Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Need advice on a spin bike

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-15, 02:40 PM
Strange

Bikes: Rossignoli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts

I've searched the fora on various terms relating to spin bikes but either my search fu is weak or this hasn't been covered. Actually that's not true -- I did find a couple of spin bike reviews, but they were from so long ago that they're no longer current.

I'm not a cyclist per se but I'm interested in using an indoor bike for interval training as an adjunct to my regular hill walking training. What I want is something that feels as much like a real bike as possible, has smooth graduated resistance, is reasonably quiet, and is built to last. So far the two that have caught my eye are the Phantom 1 Indoor Cycle - CycleOps and the KEISER.COM » machines » M_Series » m_Series » M3_Indoor_Cycle. The Keiser has mag resistance, which is spozed to be quiet and wear-free, but it uses a fixed flywheel. The Phantom, on the other hand, has a freewheel, but uses friction for resistance. Fortunately both appear to accommodate aftermarket seats & pedals.

Are there other spin bikes in this class that I've missed?

I'm particularly interested in hearing from those who own and use spin bikes -- gimme the good, the bad, and the ugly. This is a non-trivial purchase for me, and I'd like to make a wise choice.
Old 08-05-15, 09:09 AM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I have one of these: Diamondback Fitness 2014 Best Buy! 510Ic Indoor Cycle Trainer FREE SHIPPING!
The wife and I both use it and we have had very little issues with it (seat adjustment lever stripped). I have put a saddle on it that I can use and we have been happy with it so far. It is magnetic and very quiet.

It is tough to figure out exactly what one needs in a spin bike. A weighted fixed flywheel is pretty standard stuff. Usually those types will have a brake if you come to a complete stop doing intervals. This past winter we both did HIIT and extended rides on the spin bike. The magnetic resistance takes a few seconds to reach the set number (as ours is electronic), but you can get that rhythm down fairly easily.

Lastly, I personally would have gotten the Keiser if I had the ability to spend the money. But, I am very happy with the Diamondback Fitness unit for half or less than half the price, but I doubt anything will feel exactly like riding on the road. This thing did get us in better shape to tackle our first real year of riding though as we now have about 1300 miles on the road.
Old 08-05-15, 09:55 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Strange

I'm particularly interested in hearing from those who own and use spin bikes -- gimme the good, the bad, and the ugly. This is a non-trivial purchase for me, and I'd like to make a wise choice.
I've used perhaps a dozen different spin bikes - don't ask. I did not like the feel of the Keiser at all, but my preference is for bikes that emulate the feel of a real bike. I have not used the Phantom 1, but I like that profile alot....it would be on my list to try. I am not a fan of the mag resistance, if the Keiser is a fair example the resistance feels artificial and annoying, I'd go for friction. For me, the drop bar configuration vs the bull horn hi-rise front is important, I can not get in a realistic riding position on those hi rise spin bikes. Also, Q factor, or how wide the crank, is important to me; as I recall the Keiser was much different than a road bike...more like a beach cruiser.

If I was picking in the blind, I'd probably opt for Lemond revMaster though I don't like the bars. They are quality built workhorses, but somewhat low tech, stale design. I notice the Phantom 1 mentions the drive is out of the sweat zone, that's smart. If you are a sweater you will be showering the bike and that's going to get nasty over time. The bike I'm using has a watt/power meter, but I don't consider it much of a preference item - in fact all the electric stuff is a total waste for me. Chances are I have a spinervals or sufferfest video on, I am not looking at the bike computer.

I'd like to try that Phantom 1. If you buy it leave us a review.
Old 08-05-15, 01:17 PM
Strange

Thanks for the responses, folks. Good gouge.

I think at this point my next step is to hit the local gyms and try out as many different brands & model as I can. I won't really be able to make a fully informed choice without actually trying the bikes first.

Stay tuned for an AAR...
Old 08-05-15, 02:32 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
I have the predecessor to the Phantom, which is basically the same bike. It's great. It freewheels like a real bike, and is much quieter than our old trainer (it's perfectly possible to watch TV at a reasonable volume). It's not silent, but it's not that loud.

It doesn't come with pedals at all, FYI, so budget for that. It does come with a saddle, though obviously you may not like it.
Old 08-05-15, 05:37 PM
Strange

Originally Posted by antimonysarah
I have the predecessor to the Phantom, which is basically the same bike. It's great. It freewheels like a real bike, and is much quieter than our old trainer (it's perfectly possible to watch TV at a reasonable volume). It's not silent, but it's not that loud.

It doesn't come with pedals at all, FYI, so budget for that. It does come with a saddle, though obviously you may not like it.
That's good to hear, since I'm currently leaning towards the Phantom -- I like that it freewheels, and I like that you get (have) to choose your own pedals & saddle.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to a place that has both the Phantom and the Keiser, as well has a half dozen other brands. We'll see what's what.
Old 08-05-15, 07:32 PM
sprince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Strange
So far the two that have caught my eye are the Phantom 1 Indoor Cycle - CycleOps and the KEISER.COM » machines » M_Series » m_Series » M3_Indoor_Cycle. The Keiser has mag resistance, which is spozed to be quiet and wear-free, but it uses a fixed flywheel. The Phantom, on the other hand, has a freewheel, but uses friction for resistance.
I don't know what is available now (aside from any older spinner dirt cheap on craigslist), but something to beware of is seat and handlebar adjustments that have predefined stops. Basically those give you x number of adjustments, all of them wrong. The old Schwinn's use friction and they are very quiet. https://www.buyfitness4less.com/images/spinner%20pro.jpg
Old 08-05-15, 08:13 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I would say that the ability to swap in your choice of saddle might be a big deal. Our gym has the LeMond bikes. They're OK for spin bikes. The saddles aren't horrible.
Old 08-05-15, 08:51 PM
Strange

Originally Posted by sprince
I don't know what is available now (aside from any older spinner dirt cheap on craigslist), but something to beware of is seat and handlebar adjustments that have predefined stops. Basically those give you x number of adjustments, all of them wrong. The old Schwinn's use friction and they are very quiet. https://www.buyfitness4less.com/images/spinner%20pro.jpg
From the photos I've seen it's hard to tell if the stem & seatpost markings on the Keiser and Phantom are fixed stops or merely witness marks. This is yet another thing to check out when I see them in the flesh.
Old 08-06-15, 12:50 PM
Strange

What hath the dog wrought? I just drew plastic on a Phantom 1. They're installing it on Sunday, stay tuned.

Oh btw all the adjustments are non-detented so you can set them exactly. The witness marks are just for reference.
Old 08-10-15, 11:25 AM
Yendor72

How do you like it? I will say that the Phantom 1 looks legit, dang, now I am rethinking my winter set up.
Old 08-10-15, 11:25 AM
Strange

Well they delivered it right on time and set it up…and then I promptly came down with a nasty cold so I can't even try the damn thing out.

Anyway, despite what it said in the sales literature it did in fact come with pedals. Slightly cheesy cage-style pedals with toe clips 'n' straps but pedals nonetheless. Will be replacing these with clipless as soon as my sinuses stop torturing me.
Old 08-17-15, 10:26 PM
Strange

Took the Phantom 1 out for its maiden workout this afternoon. Everything seemed to work fine. The noise is pretty modest, the ride is smooth, and the adjustability really useful. I did replace the stock pedals with Shimano PD-R540s, and will probably replace the stock saddle at some point. I'm kind of regretting not getting a model with the computer, but I think I recall the sales guy saying that the computer can be added later as an upgrade. If that is in fact the case I'll prolly do it at some point.

Anyway, my provisional verdict based on exactly one ride, is that it's a high quality piece of kit, and that I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a serious spin bike.
Old 08-18-15, 10:07 AM
Yendor72

Thanks for the update.