Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Time for a New Crank

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Time for a New Crank

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-23, 03:13 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Time for a New Crank

This is the drive side arm from a Campagnolo Nuovo Record crank.

I didn't know they were detachable but I just found out - they are!

I was heading uphill, crossing Pacific Coast Highway, pedaling hard, the light having just turned green. It separated from the bike without warning and dumped me (pretty hard) onto the roadway.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 07-13-23 at 03:19 PM.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 07-13-23, 03:15 PM
Bad Lag

I have an old Sugino Mighty Comp I can use for now but (obviously) I need a new crank.

It is marked as 170 STRADA (4) (the number 4 inside a circle).
Old 07-13-23, 03:22 PM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 149 Posts
That is where they tend to break, with small cracks visible at the inside of the radius of the corner. I have one that I’m monitoring at the moment, after seeing this I should probably switch it out.
Old 07-13-23, 03:32 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 416 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3827 Post(s)
Liked 3,377 Times in 2,204 Posts
-----

sure hope you were not hurt when this event occurred!

forum member bulgie has a sobering page on his site showing a collection of failed components & frames -

​​​​​​Broken Bikes & Parts

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 07-13-23, 03:43 PM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by velomateo
That is where they tend to break, with small cracks visible at the inside of the radius of the corner. I have one that I’m monitoring at the moment, after seeing this I should probably switch it out.
I would advise that if you can see a hairline crack, the crank is toast. I did not see any cracks in mine last time I looked. Still, it failed under load (200+ pounder, large gears, accelerating away from being stopped).
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 07-13-23, 04:12 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
I have an old Sugino Mighty Comp I can use for now but (obviously) I need a new crank.

It is marked as 170 STRADA (4) (the number 4 inside a circle).
one really needs to inspect these things, my suspicion is that the fracture face will not all be clean, but will show one or more darker regions. Those darker areas are where is was fractured before failure.
the cracks that appear at the root of the inclusive angle between the art and the two chainring arms really need to be filed back to clean metal. A chainsaw chain file, fine with a constant diameter is my preferred tool.
Likes For repechage:
Old 07-13-23, 04:14 PM
repechage

Cannot edit, but PCH is a dangerous highway.
Likes For repechage:
Old 07-13-23, 04:46 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,278 Times in 674 Posts
these parts have a history of cracking / fretting at the thin part where the drive side arm joins the spider arms.

they can crack at the pedal eye too. I have seen both.

Remember these parts are approaching 50 years old. you may not know how they were treated by previous owners.

if you're going to run Campy Record / NR cranks, it is important that you keep an eye on them in the known problem areas..

OP went down but it could have been much worse. Glad he is OK.

The very last revision of these parts (1985?) had a slightly revised forging that may have mitigated the propensity to crack somewhat.

Lets be careful out there.

/markp

Last edited by mpetry912; 07-13-23 at 04:56 PM.
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 07-13-23, 05:15 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,591 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
the cracks that appear at the root of the inclusive angle between the art and the two chainring arms really need to be filed back to clean metal. A chainsaw chain file, fine with a constant diameter is my preferred tool.
An argument can be made for filing that thin web of metal as a preventative measure too. No need to wait for a crack to appear.

The thin web of metal at that junction of the arm and the spider is prone to developing cracks. Once the cracks start, they can propagate without being easily visible. With the thin part of the web removed, the stress is less concentrated and it is less likely for cracks to start.

Here's a shot of one of my Campy Record cranks with the web filed (with a chainsaw file... they really work well for this).

It's not just the Campy Record crank that is prone to this failure... any crank manufactured with the same process and the same thin webs is a potential victim. I've filed my Sugino AT cranks for this reason. Here's one of them:

Even with this preventative measure, it's prudent to take a close look at them periodically and check for crack formation.

My secondary method to avoid cracks is to be thin and not very powerful, but I recognize that this isn't for everyone.

Steve in Peoria
Old 07-13-23, 05:47 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 863 Posts
I used to race on the same team as Jim Elliott (several-time RAAM competitor). Jim was a very tall guy - we said (half in jest) we couldn't draft him because the wind shadow was well above us (plus, he was a bit squirrelly). As I recall, Jim broke several sets of Record cranks in the 1980s, when fatigue and age wouldn't have been as much of a factor.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 07-13-23, 05:54 PM
repechage

Here is a crank that when purchased - part of a project bike, had the cracks starting.
phase 1 material removal shown- note that the filing is not just flat across but sweeps around.

the very first Campagnolo Cranks had a circumferential slot centered about the BB spindle bore between the arms.
was probably a devil to machine way back so was dropped.

Likes For repechage:
Old 07-13-23, 06:03 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
I had a Stronglight 93 crank that cracked in the same place, so it's not limited to Campy.
Old 07-13-23, 06:20 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1649 Post(s)
Liked 845 Times in 551 Posts
I read somewhere that Stronglight actually used a softer aluminum alloy for thrir cranksets in the 80's, to avoid cracking.
Mavic also had cracking problems at the spider with their pre-starfish cranksets. Maybe that's why they came out with the starfish design which has a lot more material at the spider.....
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 07-13-23, 07:55 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,278 Times in 674 Posts
Stronglights are very soft. They are easy to split because the crank bolt never tightens up.

I don't trust them anymore either

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 07-13-23, 08:47 PM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Thinking in terms of the engineering history, it would be interesting to know if the average dimensions (height, weight, etc.) of athletes was taken into account when designing such parts. Or it could simply be, “Luigi keeps breaking the cranks, make them thicker.” 😆

Average heights per country by decade are not too hard to find (see link below). Weight data is not easy to find, but BMI is. As you may expect, Americans are a little taller and heavier than French and Italian men, and the numbers generally go up during the previous decades.

Heights of Americans, French, and Italian men by decade

Important: My post here is only regarding factors of engineering design. Please continue to enjoy bicycling whatever your individual statistics may be.
Old 07-14-23, 05:43 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked 1,335 Times in 787 Posts
Here is a crank that when purchased - part of a project bike, had the cracks starting.
phase 1 material removal shown- note that the filing is not just flat across but sweeps around.
I'd be having a *very* good look at this line your crank:

Old 07-14-23, 05:50 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked 1,335 Times in 787 Posts
Any crank I get that has such a sharp corner at the high-stress junction between the arm and spider gets it rounded.

I use files first, but after that do this: charge a bit of line with polishing compound, hold one end in the vice and pull the other tight by hand; run the corners you filed back-and-forth the line until they have a nice smooth suface.
Files will leave small marks, and that's where cracks start.
Old 07-14-23, 07:46 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by oneclick
I'd be having a *very* good look at this line your crank:

it’s dirty. When I clean it up a business nearby will run a non destructive test for cracks. I have to note that the machining of this 1975 arm is meh, there are undercuts in the profile, dull tool marks in the arm flute also, not one of Tullio’s best efforts.
Old 07-14-23, 02:29 PM
Bad Lag

Well, I managed to remove the broken crank and replace it with an old Sugino Mighty Comp I have (vintage 1973).

I went looking for a replacement Campagnolo crank. They are out there, at least they are on ebay. The thing is, I don't have (and don't want) an ebay account.

I'm looking for some sort of online/retail seller who takes credit cards.

Later today, I will post some images of the two halves of the broken interface.

Right now, I'm going for a ride. It's 70 degrees, sunny and a cool breeze is blowing in off the ocean. Yeah, I am outta here, dudes!
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 07-15-23, 04:08 PM
repechage

This is one version of the no flute cranks that Campagnolo made late to address the fatigue issue. This appears in the forging, others appear CNC milled.

from bikerecyclery, lone arm 172.5, $174 plus ship.
Likes For repechage:
Old 07-15-23, 04:22 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 2,311 Times in 1,292 Posts
I have filed a couple of sets with a tapered round file and check them periodically . The crack did not return. I have done some climbing on those bikes with no witness of any more cracking.
Old 07-15-23, 05:55 PM
steelbikeguy

This is one version of the no flute cranks that Campagnolo made late to address the fatigue issue. This appears in the forging, others appear CNC milled.

from bikerecyclery, lone arm 172.5, $174 plus ship.
wow!
that is a huge improvement!
I wonder how much warranty they paid out over the years for breaks at the junction of the arm & spider? Or did they claim that breaks were due to abuse or excessive use?

Steve in Peoria
Old 07-15-23, 06:09 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by cyclic_eric
Thinking in terms of the engineering history, it would be interesting to know if the average dimensions (height, weight, etc.) of athletes was taken into account when designing such parts. Or it could simply be, “Luigi keeps breaking the cranks, make them thicker.” 😆

I don't know, but I would guess that the answer is #2... "Luigi keeps breaking the cranks..."

To be fair/reasonable, the bike industry wasn't much for good engineering in terms of stress and strain calculations. We wouldn't be breaking so many Campy seatpost binder bolts, etc., if they were. The amount of data on customers was pretty minimal back in the 60's and 70's too. Big industries, like autos and aviation, presumably had better data, at least in terms of making stuff fit the majority of customers.

There's also the competing goal of making parts as light as possible, combined with the assumption that racers will be fairly light, but powerful. Not sure how well that matches with the loads generated by heavy and low-power recreational riders.

Having watched the military aviation industry over some time, I know that they do a lot of analysis up front and tons of testing of the final item, but still get caught with the customer using the aircraft in ways that they didn't expect, and early failures showing up as a result. The early F-18 Hornets ended up with early cracking at the base of the rudders, requiring some external gussets being added, as well as a strake added to leading edge extension to break up the vortices that were hitting the rudders during high AOA flight.

we now return you to the bike-oriented content that you tuned in for...

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 07-16-23, 11:42 PM
Bad Lag

This very busy weekend is now over but I did manage to order a replacement crank set via ebay.

My fingers are crossed regarding product quality but also that no one hacks my card or accounts.

I may request a new Mastercard account number.
Old 07-17-23, 04:06 PM
Bad Lag

For the Mechanics here:

I forgot to mention, there was a sizeable difference between where the Campagnolo and Sugino cranks sat on the spindle. The difference was large enough to require a readjustment of the front derailleur.

Otherwise I would give up my two highest gears and the chain falls off when going to the small ring. - the Sugino sits THAT much farther outboard than the Campgnolo. Bottom bracket is a Phil from about 1978.

I love riding this bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.