Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Food/Bars while cycling

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Food/Bars while cycling

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-15, 11:40 AM
shona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Food/Bars while cycling

I am tired of all my Cliff Bars, Lara Bars, etc. I am looking for recipes for bars or balls. Does anybody make their own?
Old 08-02-15, 12:22 PM
Fireman7875

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Team, 2008 Fuji SL1, 2010 Fuji SST 1.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sometimes make PB&J to carry with me. I smash it down as flat as I can then cut it into quarters. Wrap each quarter individually in foil. They are easy to unwrap and eat while riding. Plus, they are compact and provide great riding fuel.
Old 08-02-15, 12:36 PM
Al Criner

Bikes: 2009 Surly Cross Check Frankenbike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There are many recipes online for DIY sports drinks and nutrition bars, you can google these. Don't forget you can always carry real food of all kinds like sandwiches, pastries, nuts, Pop Tarts, bagels, cookies, potato chips, etc.
Old 08-02-15, 12:41 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Dried apricots and salted almonds work great, if you don't mind they're inexpensive and lack flashy packages.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-02-15, 01:24 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Dried apricots and salted almonds work great, if you don't mind they're inexpensive and lack flashy packages.
Dried fruit is a great source of QUICK energy.

Take a Medjool date, cut it open, remove pit, using fingers make halves into a scoop, fill one half with peanut butter the other half with some chocolate chips, raisins, chopped nuts....whatever, put halves together, wrap in foil. Very naturally sweet, stay VERY moist, instant energy from the date, protein from PB and the chewing satisfies the needed action for many people where sucking down a gel just doesn't do it.
Old 08-02-15, 02:41 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
I make granola bars (crunchy and chewy)

Also things like rice cakes directly from the Portables cookbook. Any some things "inspired by" the Portables cookbook (Coconut Rice Balls with Chocolate and Sea Salt).

I got all my recipes via google and the cookbook I purchased.

Granola bar #1 is Ina Garten's from the FoodNetwork. Sorry I can't google & link, I'm on a cell phone and all I'm getting is the mobile site.

Granola bar #2 is Mark Bitmans Chewy Granola Bar recipe. I've never had anyone that didn't comment that these were anything less than fabulous. They are also highly caloric, around 350 cal each the way I make them. I take them on epic rides where I'll really need the calories. The granola I use is homemade, also a Mark Bittman recipe.

I cut and individually wrap all this stuff and pull it out of the freezer as needed.
Old 08-03-15, 06:10 AM
Wesley36

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the Feed Zone Portables

Top Off Your Tank with Bite-Sized Power: Try Chocolate & Sea Salt Sticky Bites | The Feed Zone
Old 08-04-15, 10:39 AM
Strange

Bikes: Rossignoli

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
My connundrum

Any recipes for fuel that aren't loaded with sugars and simple carbs? I have Type II DM and need to avoid high glycemic stuff but still need fuel for extended exercise. This question has been vexing me for some time.
Old 08-04-15, 10:56 AM
LoriRose

Bikes: '90 Bianchi Grizzly, '91 Look mi70, '99 RM Hammer Race

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Strange
Any recipes for fuel that aren't loaded with sugars and simple carbs? I have Type II DM and need to avoid high glycemic stuff but still need fuel for extended exercise. This question has been vexing me for some time.
nut butter on whole grain bread?

I make muesli bars with oatmeal, a mix of seeds, dried cranberries and raisins with nut butter and raw honey. Though I'm having a hard time getting them to not fall apart without using too much honey.
Old 08-04-15, 12:31 PM
Strange

Bikes: Rossignoli

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Lori responds: nut butter on whole grain bread?

I make muesli bars with oatmeal, a mix of seeds, dried cranberries and raisins with nut butter and raw honey. Though I'm having a hard time getting them to not fall apart without using too much honey.

Good suggestions. I'm a hog for almond butter, and whole grain bread is a possibility. I need to do more razvedka on dried fruit -- I'm crackers for that stuff (particularly dried cherries) but I need to check up on the glycemic index and determine amounts accordingly.

One of the things about DM that really grasses me is having to think about every freaking thing I eat before I even put it in my mouth. 8^#
Old 08-04-15, 10:30 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Rowan and I use granola bars. Our grocery store has a large selection ... shelves full of various kinds ... and there are certain ones we really like.

They are a whole lot more tasty and less expensive than energy bars.

We have also used oatmeal raisin or oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I made some a few times, but otherwise they can be purchased in the bakery section of the grocery store.

Salted almonds and dried apricots are great because you'll get all your electrolytes in with calories.

Some people swear by fig newtons.
Old 08-04-15, 10:37 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Oatmeal cookies. Simple and delicious.