Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Good Westchester Ride Today...

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-20, 04:49 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts

As I watch the weather changing and the days getting shorter, I've been trying to grab as many rides as possible - with and without my wife - within a short drive of home. Yesterday, we meandered around Flushing Meadow Park. Today, I took off on my own to re-discover some Westchester bikeways I haven't put my wheels on in a long time.

I started at Farragut Avenue in Hastings-On-Hudson and rode the South County Trail along the Saw mill parkway about 6 miles to Rt. 119 in Elmsford, where the trail used to end. This was a somewhat disappointing start to the day because I immediately noticed that the pavement has not held up well over the years, making for a bit of a bone-shaking ride.

Curious as to how they finally made the connection to the North County Trail, I continued another mile or so toward Warehouse Road, which is roughly where I used to pick up the North County. They did a good job and I'd like to have continued, but, hoping to take in a few other destinations during the day, I opted to turn around at this point and head back to Rt. 119 and brave the traffic over to Rt. 9, in Tarrytown, about 2.5 miles west. I don't recommend this part of the ride if you're a skittish cyclist in traffic or on wide roads full of cars speeding toward the Thruway.

At Rt. 9, I picked up the brand new Governor Mario Cuomo Bridge (formerly Verazzano Bridge) Bike Path, which was a really pleasant surprise. If you have ever ridden the Walkway Over The Hudson, this is pretty similar, with parking and visitor centers on both ends, an ample amount of space for both cyclists and pedestrians (sort of), and about half a dozen scenic rest stops across the 3.6 mile bridge. I wanted to scout this ride out for my wife, who is not fond of hills, and found it to be pitched in a such a way that I barely felt myself climbing on either side of the crest. Good work.

On the Rockland County side of the bridge, I was psyched to see that the bikeway connects with the Raymond Esposito Memorial Trail, which passes through Nyack, Piermont, and beyond. I haven't ridden that one in a while and was curious to see if it is still as rustic as it used to be; however, knowing that I had to get back to the South County Trail parking lot at decent time, I opted to save this for another October Sunday. Instead, I turned around and rode back across the bridge. 'Nice not to pay the hefty toll.

Back in Tarrytown, I headed south about a mile to Lyndhurst Mansion, where I connected with the southern portion of the Croton Aqueduct Trail and rode 3 miles to Dobbs Ferry. Were I not so cautious about eating out or being around people during this still-active pandemic, I'd have taken some time to explore this cool little town, but instead, I turned left on Cedar Street and left on Broadway/Ashford Avenue (Rt.9) and followed this 1.5 miles back to the Saw Mill River Parkway. I could not connect with the bike trail right away, so I had to ride Rt. 9A for a mile to Lawrence Street, where I got on the South County Trail for the final 1.5 miles to my car.

Total mileage was about 25. Total cost was about $17 in gas and tolls. Best $17 I have spent in a long time.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 10-12-20, 05:22 AM
LarryS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I started at Farragut Avenue in Hastings-On-Hudson and rode the South County Trail along the Saw mill parkway about 6 miles to Rt. 119 in Elmsford, where the trail used to end. This was a somewhat disappointing start to the day because I immediately noticed that the pavement has not heldapproximately up well over the years, making for a bit of a bone-shaking ride.
Gee, I thought everybody enjoyed "the Ole Buttbuster", more fun than the spin cycle of a washing machine!
You're right about the section from Route 119 to Barney Street (La Lanterna Rest.) which is an absolute disgrace. Its bone-shaking and bicycle-shaking as well, and is one long washboard trail with broken pavement.
Despite the above, about half the trail is good along with a poor but rideable section from Eastview to Warehouse Lane. The Section from Warehouse Lane to R119 is obviously very new and good. The section from Barney Street to VCP has reasonably good pavement.
BTW: Eastview is the trailhead for both the NCT and SCT trails. This is based on the Westchester County maps and trail signage. It also explains why no part of the trail from Eastview to Warehouse Lane was fixed during the major repair job. It wasn't the worst part of the trail, but it sure needed work.
Old 10-12-20, 08:44 AM
Papa Tom

It's a shame, because that portion of the South County is not that old and I remember it being so smooth you couldn't even hear your tires rolling. I hope the money is available to repair it.

By the way, I returned to the bridge yesterday, rode across, and connected with the Raymond Esposito/John Clarke Trail to Oak Tree Lane in Tappan. The dirt and gravel of the Esposito Trail (which also used to be called the Nyack Rail Trail) is still in decent shape, as is the pavement on the John Clarke Trail. It's unfortunate (at least for an out-of-towner like me) that these trails don't lead anywhere a cyclist can consider a "destination." I know all about Piermont, but that's off the beaten path. I kind of wish either the Esposito or Clarke Trail would lead to a cool little town with a lively bicycle culture. My wife and I would be up there much more often.

I sort of have the same issue with the North and South County Trails. Don't get me wrong...they are both gems and we are lucky to have them. However, I'd like one of my future overnight bike tours to be New York-based, and I've always assumed the County Trails would play a role in one of those trips. There doesn't seem to be a lot to visit in Brewster, though. Can you convince me otherwise?
Old 10-12-20, 08:51 AM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by LarryS
BTW: Eastview is the trailhead for both the NCT and SCT trails. This is based on the Westchester County maps and trail signage. It also explains why no part of the trail from Eastview to Warehouse Lane was fixed during the major repair job. It wasn't the worst part of the trail, but it sure needed work.
Is Eastview the location of Tarrytown Lakes? I remember starting from there a few times many years ago, but I've kind of lost track of where it is.
Old 10-12-20, 09:24 AM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Is Eastview the location of Tarrytown Lakes? I remember starting from there a few times many years ago, but I've kind of lost track of where it is.
The eastview exit of the sawmill has parking for the trail and is also the location of the Tarrytown Iake (reservoir actually)
Piermont is just a short 2 block ride down ash. Riding out to the end of the Piermont pier makes a nice diversion. You can grab a sandwich at Bunburry's or the Piermont market and eat in the Gazebo in flywheel park or at a bench out on the pier. If you don't want to ride back up ash you can take the less steep S Piermont Ave which gets you to the trail in Sparkill after you pass under the 9W viaduct
Old 10-12-20, 09:42 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
@ Tom

I think it's unreasonable to expect that a rail trail is automatically going to lead you to a destination that meets your definition of "destination with amenities that appeal to you" (my words). It's a former rail line, repurposed to get cyclists, joggers, dog walkers, etc.... off the streets. They do serve that purpose well, but not every trail goes someplace interesting. You read about this a lot, no amenities on a particular trail. The Katy Trail in Missouri is famous for having no water for tens of miles, which requires some planning for cyclists. A planned rail trail is in the works in the Adirondacks from Lake Placid to Tupper Lake. It's going to be 30 miles thru some very empty sections of woods and you have to wonder what family with kids is going to find that appealing. Likewise they are contemplating a trail on the former Tahawus rail line thru the east central Adirondacks, it too is roughly 30 miles of nothing but trees, the northern terminus is at a road, with no towns for miles. I'm not seeing the attraction on that one.

Bottom line is to get to someplace interesting you have to use the trail for however long a section is useful, then get on a road to actually get to that destination. That's the limitation of all rail trails.

And - Yes, Eastview is the section just east of Tarrytown Lakes.

Last edited by Steve B.; 10-12-20 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-12-20, 10:35 AM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Bottom line is to get to someplace interesting you have to use the trail for however long a section is useful, then get on a road to actually get to that destination. That's the limitation of all rail trails.
Yeah, which is fine for ME, but makes convincing less "enthusiastic" riders to come along for the trip significantly more difficult!

Dendawg: I know Piermont very well and usually make it a point to head out to the pier, stop at one of the local restaurants, etc., then huff and puff my way back up Ash Street to the trail. I have also used Piermont Avenue to get back to Nyack. It's a great destination, but unless you know it's there, you wouldn't naturally find it from the trail.
Old 10-12-20, 06:56 PM
dendawg

Originally Posted by Steve B.
@ Tom

I think it's unreasonable to expect that a rail trail is automatically going to lead you to a destination that meets your definition of "destination with amenities that appeal to you" (my words). It's a former rail line, repurposed to get cyclists, joggers, dog walkers, etc.... off the streets. They do serve that purpose well, but not every trail goes someplace interesting. You read about this a lot, no amenities on a particular trail. The Katy Trail in Missouri is famous for having no water for tens of miles, which requires some planning for cyclists. A planned rail trail is in the works in the Adirondacks from Lake Placid to Tupper Lake. It's going to be 30 miles thru some very empty sections of woods and you have to wonder what family with kids is going to find that appealing. Likewise they are contemplating a trail on the former Tahawus rail line thru the east central Adirondacks, it too is roughly 30 miles of nothing but trees, the northern terminus is at a road, with no towns for miles. I'm not seeing the attraction on that one.

And - Yes, Eastview is the section just east of Tarrytown Lakes.
The best rail trail I've ever ridden was Le Petit Train Du Nord in the Laurentiens in Quebec Canada. We did it as a 4 day trip with planned overnights in different B&B's along the way. A bus service carried our luggage between the inns/ 147 miles total. Many of the old stations were converted to restaurants. Around 30 - 40 miles a day of riding and great food.
Old 10-12-20, 07:12 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by dendawg
The best rail trail I've ever ridden was Le Petit Train Du Nord in the Laurentiens in Quebec Canada. We did it as a 4 day trip with planned overnights in different B&B's along the way. A bus service carried our luggage between the inns/ 147 miles total. Many of the old stations were converted to restaurants. Around 30 - 40 miles a day of riding and great food.
The bikeways along the Lachine Canal in Montreal and the Rideau Canal in Ottawa, while technically not "rail trails," are also examples of flat, easy family destinations where astute businesspeople have taken advantage of the trails and opened "destination" cafes, ice cream shops, and other establishments that thrive on bicycle tourism. I see lots of missed opportunities along many of the rail trails here in the northeast for similar attractions. At the very least, someone should be negotiating contracts with food trucks to station themselves at strategic crossroads.
Old 10-12-20, 07:50 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

The bikeways along the Lachine Canal in Montreal and the Rideau Canal in Ottawa, while technically not "rail trails," are also examples of flat, easy family destinations where astute businesspeople have taken advantage of the trails and opened "destination" cafes, ice cream shops, and other establishments that thrive on bicycle tourism. I see lots of missed opportunities along many of the rail trails here in the northeast for similar attractions. At the very least, someone should be negotiating contracts with food trucks to station themselves at strategic crossroads.
I agree that there are missed opportunities. The Henry Hudson trail had zip and it’s been a RT for near 30 years. It seems that Monmouth County just has poor parks management that would know to use this trail to encourage tourism. OTOH, I’ve seen trails where business has cropped up, the Copake Falls location on the Harlem Valley Rail has a very busy deli and store that wasn’t there 8 years ago, as well as the bike store now doing rentals. The Rockaway Boardwalk has a bunch of coffee shops as well as local bike rental locations, I’d say the the NYC Parks Dept. thought this one thru when they rebuilt. It sometimes just takes time and on occasion, government support. I can only hope that TOBAY and Town of Babylon can see the Ocean Parkway extension as an opportunity for some business expansion, bike rentals, deli/food vendors, etc.., to date TOBAY has only reluctantly allows cyclists to use the bath room. Short sighted if you ask me.
Old 10-12-20, 08:06 PM
Steve B.

And as note, the best RT I’ve ridden is the Duchess Rail Trail from Hopewell Junction to the Walkway over the Hudson. The few at grade road crossings are at less busy streets, the busier road crossings have tunnels or bridges, many of the bridges being new, not re-graded original rail bridges. It’s obvious that Duchess County spent a lot of money on this trail.
Old 10-12-20, 09:31 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
However, I'd like one of my future overnight bike tours to be New York-based, and I've always assumed the County Trails would play a role in one of those trips. There doesn't seem to be a lot to visit in Brewster, though. Can you convince me otherwise?
Pretty soon it will be time to stop thinking of Brewster as the end, since the Maybrook is done and just waiting an official opening.

From about a road mile beyond the end of the Put in Brewster, you get on the Maybrook, ride up to Hopewell Junction, get on the Duchess County Trail and take that across the Walkway...

So maybe depending on what's in your joint range, start at Eastview and ride the NCT + Put + Maybrook + Duchess and find somewhere to camp on the west side of the Hudson?

Or maybe somewhere along the Maybrook, perhaps in the Whaley Lake area? There appears to be at least one campground across the lake from the trailway you could presumably backtrack to on roads.
Old 10-13-20, 04:59 AM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by UniChris
So maybe depending on what's in your joint range, start at Eastview and ride the NCT + Put + Maybrook + Duchess and find somewhere to camp on the west side of the Hudson?
Wait, WHAaaaaaa???? Camping??? That's for you young'ns. I need a hotel with a pool and a waffle-maker!
Old 10-13-20, 11:02 AM
dendawg

Wait, WHAaaaaaa???? Camping??? That's for you young'ns. I need a hotel with a pool and a waffle-maker!
Or at least glamping. You ride and someone else has camp set up and dinner ready when you arrive.
Old 10-13-20, 03:22 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by dendawg
Or at least glamping. You ride and someone else has camp set up and dinner ready when you arrive.
Oh...you mean someone at the Holiday Inn? I can do that.

Seriously, camping on a bike trip is one of the things on my bucket list, but as a sweaty Italian who's a magnet for mosquitoes, I get talked out of it every time I start to even think about buying a tent and other camping gear.
Old 10-15-20, 08:48 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
I don't know about the pool and waffle maker, but there's a hotel sort of place right off the trail just north of the Westcherster/Putnam line at Baldwin place.

And I'm sure you could find something in Poughkeepsie or maybe Llyod after the Maybrook and Duchess

So depending desired daily mileage you could probably have a nice, relaxed multi-day trip, anything from four light days to two determined ones (potentially shortened if you start at Eastview rather than Van Cortlandt Park) .

Looks like there are some dining options near Baldwin place but if not there's a large grocery store just west of the country line road crossing with its own dirt track back entrance to the parking lot from the trail, so if they have a microwave in the room... and it's close enough you can go clean up and then backtrack on foot for food. Poughkeepsie obviously there are food options, at least if we get back to a somewhat normal world. Had dinner at a place opposite the train station there once...

Last edited by UniChris; 10-15-20 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-16-20, 06:35 AM
Papa Tom

Good info, UniChris. Thank you.

I still can't believe you do all - or even so many - of these rides on a unicycle.
Old 10-16-20, 12:41 PM
dendawg

Oh...you mean someone at the Holiday Inn? I can do that.

Seriously, camping on a bike trip is one of the things on my bucket list, but as a sweaty Italian who's a magnet for mosquitoes, I get talked out of it every time I start to even think about buying a tent and other camping gear.
We had a friend from Norway that would come over to visit relatives on LI. He would rent a bike and do multi day trips staying in motels. The last time we saw him he took the LIRR into the city to meet us. We took turns riding with him up to Haverstraw where he overnighted in a B&B. The next day he made it up to Hudson, NY. Then through the Berkshires into CT. Eventually to New London where he caught the ferry back to LI. He was in his 70's
Old 10-23-20, 03:05 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Not Westchester, but right across the river, and switched bike for boots, but a with a small group of our usual riding companions I headed up from still pretty green Long Island to the hills of Harriman for a couple of days backpacking through the fall foliage, which is closer to peak. It was freakishly warm, 20-30 degrees warmer and 5x more humid than my last nights in a tent in August. Until the last few hours, it was relentlessly foggy and, if you let it get to you, kind of dismal........but the muted light and colors had an understated beauty all its own. If you like this time of year, grab a bike (or a pack) and head on up. You won't be disappointed.

Likes For kaos joe:
Old 10-24-20, 12:42 PM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Did a section of the NCT from Millwood, that area all been repaved and fixed up nice.

Was going to post some pics but it's giving me trouble
Old 10-24-20, 02:05 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by Jarrettsin
Did a section of the NCT from Millwood, that area all been repaved and fixed up nice.

Was going to post some pics but it's giving me trouble
What's the story with the North Country Trail north of Elmsford as of now (October, 2020)? I haven't been up there in years and, from time to time, I hear stories about sections being closed, etc. I figure I only have a few more good rides left this season and I am considering making the NCT one of them. However, I don't want to head up there if it's not all intact at this time.
Old 10-24-20, 03:54 PM
LarryS

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What's the story with the North Country Trail north of Elmsford as of now (October, 2020)? I haven't been up there in years and, from time to time, I hear stories about sections being closed, etc. I figure I only have a few more good rides left this season and I am considering making the NCT one of them. However, I don't want to head up there if it's not all intact at this time.
The trail seems to be totally complete as far as the pavement goes. Any closures would be due to extremely bad luck which is never predictable. I've mostly ridden from the R118 parking lot into Putnam county and have not seen any problems. I haven't ridden from R118 south in a month or so, but there were no problems there either. The part of the trail on Route 100 seems to be complete. The part south of the Briarcliff Library to and thru VCP is totally open as well. The section from R119 to Barney Street is open but is pretty much a washboard trail.
This is a link to Westchester trails:
https://parks.westchestergov.com/act...ing-and-biking
They send you to Facebook for updates, but this has never been a useful resource due to lack of updates but is still worth checking if you're making a trip up there.
Old 10-24-20, 03:57 PM
LarryS

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The trail seems to be totally complete as far as the pavement goes. Any closures would be due to extremely bad luck which is never predictable. I've mostly ridden from the R118 parking lot into Putnam county or south of the Briarcliff Library and have not seen any problems. I haven't ridden from R118 to the Briarcliff Library in a month or so, but there were no problems there either. The part of the trail on Route 100 seems to be complete. The part south of the Briarcliff Library to and thru VCP is totally open as well. The section from R119 to Barney Street is open but is pretty much a washboard trail.
This is a link to Westchester trails:
https://parks.westchestergov.com/act...ing-and-biking
They send you to Facebook for updates, but this has never been a useful resource due to lack of updates but is still worth checking if you're making a trip up there.
Old 10-24-20, 05:43 PM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
As far as i know all project finish all trees cleared and it open all the way up
Old 10-24-20, 05:44 PM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Likes For Jarrettsin:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.