Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Bike/Locks- Thoughts?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Bike/Locks- Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-20, 12:23 PM
BHotch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike/Locks- Thoughts?

First timer singlespeed guy looking for an inexpensive (under $300) bike for leisurely city rides and at times commuting a couple miles to work. Won't be putting a ton of miles on it or doing anything to beat it up outside regular/occasional use. Naturally found the usual culprits; Pure, Golden, Retro, State, etc. From what I've gathered, at this price range they are all pretty much close in quality, which I know is not the best. So that being said, found one from Golden that hits my sweet spot for price. Was looking at the State Core-line, but would be $100 more when factor in delivery. From what I gathered, don't believe it's that much better overall in comparison to justify the price (?). But what do I know.

About the seller, any knowledge/experience with mrbikeshop.com? Can currently an additional 25% off the model w/free delivery( Total -$220). Seems like the right price for the quality. City Grounds has it as well but $50 more. So figure go with the deal. Will take it to a shop to assemble, which I need to do anyway to get the warranty.

Also looking for a recommendation for locks (including size). Will be stored in my building and looking to lock up two bikes together. Thinking U-lock for the frame and back wheels and then a cable for both front tires.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Specs.pdf (111.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-18-20, 12:47 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I have no experience with those bikes.

My current bike lock is a 4 foot long chain type from Kryptonite, specifically the Keeper 712.

I use it for the tire holding bike racks that are common in front of stores around here. The chain is long enough to go through the front frame diamond of the bike, through the front wheel, and into the bike rack. I've also use it to lock the bike frame and front wheel to tall store sign posts for stores that don't have bike racks.

The Keeper 712 seems good enough for shopping trips, but I gotta admit my bikes are inside my locked garage otherwise.

Last edited by FiftySix; 10-18-20 at 12:56 PM. Reason: link