Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Specialized AWOL with a new bikepacking setup - sharing as promised

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-17, 04:03 PM
smilyanp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I promised to share some photos once I improve my setup on the new Specialized AWOL that I got sometime ago.

I've used ALPKIT dry bags and a framebag and handlebar harness from RESTRAP. Both are UK based, small companies. Restrap makes their stuff by hand and really though. The ALPKIT ones I've had for some time.

The only thing left is to add another bottle or "container" under the frame where the pump is staying at the moment. And the bigger investment is a dynamo hub with a Plug III stem for complete self-reliance.

All comments welcome, I hope you enjoy it. It's not the final, but the bigger chunk of the decisions and elements are there. I assume it will keep changing as I find better ways of doing things.

Old 09-21-17, 05:03 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,371 Times in 720 Posts
What size panniers are going to be used?
Old 09-21-17, 05:09 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Very tight & nice!

Camping? Nothing on your back I hope!
Old 09-21-17, 05:56 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
makes me want to go on a tour tonight!
Old 09-21-17, 06:04 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by smilyanp
All comments welcome, I hope you enjoy it. It's not the final, but the bigger chunk of the decisions and elements are there. I assume it will keep changing as I find better ways of doing things.
Nice looking rig. I consider my ECR an ever-changing work. Constantly upgrading and renewing, refreshing, and reworking. Always in motion. Sounds to me like you have the right philosophy.
Old 09-22-17, 12:55 AM
smilyanp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
Very tight & nice!

Camping? Nothing on your back I hope!
Yes, I don't like to have stuff on my back. I try to put everything on the bike to carry the weight.

Thanks for the commenta, I am very excited ro give it an overnight ride in the next few weekends!
Old 09-22-17, 01:57 AM
checoles

Bikes: Tern Link A7 Folding Bike, Marin Gestalt 2019

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love Alpkit and Restrap. Don't know if the Americans get that stuff over there though?
Nice to see a fellow Yorkshireman!
(I am East Yorkshire though, so we can't be friends until we meet a Lancashireman)

Lovely bike/kit. Get over to the East Coast. I can highly recommend Mappleton or Spurn Point if you fancy a coastal camp out.
Old 09-22-17, 02:17 AM
smilyanp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
What size panniers are going to be used?
No panniers for now (if I'm going on a longer winter-ish trip I can add the smaller 12l front panniers).

The handlebar harness holds a quilt, sleeping matt and a tent + a warm jacket.

The saddlebag can get much bigger than shown in the photo and will hold evening clothes for off the bike and sleeping, waterproofs, medical kit.

The frame bag will be electronics, wallet, bike tools and spares and some food, gloves, hat.

I will be wearing the cycling ones on me during the day.
Old 09-22-17, 10:17 AM
skimaxpower

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No panniers for now...
Then why keep the weight of the rear cargo rack? Remove it?
Old 09-22-17, 10:43 AM
danmyersmn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
I put a dynamo on my AWOL and loved it. I skipped the Plug for both Dynamo builds I did and went with a B&M Lumotec USB. You can pick it up on your side of the pond for cheaper than the plug from what I have found. Rose Bikes might be a great place to look for you. You get the USB charging, built in battery and a light. It's a pretty nice piece.
Old 09-22-17, 10:47 AM
smilyanp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skimaxpower
Then why keep the weight of the rear cargo rack? Remove it?
Just haven't gotten to it yet and use it to hold the lock on rides around the city.
Old 09-22-17, 10:47 AM
smilyanp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by danmyersmn
I put a dynamo on my AWOL and loved it. I skipped the Plug for both Dynamo builds I did and went with a B&M Lumotec USB. You can pick it up on your side of the pond for cheaper than the plug from what I have found. Rose Bikes might be a great place to look for you. You get the USB charging, built in battery and a light. It's a pretty nice piece.
Awesome info, thanks for that! Recommendations on dynamos?
Old 09-22-17, 11:00 AM
danmyersmn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
This is what I bought. I also had to go find a matching rear wheel because...well because https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...5B1906%5D=1908
Old 09-22-17, 04:05 PM
Timequake

Bikes: 1982 Univega Gran Turismo

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks great! I've never seen a white AWOL before. Only the matte black ones, but I haven't been looking to closely. I really dig it. I'm sure you'll have many fun adventures with this bike.
Old 09-22-17, 04:46 PM
BigFinner

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That saddle bag looks massive? does it not cause your thighs to rub against it when pedaling? I have a tiny wedge seat pack I use and my wife has a slightly larger one than mine and she complains about it.

What kind of saddle is that? Looks like the concorde and a seat had a baby, ha. Just wondering as I am going to be needing a new one and I'm curious about it and how you like it?
Old 09-23-17, 12:01 AM
Timequake

Bikes: 1982 Univega Gran Turismo

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigFinner
That saddle bag looks massive? does it not cause your thighs to rub against it when pedaling?
Well you see, when riding a bicycle, you actually sit on the seat not the rear rack. So no, it won't rub against his thighs.
Old 09-23-17, 12:29 PM
smilyanp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigFinner
That saddle bag looks massive? does it not cause your thighs to rub against it when pedaling? I have a tiny wedge seat pack I use and my wife has a slightly larger one than mine and she complains about it.

What kind of saddle is that? Looks like the concorde and a seat had a baby, ha. Just wondering as I am going to be needing a new one and I'm curious about it and how you like it?
Hey BigFinner,

The pack gets quite big, I think it's about 8L or a bit more. I have never actually filled it to capacity, but will be doing so in the coming trips as it will be part of the setup (usually I use it for day rides).

It doesn't really touch my thighs, but there are different ways of packing it. The part near the seatpost is a bit thicker and harder, so it doesn't "bloat" and expand. But I usually pack some rigid stuff at the back first, tools, etc. and then the clothes that can expand the pack more. This way it doesn't touch at all. Moreover, the legs don't really extend so much (I keep an angle in the knee in the lowest position), so the thigh is far from the bag overall. But good question, that's a common problem with these bags and before buying one you should always read reviews, people generally mention that as one of the first things.

The saddle

It is absolutely amazing, I love it. I had done about 4-5 thousand kilometres before that on a cheap saddle that a previous bike came with and the suffering I've gone through is indescribable. I was a noob, so I thought it is just me, but damn this new saddle made me re-discover cycling. I can now easily do 80-100km without real pain or suffering in the backside.

The model is either SELLE SMP PRO or just SELLE SMP. I am not sure, it doesn't really say on it and I forgot. Here is a link to the pro version: https://www.mantel.com/uk/selle-smp-pro-saddle

Mark Beaumont, the brit that just made a new world record for around the world cycling swears by it (at least in his first record, not sure what he's using now). From my experience - I recommend it. I didn't go for the Brooks as I didn't want to have to worry and maintain them, but I know others swear by them as well.
Old 09-23-17, 01:09 PM
smilyanp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timequake
Looks great! I've never seen a white AWOL before. Only the matte black ones, but I haven't been looking to closely. I really dig it. I'm sure you'll have many fun adventures with this bike.
Hey Timequake, this one is Specialized AWOL Elite 2016. I think it was a limited batch, the others are more common, you're right, but I got this one as an ex-display with about 40% discount and couldn't miss the opportunity. So far I love it. I try to cycle every weekend and am training for longer distances. Can't get enough. It is brilliant both on and off the road. I've done some farm roads, dirt tracks, pure fields and grass, no problem. It's great on the road as well. I literally put on Google Maps - "Get me to X as a "bike"" and it start throwing all sorts of roads at me. With this bike I really don't care, I love exploring them.
Old 09-23-17, 03:50 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

I may have to spend the bux to get one of those saddles. It looks like it would totally eliminate the "dinkbone-taint disturbance" I get from riding aero bars.

*Rides off into the sunset humming a mutated version of "freeballin" with Tom Petty overnotes.*
Old 09-23-17, 08:19 PM
BigFinner

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi smilyanp,

Thats really interesting about the saddle. I'll have to look into it for sure!

Originally Posted by NoControl
*Rides off into the sunset humming a mutated version of "freeballin" with Tom Petty overnotes.*
Ha, I have my own little mutated version with the words "freeballin" as well. Wonder how many other guys out there also have their own.
Old 09-24-17, 10:35 AM
smilyanp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I may have to spend the bux to get one of those saddles. It looks like it would totally eliminate the "dinkbone-taint disturbance" I get from riding aero bars.

Hahaha )

Which aero bars are you using? And do you like them?

I am considering getting them as I am into longer distances (aiming to do over 200km days) and I can feel how my hands are starting to get sore after 5 hours on the bike.
Old 09-24-17, 12:30 PM
BobbyMo

Bikes: Specialized AWOL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike looks great. Nice job. (Fellow AWOL owner.) Let us know about your future adventures.
Old 09-25-17, 03:41 AM
smilyanp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyMo
Bike looks great. Nice job. (Fellow AWOL owner.) Let us know about your future adventures.
Will do! You can follow me on Strava as well: https://www.strava.com/athletes/24995143

I am training for a 300km (~185 miles) on my birthday next April. I am an amateur and am learning a lot by trial and error, however still enjoying the process.
Old 09-25-17, 07:03 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Hahaha )

Which aero bars are you using? And do you like them?

I am considering getting them as I am into longer distances (aiming to do over 200km days) and I can feel how my hands are starting to get sore after 5 hours on the bike.
These are the ones I am using right now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like them. They are rather lightweight - considering that they are alloy - but they are robust as well. Infinitely adjustable.
Old 09-25-17, 09:49 AM
smilyanp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are the ones I am using right now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like them. They are rather lightweight - considering that they are alloy - but they are robust as well. Infinitely adjustable.
Awesome, these are the ones I was looking at as well because of the extra adjustability. Can you send a photo of your setup?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.