Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Ontario Coroner's Review of Cycling Deaths and Rcommendations

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Ontario Coroner's Review of Cycling Deaths and Rcommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-12, 06:45 PM
lungdoc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ontario Coroner's Review of Cycling Deaths and Recommendations

Published this week, interesting reading, analysis of 129 cycling deaths on Ontario between 2006 and 2010. Available in full here.

A few points from the summary:
One way to promote cycling is to take steps to enhance safety for cyclists. Not only is such an approach logical, it has been proven to be effective in a number of jurisdictions around the world6. A few examples:
Studies in Denmark have shown that providing segregated bicycle tracks or lanes alongside urban roads reduced deaths among cyclists by 35%7.
In the state of Victoria, Australia, a new law requiring helmets in 1990 increased the use of helmets from 31% to 75% within one year and was associated with a 51% reduction in head injuries to cyclists8.
In the United Kingdom, fatalities and injuries among cyclists colliding with heavy trucks decreased by 5.7% and 13.2%, respectively, after the introduction of truck side-guards. Fatalities among cyclists who collided with the sides of these trucks were reduced by 61%
Executive Summary
The Office of the Chief Coroner conducted a detailed review of accidental cycling deaths in Ontario for the period beginning January 1st, 2006 and ending December 31st, 2010.
There were 129 deaths examined in this Cycling Death Review.
86% (111 of 129) of those killed while cycling were male.
Approximately two-thirds (84 of 129; 65%), of fatal cycling collisions took place in an urban environment, with the other one-third (45 of 129; 35%) occurring in a rural setting.
The peak age for cycling deaths was 45-54 years; over half of cycling fatalities (66 of 129; 51%) occurred in persons aged 45 and older.
Children represented a smaller, but significant, portion of cycling deaths. A total of 19 deaths (15%) occurred in those aged 19 and under; 8 of those (6%) were in children aged 14 or under.
Numbers of cycling fatalities in Ontario declined each year from 2006 (41) to 2009 (14), but rose again (to 25) in 2010.
The peak months for cycling fatalities were July, August and September (46%).
A total of 96 of the 129 deaths (74%) occurred in the Spring and Summer months.
The vast majority of cycling deaths occurred during clear weather, on dry roads, with good visibility.
More than half (69 of 129; 53%), of the fatal cycling collisions occurred in daylight conditions.
The peak time for fatal collisions (25 of 129; 19%) occurred between 8:00 pm and 10:00 pm.
Only 27% (35 of 129) of those who died as the result of a cycling collision were wearing a helmet. Despite mandatory legislation, only 44% (7 of 16) of cyclists under the age of 18 who died were wearing a helmet. Those cyclists whose cause of death included a head injury were three times less likely to be wearing a helmet than those who died of other types of injuries.
In cases where the type of cycling activity was known, 63% of fatal collisions occurred during recreational activities, and 31% during commuting. The balance represented sport cycling activities, either solo or in a group setting.
In 44 cases, contributing factors on the part of the cyclist alone were identified. In 33 cases, contributing factors on the part of the driver of a vehicle alone were identified. In 48 cases, contributing factors were identified on the part of both the cyclist and the driver. In three cases, the circumstances of the collision were unclear.
Our recommendations include:
Adoption of a “complete streets” approach – focused on the safety of all road users - to guide the redevelopment of existing communities and the design of new communities throughout Ontario.
Development of an Ontario Cycling Plan to guide the development of policy, legislation and regulations and the commitment of infrastructure funding to support cycling in Ontario.
A comprehensive cycling safety public awareness and education strategy, starting in public schools, and continuing through the purchase of every new and used bicycle and through driver’s license testing.
Legislative change (Highway Traffic Act (HTA); Municipal Act; relevant Municipal By-Laws) aimed at ensuring clarity and consistency regarding interactions between cyclists and other road users.
Strategies to promote and support helmet use for cyclists of all ages.
Implementation of mandatory helmet legislation for cyclists of all ages, within the context of an evaluation of the impact of this legislation on cycling activity.
Establishment of a “one-meter” rule for vehicles when passing cyclists.
Prioritizing the development of paved shoulders on provincial highways.
Mandatory side-guards for heavy trucks.
Enforcement, education and public safety activities targeted to the specific issues of cycling safety identified in a given community.
Old 06-21-12, 11:21 PM
beebe
Probably Injured

Bikes: Kona Paddywagon, Surly Crosscheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you. That was very interesting.
Old 06-22-12, 10:42 AM
dimachka

Bikes: Giant TCX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beebe
Thank you. That was very interesting.
agreed
Old 06-22-12, 01:24 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I went to a presentation recently where different breakdowns were used. The largest group of "reportable incidents", (ones were police reports were written), I believe about 35%, involved cyclist riding against traffic. Riding on sidewalks was also a significant cause.
Old 06-22-12, 03:52 PM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Faulty statistics in the description of the introductin of helmet law in Australia. It is true that there was a large reduction in the number of head injuries. There was, however, an even greater fall in the nember of leg and arm injuries during the same period.

The most likely explanation for this peculiar phenomenon was that the "WEAR A HELMET OR YOU WILL DIE!" message was that the number of people cycling fell because cycling was then considered more dangerous than it was before the introduction of the helmet law
Old 06-26-12, 08:12 AM
supernovae

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atbman

The most likely explanation for this peculiar phenomenon was that the "WEAR A HELMET OR YOU WILL DIE!" message was that the number of people cycling fell because cycling was then considered more dangerous than it was before the introduction of the helmet law
i don't buy this..

I can guarantee you 100%, without a doubt and in absolute certain terms that while riding a bike, one day, you will get hurt. Some parents absolutely fear that and let it get to their heads and become overly protective of their kids and freak out over safety concerns but reality is, you're going to crash and the helmet is a cheap way to be a bit less at risk of head injury.

But any good parent already knows their kids are going to get hurt, have blood spill and maybe break a few bones, its part of growing up. The best thing anyone could do is teach their kids to ride responsibly, not shelter them from the truth and be a part of their lives, including riding with them and showing them the ropes.

sadly, in many municipalities restricting cyclists with sometimes absurd safety laws is seen as the "easy" route - instead of upholding existing laws to protect our freedoms, they make "laws" to help keep us out of "harms way" as they see it. Either way, i can't see helmet laws as being that wedge issue.

The scary thing of kids riding bikes is the teenagers who turn without looking, the kids who don't understand traffic rules and how people don't pay attention to them, the people who steal bikes, the people who throw thinkgs at bikers, the people who like to honk and scare the bejeezus out of cyclists..

ironically my kids LOVE their helmets and they get to choose one with a bit of personality
Old 06-26-12, 06:07 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Faulty statistics in the description of the introductin of helmet law in Australia. It is true that there was a large reduction in the number of head injuries. There was, however, an even greater fall in the nember of leg and arm injuries during the same period.

Helmet law = fewer cyclist = fewer cycling injuries and death, but higher heart disease rates

Last edited by CB HI; 06-26-12 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-26-12, 06:47 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Helmet law = fewer cyclist = fewer cycling injuries and death, but higher heart desease rates
You should have stopped at "Helmet law = fewer cyclist = fewer cycling injuries and death." Your guesswork/wishful thinking about a heart disease/cycling relationship is just like the coroner's fabricating "facts" to fit an agenda.
Old 06-26-12, 09:35 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You should have stopped at "Helmet law = fewer cyclist = fewer cycling injuries and death." Your guesswork/wishful thinking about a heart disease/cycling relationship is just like the coroner's fabricating "facts" to fit an agenda.
Sounds like you only accept the facts that you like. There is sufficient research data demonstrating that regular exercise, including cycling, reduces heart disease.
Old 06-26-12, 09:46 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Your guesswork/wishful thinking about a heart disease/cycling relationship is just like the coroner's fabricating "facts" to fit an agenda.
I have no reason to believe that any of the facts given by the coroner's report are inaccurate, therefore putting the word facts into quotes seems inappropriate.

That said, while I do believe the facts given are accurate, I also believe that as given the helmet statistics are likely to be misleading. In particular, while the statement "Only 27% (35 of 129) of those who died as the result of a cycling collision were wearing a helmet" is likely to be accurate, by itself this statistic tells us nothing about the effectiveness of helmets. After all, what if only 7% of cyclists wore helmets but 27% of those who died were wearing them? That would suggest (but not prove) that helmets quadruple your chance of death!

Statistics are tricky things to get right in many situations, and people often stop trying to get them right as soon as they come up with something to support their agenda -- that much is true. But that said ... I still have no reason to believe that these facts given are inaccurate -- they just have the potential to be misunderstood (and in the case of how the helmet use statistics are given, they may be encouraging that potential.)
Old 06-26-12, 09:46 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts

This is not a combative question: do you have statistics that support this idea or is it just a theory?
Old 06-27-12, 12:34 AM
Greyryder
Powerful-Ugly Creature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
This is not a combative question: do you have statistics that support this idea or is it just a theory?
cycle-helmets.org has the numbers, and that's exactly what they show. In some places in Australia, the number of people who stopped riding were roughly twice the number listed for the reduction in head injuries. I posted it in one of the older hekmet threads once, but it was dismissed for being "too old."
Old 06-27-12, 04:33 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Sounds like you only accept the facts that you like. There is sufficient research data demonstrating that regular exercise, including cycling, reduces heart disease.
Fewer cyclists/less cycling does NOT equate to less regular exercise.

Your "facts/conclusions" on the negative health effects of less cycling is agenda driven guesswork and supposition, just like the coroner's agenda driven guesswork and supposition about the health/safety benefits of helmets.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 06-27-12 at 04:41 AM.
Old 06-27-12, 05:24 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I would be interested to know these stats of the accidents:

In how many accidents the bike was hit from behind? how many from the side? how many head-on collisions?

Then, the same stats for fatal accidents.