road cyclist in full kit and with an expensive looking road bike.

What I thought was nice and wasn't expecting is when we were getting close to crossing paths on opposite sides of the road he gave a nod and a wave and I returned it. This was unexpected as there he was in full kit and expensive road bike and I'm in like regular street clothing on a mountain bike. lol

Has anything nice happened to you while you were out on a ride that you weren't expecting to happen at all?
Old 06-27-15, 07:39 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by biker86
I've been riding around the same routes I've been doing everyday for like the past week and a half and haven't really seen anyone else cycling other than some kids on their BMX bikes, but recently I just happen to come across a road cyclist in full kit and with an expensive looking road bike.

What I thought was nice and wasn't expecting is when we were getting close to crossing paths on opposite sides of the road he gave a nod and a wave and I returned it. This was unexpected as there he was in full kit and expensive road bike and I'm in like regular street clothing on a mountain bike. lol

Has anything nice happened to you while you were out on a ride that you weren't expecting to happen at all?
I had a flat once and some roadie stopped to see if I needed help, but I had it under control, but that was the first time anyone ever stopped to see if I was ok, he actually stayed around till I was finished and we ended up riding about 12 miles together.

I always stop to ask cyclists if they need help because a lot of cyclists with their expensive bikes and kits can't fix a flat yet they carry a patch kit?! Some I ran into didn't have anything with them to do anything with! So I use that time to educate them on the finer points of fixing a flat.

I always wave or say hi to passing cyclists, sometimes I get no response but most of the time they return the gesture here in Indiana and quite few times it's initiated by others first; when I use to live in California I rarely got any kind of acknowledgement.
Old 06-27-15, 09:36 AM
SpeshulEd 

Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I nod and smile at everyone, even homeless people pushing shopping carts. If I pass people going the same direction as me, I usually tell them 'morning or 'evening. The world needs more common courtesy and politeness.

Old 06-27-15, 09:46 AM
mi.tom

Bikes: 2011 Jamis Coda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
I nod and smile at everyone, even homeless people pushing shopping carts. If I pass people going the same direction as me, I usually tell them 'morning or 'evening. The world needs more common courtesy and politeness.
I do the same. Makes me feel good.
Old 06-27-15, 10:58 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Ahhhh... another wave thread.

We are in Victoria, British Columbia right now. It is a big cycling city. Bikes everywhere. We haven't seen one cyclist wave since we've been here. If a rider started waving, they would be doing it every 10 seconds... and that becomes tiresome. People just go about their business as motorists would go about there's. And I think that's great.

I think the waving thing is a part of wanting to belong when there aren't many others of the same breed about. It's like greeting a long-lost soul. But when you are part of a herd, well, forget about it.
Old 06-27-15, 11:02 AM
CoachManny

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport and 2016 Specialized Pitch 650b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cyclists nod to me all the time. Sometimes I will be walking my bike to rest a bit and cyclists will pull up besides me and ask if I'm ok if I need anything.

#ClubCycle
Old 06-27-15, 11:11 AM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first time going to the local mountain bike area another guy was unpacking his bike the same time i was (and there was a cute girl getting ready for a run). I said hi to the guy and he showed me around one of the shorter easy loops. He gave me a map too which was better than what I'd printed out from the net.
Old 06-27-15, 11:23 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I ride in jeans.
I wave to most riders I pass.

The "roadies" are more likely to at least nod to reciprocate.
Some on city bikes seem oblivious to everyone around them.
Old 06-27-15, 03:43 PM
Lnewton

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to ask if you were riding in central, rural Indiana. Your description sounds familiar to a recent ride.
Old 06-27-15, 04:18 PM
ltxi

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biker86

Met my now wife.
Old 06-27-15, 04:25 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
We are in Victoria, British Columbia right now. It is a big cycling city.
Nice time to be in Victoria!
Old 06-27-15, 06:09 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
I think the waving thing is a part of wanting to belong when there aren't many others of the same breed about. It's like greeting a long-lost soul. But when you are part of a herd, well, forget about it.
Un huh. I remember that in the mid '50s when two Volkswagens saw each other, they would either wave or wag those little plastic arms that passed for turn signals.
Old 06-27-15, 06:36 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Nermal
Un huh. I remember that in the mid '50s when two Volkswagens saw each other, they would either wave or wag those little plastic arms that passed for turn signals.
...or, people passing in their 60s Datsun pickups with a huge camper on the back, or cyclists touring the Pacific Coast highway but going north instead of south.
Old 06-27-15, 07:43 PM
bovine

Bikes: Yuba Mundo 4.3, 2007 Jake the Snake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that people in kit seem like the most likely to wave and be congenial, likely because they seem to be the most aware of their surrounding.

As to your question, I get asked pretty regularly by people (~ once a week) if they can take my picture. I like to think it's because I'm so damned good looking, but it only ever seems to happen when all three sons are on my cargo bike in their Mad Max Mohawk helmets. It's gotten to the point where my middle son responds to "That's an awesome bike!" by saying "EVERYBODY says that."

I guess the most recent example happened today when a couple of homeless men on a bus bench started chatting up my sons this morning and told them they looked like "badasses."
Old 06-27-15, 07:46 PM
aRoudy1

Bikes: Rans Stratus LE, Terra Trike Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
I don't see many cyclists on my rides; however, probably 25% of the cars I meet initiate a wave. I always wave back and I also acknowledge cars who, although they could have safely turned across my path, wait for me to pass. It helps that I live in a small town and people see me out and about nearly every day.
Old 06-27-15, 08:12 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Nice time to be in Victoria!
It was fantastic. We're in Campbell River tonight. We will wave tomorrow.
Old 06-27-15, 08:29 PM
molten

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The culture of human animals/cyclists --- to where I live&ride:
their attitude they give to another, depends on the recipient's body profile. With the exception if the recipient being a female; females always get the 100% advantage.
To a male: the male of a small-body-profile has too many odds against him in being assisted. Especially a small body profile of 30" or less. 130pds, or less in weight. OTHER ROAD RIDERS ARE TOO JEALOUS OF SUCH A ROADIE, IN ASSISTING SUCH.
Even Worse, When That Roadie Whom Need Assistance -- Has The MORE$$$$ Bike. and/or Campagnolo Wheelset.

In this area, >Narcissim is the norm.< In various formats.
Old 06-27-15, 08:30 PM
Raleigh12

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was it a guy or woman on the bike that nodded?

More and more are starting to come out of the closet now that the supreme court ruled that same sex can marry any where in the United States... LOL
Old 06-27-15, 08:45 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by Nermal
I remember in the early 60's any car that was exactly like another passing each other they waved, it wasn't exclusive to VW's. Of course the American cars were much more advance than a VW and didn't have little flags for turn signals.

Nobody does that today because all the cars look like they came out of the same cookie cutter and hence no personality and no quality.
Old 06-27-15, 09:44 PM
bovine

Bikes: Yuba Mundo 4.3, 2007 Jake the Snake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raleigh12

More and more are starting to come out of the closet now that the supreme court ruled that same sex can marry any where in the United States... LOL
Take it to P&R, imbecile.
Old 06-27-15, 11:57 PM
LoriRose

Bikes: '90 Bianchi Grizzly, '91 Look mi70, '99 RM Hammer Race

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raleigh12

Originally Posted by bovine
Take it to P&R, imbecile.
+1
Old 06-28-15, 01:02 AM
RDB

Bikes: 96 Stumpjumper M2, Fisher Montare hybrid, Trek Emonda ALR5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a wave from a guy on a bike the other day. This Guy happened to be riding a Harley Davidson Of course I waved back.

I get waves from other cyclists all the time. I think it's a common courtesy.
Old 06-28-15, 05:14 AM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by RDB
I got a wave from a guy on a bike the other day. This Guy happened to be riding a Harley Davidson Of course I waved back.

I get waves from other cyclists all the time. I think it's a common courtesy.
This reminds me of something, I was riding my Lynskey last year and some guy on a Harley pulled along side of me at a red light, I gave a little wave as he was looking at my bike, then said he: "made in America" with a thumbs up and took off as the light had turned green.

Not sure how he knew it was made in America unless he knew bike brands real well, didn't look like a cyclist type though, but one never knows.
Old 06-28-15, 07:55 AM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Supreme Court recently ruled that you can marry your bike at least in some states.

Charlie
Old 06-28-15, 08:38 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ursa Minor
The Supreme Court recently ruled that you can marry your bike at least in some states.

Charlie
But you just know, as soon as you'd do that, from that day on, your bike would be riding you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.